• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    So I have been looking to get started reloading (.223 and 9mm) and after lots of studying, I have put together a list of items that I would like to purchase for my system. I realize that there are several items that I could probably downsize (Electric Case Prep as one example), but I was surprised at the overall cost once I started adding things up. Without a lot of price comparing yet, and not shopping around, here is what I see from pricing at Midway USA:

-Hornady Lock-and Load Progressive Press - $405
    -Hornady Bushings (extra for second caliber) - $29
    -Hornady Lock and load electric case prep (chamfering, deburring, etc.) - $93
    -Hornady Primer pocket cleaners (lg and sm) - $9
    -Hornady Press shellplates (2, one for each caliber) - $68
    -Hornady Case trimmer - $69
    -Lyman digital scale - $60
    -Frankford Arsenal tumbler, separator - $75
    -Reloading trays - $40
    -Case lube, lube trays and case neck brushes - $40
    -Dillon Primer Flip Tray - $30
    -Bullet puller - $30

I am already at $948 without any taxes or shipping, and I still have not added in any dies or reloading supplies (primers, powder, bullets). I already have calipers and a Lyman's 48 ed. book.

This puts me easily over $1,000 without any supplies. Does this seem right?

Are there items I should cut or downsize (the Hornady electric case prep for example)? Items I should upsize (the Lyman scale for example)? I know I want to go with a progressive press, so even though I could save money by going with a single stage press, I am convinced that a progressive press is the way to go.

Any help or advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The calibers you are reloading are some of the lowest return savings for reloading. So it will take a lot of rounds to recoup your cost, if that matters to you. If you are shooting a ton of ammo, it may be worth going with the progressive and such. I have a Hornady LnL Kit and am happy with my production rate and the quality of the kit components. But, I don't shoot 1,000+ rounds a month, and use it mainly for .308 Winchester.

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    Go to Gander or Bass Pro and get a $5.00 RCBS primer flip tray and a $15.00 bullet puller. Buy a Dillon press, it comes with 1 caliber.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I thought I would get into hand loading and picked up a cheap Lee kit for a hundred bucks. By the time I got everything I needed and had my first box of .223 made I had spent a grand.

I now have several grand spent and have a Dillon. I was shocked at what things cost although it has more than paid for itself.

My last 9mm came out at 3 bucks and some change 45acp at 7 bucks a box. It is also a major time burgular. My kids and wife are always at the top of the stairs yelling down at me. I can only load during the night while everyone is in bed.

If I had to do it over again I would go Dillon and wait for used to come up for sale.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Doesn't look unreasonable. I'll second the other replies about searching or waiting it out for second-hand equipment for half the cost (many others get into the hobby then find it to be less cost effective/more effort than they expected) and 9mm and .223/5.56 being not cost effective.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I spent a little over $1k when I started over 10 yrs ago (Dillon 550B). that's about what it takes to load in bulk w/ a progressive, and do other chores in bulk like cleaning brass.

whether it's worth it depends how much you shoot and if you want anything other than basic 115 and 55 gr ammo.

I load 147gr jhp 9mm for $50-75 less per k than factory 115. My ammo is MUCH better, works well in silencers, and is tailored to competition use.
    I can save $100/thou on 55gr 223, or for the same price as factory 55gr junk I can load 'match' 69gr ammo (MUCH cheaper than factory 'match' ammo).

"plinking" ammo it'll take a lot to make it "worth it." 1500 rounds of 'match' 223 and it will all pay for itself.

When I started I was shooting 20-25k / year. The equipment pd for itself in under 1 year with just 9mm.

-rvb

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks for the replies so far guys.

As mentioned, these prices are not from shopping around or looking into used (which is actually a pretty great idea).

My motivation is based not solely on price, although it would be nice to save some money (I am getting 9 mm for about .20 or .21 per round for new and .226 for around .35 per round). I am also concerned about 8 years of Hitlery in office, and ammo availability, plus any accuracy improvements would be an added plus. I have several thousand rounds saved for each caliber, but it is never enough, right? :) I also think it would be a relaxing way to get some extra ammo in the safe.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I am also concerned about 8 years of Hitlery in office, and ammo availability,

It's easier, imo, to store ammo in bulk than components. When ammo gets hard to find, specific/popular powders/primers get hard to find. I don't get where people think reloading will get them through political droughts. The reloading market has been much slower to recover than the ammo market. You can go anywhere and get bulk factory 223 for good prices; it's recovered well. Getting H335 or Rem 7-1/2s, for instance, still requires some luck and searching as inventories are low and often sell out quickly. I haven't seen Fed 100s in a while either. I was able to keep reloading and shooting during the drought thanks to having a big stockpile. I would have needed less of a stockpile if I was shooting factory ammo.

-rvb

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    -Hornady Lock-and Load Progressive Press - $405 If you are committed to getting a progressive press, the LnL is a great choice for the price. If you are patient, you will find better sale prices at Midway, Cabela's or Natchez Shooting Supply.
    -Hornady Bushings (extra for second caliber) - $29 A second set is not really necessary but may be worth it to you. I load too many calibers to justify a spare set for each.
    -Hornady Lock and load electric case prep (chamfering, deburring, etc.) - $93 The hand tools work well unless you plan on loading huge quantities and if that is the case there are cheaper powered options.
    -Hornady Primer pocket cleaners (lg and sm) - $9
    -Hornady Press shellplates (2, one for each caliber) - $68
    -Hornady Case trimmer - $69 Depending on the volume you intend to reload cheaper options are available that may work for you.
    -Lyman digital scale - $60
    -Frankford Arsenal tumbler, separator - $75
    -Reloading trays - $40 Not really necessary or you can make your own cheaper, if you simply must have them.
    -Case lube, lube trays and case neck brushes - $40
    -Dillon Primer Flip Tray - $30 You can get a MTM primer flip tray for $2.99 from Amazon and it works just as well as the overpriced Dillon.
    -Bullet puller - $30

You may also want to add bullet tubes and dies for each to speed things up a bit.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It's easier, imo, to store ammo in bulk than components. When ammo gets hard to find, specific/popular powders/primers get hard to find. I don't get where people think reloading will get them through political droughts. The reloading market has been much slower to recover than the ammo market. You can go anywhere and get bulk factory 223 for good prices; it's recovered well. Getting H335 or Rem 7-1/2s, for instance, still requires some luck and searching as inventories are low and often sell out quickly. I haven't seen Fed 100s in a while either. I was able to keep reloading and shooting during the drought thanks to having a big stockpile. I would have needed less of a stockpile if I was shooting factory ammo.

-rvb

This makes no sense to me, whatsoever. The single largest object to store is the finished product, but if you have 1,000 loaded rounds, and the means to reload each of those cases 10 times, then storing components to reload is a lot "easier" than storing 11,000 loaded rounds of ammunition. (Storing 10,000 primers, 10,000 bullets and 8lbs of Power Pistol takes up a lot less space than an additional 10,000 rounds of loaded ammo.) Stocking up on components you know work well for your firearms is definitely one of the benefits of reloading, because the case is reloadable.

You can get started for less than $1,000, but it all depends on how many rounds you shoot per week/month/year. For almost all shooters, the Lee Classic Turret press is a much better choice for determining whether or not they want to get into reloading on a more grand scale. With a pile of components, you can easily load 150 rounds per hour, even while being cautious, which all reloaders should do.

So, before this discussion goes any further, how many rounds do you plan on shooting?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    -Hornady Lock-and Load Progressive Press - $405 If you are committed to getting a progressive press, the LnL is a great choice for the price. If you are patient, you will find better sale prices at Midway, Cabela's or Natchez Shooting Supply.

Thanks two70 for the great and detailed response. Much appreciated.

So, before this discussion goes any further, how many rounds do you plan on shooting?

I currently shoot about 150-200 rounds/week of 9 mm, and maybe 100 every 2 weeks of .223. Some weeks are zeros due to busy schedules, so the long-term averages will be slightly less than this.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This makes no sense to me, whatsoever.

Lots of variables here depending on situations. and when I say "easier" I don't just mean how much space it takes up.

But as far as storage space, you're thinking pistol. But 1k rounds of loaded 223 doesn't take up a whole lot more space than it's components (4lb jug of powder, bullets, primers). 10k rounds of 223 needs 36lb of powder. If you don't plan to keep 36lb of just one type of powder on hand, it's a PITA to replace during a shortage. And really drives up costs when places put limits on how much you can buy ("oh look, I finally found RL15... for $30/lb... limit 2, with $40 s/h/hazmat. pass.")

it also depends how much brass you keep on hand. I've got several k loaded now and buckets of brass to spare. It's all already taking up room. Space wasn't actually even something I was thinking about when I typed that. I probably already have loaded what most would consider a "stockpile." Having 10k loaded rounds would certainly be "easier" than storing 10k of all the components, incl brass.

Shooting competition, I never get 10 loadings out of pistol brass. I don't know what the number is on average, but it usually gets lost on match day. Sometimes I work matches and bring buckets of brass home. But I can't plan on 10-1 use ratio. Then I have to scrounge for other's brass or work a match or even buy some 1x fired.

The effects of the shortage have lasted longer for powder/primers than loaded ammo (since the ammo makers had to be supplied). Any day of the week I can go locally or online and get 9mm or .223 for good prices. Whether I can find the primers or powder I want is still hit or miss.

So yea, IMO, loaded ammo is "easier" for getting through a shortage. I have enough components to get through several years of no availability, so while as a reloader I've planned for a shortage, I didn't take up reloading as part of a plan.

If someone is worried about ammo shortages from a Hillary win, Id advise them to spend the $ on cases of ammo to tuck away while it's currently cheap/available rather than a press, if that's their reason for reloading.

:twocents:

-rvb

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    If someone is worried about ammo shortages from a Hillary win, Id advise them to spend the $ on cases of ammo to tuck away while it's currently cheap/available rather than a press, if that's their reason for reloading.

:twocents:

-rvb

Thanks Ryan, that is actually pretty decent advice from a practicality standpoint. I am looking forward to other aspects of reloading as well, but maybe with the way of the world, you are right and I should just stock up while the getting is good.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Thanks Ryan, that is actually pretty decent advice from a practicality standpoint. I am looking forward to other aspects of reloading as well, but maybe with the way of the world, you are right and I should just stock up while the getting is good.

There are certainly other reasons to reload (cheaper / better ammo, fun, etc), so don't let me dissuade you.... unless that was your primary motive for reloading.

if shortages are a primary concern, yet you also want to reload, maybe between a used press and some less expensive equipment, you could also afford to get a couple cases of ammo to stock pile away while you learn to load....

-rvb

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    If that's all you shoot then look at just getting an RCBS kit. They run around $300 the last time I looked and it will have virtually everything you need less the dies, brass, primers, powder, and projectiles for the calibers you want. It's a great system to learn with and you will always find a use for the press even if you go with a progressive in the future. I would also recommend sitting down with someone that reloads and learn what all is involved. I have both an RCBS rock chucker and a Dillon 650 setup if you ever get to McCordsville. Send me a PM if you're going to be in the area.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I started with a Dillon 550 and I had under a grand easy and I was pumping out 9mm. I would start there and then later on buy the stuff for 223. Pistol reloading is less of a pain and will be good to learn on anyhow.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I use two single stages one set for crimping and the other for seating. I have trays but do not use them. I will sit there and deprime and size everything with triflow as my lube. I use a lee quick trim and die for triming. After all my brass is past this stage I sit there and manually put one primer down, move to my powder, then use the one press to seat if it measures right, then it goes to crimp, and finally stripper clip. I can do about 50-60 per hr if I don't run into any crimp primer pockets. I only shoot about 100 a month so I am happy with my rate.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

Or maybe diversify. If you want to stock up on ammo, great! Take $400 and buy ammo. Take the rest and buy a single stage kit, powder, primers, and cast boolits to get yourself started. If you go to Midway, and type in reloading kit, you will find very affordable kits. Lee has one for 130.99. Hornady $274.99. RCBS $329.99. It is a good place to start. As much as you shoot, I have to assume you won't have to buy brass for a very long time. Especially if you are stocking up on ammo as well.

Well...probably don't want cast for your .223, but you get the point.

Top Bottom