Adventures in wet tumbling. There's no going back!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    I had always felt there had to be a better way to clean brass. Well I was poking around on YouTube and came across a video where a guy was using a ice cream maker from wallyworld and lemishine. Well I was looking into trying that and came across a guy using the double drum rock tumbler from harbor freit. ($40) so I went that route. After experimenting here and there using the right ss. pins. I found that the pins are not really necessary. The lemi-shine and a drop of dawn is working wonders. Here are some 9mm wet tumbled for 20 minutes using only lemi-shine and dawn and water.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I may have to give this a go. I just dropped a couple hundred rounds in some corncob but by the time I add some polish I could go the wet route I think. On top of that with all of the rain we got here in Terre Haute all of my brass was wet and so I dried it before I dropped it in the tumbler anyhow. Have you tried rifle brass with great success? My suppressed stuff is always super dirty!

Last edited:

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    I may have to give this a go. I just dropped a couple hundred rounds in some corncob but by the time I add some polish I could go the wet route I think. On top of that with all of the rain we got here in Terre Haute all of my brass was wet and so I dried it before I dropped it in the tumbler anyhow. Have you tried rifle brass with great success? My suppressed stuff is always super dirty!

Iv been thinking of a way to seal the brass as brass in the raw tarnishes quickly. I'm thinking nufinish car wax as its water soluble. I'll have to experiment with a sealer as I might try to dip and let dry. I'm thinking car wax is the answer I seek there.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Looks good! Care to post a link to exactly what you bought from Harbor Freight? I may run up and grab one.

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute

Things I don't miss about vibratory tumbling: lead particles in the air from dust with or without a lid. Waiting hours for the media(no matter what it was) to not clean the brass very well. Inspecting flash holes is a thing of the past. Its still a good idea but its a waste of time. Digging caked up media out of 223 casings is unnecessary as there are no solids in the water. I noticed right away that the brass was insanely clean inside and out and several steps were completely eliminated. Big big difference.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Iv done 200 9mm per drum with just lemi-shine and a drop of dawn and ran them for an hour and they were awesome. But I ran 100 for 20 min and they were chemically cleaned as well.

Good to know! I think I would really like this for brass that's extra dirty or I'm worried about getting the inside or primer pockets and junk. Really any necked rifle brass too... I'm sure I'll pick one up here before too long or the next time I get a good flyer. I'm glad you posted this. Thanks!

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    What is good about the dual rotary tumbler is: if you want more capacity, it will gladly accept a large Folger's container. Or a Sam's club giant pickle jar. It is only limited by its motor strength. I haven't maxed out the lil tumbler yet.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Dang thats some nice looking brass. Will have to give it a try.

Which Lemishine are you using? There seems to be 3 flavors.

Thanks for the post.

:yesway::yesway::ingo:

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    As for drying the brass, I picked up a 5 tier food dehydrator at a garage sale for cheap. I put the wet brass in it for 20 minutes at 160 degrees and it's dry as a bone ready to load.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Jerryboy... Picked up the dual drum tumbler at HF yesterday... What is your cleaning formula mix ie- X oz of Lemishine? + Y oz of Dawn?. I'm using soft water. No ss pins, right?

Jerryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Terre haute
    Jerryboy... Picked up the dual drum tumbler at HF yesterday... What is your cleaning formula mix ie- X oz of Lemishine? + Y oz of Dawn?. I'm using soft water. No ss pins, right?

Hi. I fill the tubs about half way and add a 9mm casing of lemishine.and only 1-2 drops of dawn. I have the pins but noticed I didn't really need them. My harbor freight tumbler came with 5 extra belts. I'm still on the first one. Good deal.let us know how you like it. Too much lemishine will give your brass a pink Hugh. Enjoy

Top Bottom