• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    Does anyone have any experience with one of these presses? I'm looking to upgrade from my RCBS Single stage but I'm not sure I want to drop Dillon-size money right now.

Thoughts?

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I have one and I love it. It's solid, it's heavy, and I've got 4 different turrets all set up (a couple calibers in each) - so when I'm ready to load something else I just switch the whole turret head.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Just can't see what a normal guy would go with a 7-space Turret, and I surely would not put more than one cartridge on a single turret.

They are nice presses, but I think 4 or 5 spaces would have been plenty, and change almost nothing else.

Either way, Forster is the one for me, because it has all the leverage, strength, and power of a single stage, but has the speed of die change of a turret press.

-Nate

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I personally load with a Dillon, and I use it for loading ammo in "bulk" or cranking out ammo. I think if that is your goal you should just save for the Dillon... I have a buddy who uses the Redding Turret, but it's for precision reloading just because it's faster for him than his single stage press. That's the real use I see in it. So in my opinion what you should buy should be based on what you are looking for.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Have one, and like it a lot. Very well made press.
    Like Indygunguy, have multiple turrets, w/ multiple die sets on each.
    Very convenient.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I don't have a Redding but do have the RCBS 6 hole and really like it. I use it for pistol and have .40 and .45 dies on the same head. I don't use a powder measure, I use the chargemaster for my powder. I could see 7 being nice if you want to set up 2 calibers and a powder measure. I'm sure you can't go wrong with Redding. Just depends how you want to set it up.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've never used the Redding turrent, but I've been told that's probably the apex of turret presses because of the bracing system for the turret head.
    Personally, if I were going to make the kind of extra investment in a turret over my Rockchucker Supreme, I'd save up just a bit more and go for Big Blue.
    I just don't see spending the current price of right at the $300 price point for the less capable press when another $100 will get a far quicker press that is universally praised and backed by a company synonymous with excellent customer service, and that's not even taking into account all the upgrade options for the Big Blue, namely the case and bullet feeders.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    While that viewpoint is certainly valid oldpink, I gave up progressive presses because I enjoy the reloading process itself and merely cranking out large quantities of ammo didn't work for me as much. My reloading room has two turret presses and three single stage.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    While that viewpoint is certainly valid oldpink, I gave up progressive presses because I enjoy the reloading process itself and merely cranking out large quantities of ammo didn't work for me as much. My reloading room has two turret presses and three single stage.

Testify, brother.
    Partially because of economic concerns, but also because I enjoy the process so much, I haven't used anything but my ever dependable Rockchucker.
    There's more control over the whole operation, but it would still be nice having an RL550B for my handgun ammo and dedicate the Rockchucker to .30-06 and other rifle loads.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    I have one and I love it. It's solid, it's heavy, and I've got 4 different turrets all set up (a couple calibers in each) - so when I'm ready to load something else I just switch the whole turret head.

Same here with the exception that I use 1 Dillon 650 for 9mm and another for .45. My Redding is used for all my revolver reloads which are shot infrequently compared to my semi-auto pistols. Very nice press and worth the extra few bucks.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    FWIW, any progressive press can still be operated in single stage mode for anyone who still wants to do that.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I had a redding t7 and it's a beast of a press. I sold it and went with a dillon for the time savings. However for my precision rounds I do it all on the forster coax. Best press made imo. It's so easy to change calibers or tools. As fast imo or faster than spinning the turret with all the accuracy of the single stage. Costs about the same as the t7

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Love a turret press, can leave a couple of die sets set up (mine was .44 mag and .243 win).

I find a load for a rig, specific purpose, and leave it. None of this multiple use for one gun.
    Nope..........if I have another purpose, I buy another gun :)
    I repeatably got half MOA loads from my little used Lyman Spar T.

No that won't win benchrest matches, but from a few different sporter rifles, I'd call that plenty good enough.

Ideally, a turret press with a couple die sets in it, maybe spare turret............or just another press.

I had a bud with a Dillon 650. Only running 4 cartridges.............he found two turret presses more to his liking (rather than change shell plates).
    He got a Spar T for pistol stuff and a Mag T for rifle.

Intend to do the same. Did not put together the older Mag T pops got, he asked me to today (so I could take it).
    Old RCBS A2 still in the kitchen, where its been for 40 yrs.

He got this one recently........

0925161325.jpg

That's an old Herters dual ram behind it.

Top Bottom