• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Seems like theres places with the surplus cans still in stock, but when I go to other websites with cheaper surplus, not one of them have any in stock??? I for the life of me can't find anything cheaper than 37c a round!!

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I think the days of cheap 7.62x54R are pretty much over. With various conflicts around the world and with the US blocking imports from Russia, the seemingly endless supply of spam cans of old Soviet bloc 7.62x54R has dried up.

Honestly, with the prices going where they are, I would probably consider switching over to the new made steel cased ammo, as it is non-corrosive. Save your barrels from pitting, especially since even Mosin's aren't cheap anymore.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I think the days of cheap 7.62x54R are pretty much over. With various conflicts around the world and with the US blocking imports from Russia, the seemingly endless supply of spam cans of old Soviet bloc 7.62x54R has dried up.

Honestly, with the prices going where they are, I would probably consider switching over to the new made steel cased ammo, as it is non-corrosive. Save your barrels from pitting, especially since even Mosin's aren't cheap anymore.

I wish I hadn't gotten rid of the 4 crates I had before the block came into play.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Ukrainian Civil War probably has a lot to do with it since significant amounts of the ammo were coming out of that country. I'm sure the Russian import bans hurt too.

Good news is that they're still churning out those spam cans. Maybe in another decade or two they'll start liquidating the 1990s and early 2000s stuff. We were getting the 70's and 80's vintage mostly before things dried out. 7.62x54r is still used in a lot of frontline machineguns in the former Warsaw Pact.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I bought about 15 crates of this stuff during the last ammo scare for $90 / 440 and sold for $90 / $440 to keep the price gougers at bay. Wish I would've kept it now!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

I always chase corrosive ammo with a handful of either steel or brass non-corrosive, then clean shortly after I finish shooting and I have never had a problem.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I always chase corrosive ammo with a handful of either steel or brass non-corrosive, then clean shortly after I finish shooting and I have never had a problem.

I use to do the same thing. But with the price of surplus now, I sold all mine off and started reloading.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I use to do the same thing. But with the price of surplus now, I sold all mine off and started reloading.

The last thing I need is another caliber to reload. I barely have time to keep up with my current production of three calibers. I'll just be sparing on my use of my current stock of 7.62x54r and hope that things improve in the coming years. Like was said above, they're still making and using the stuff. It'll turn around eventually.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Slightly off topic, but did anyone see the movie War Dogs? When they go into the warehouse in Albania stacked to the gills with crates of 7.62x39 spam cans from China, I think I just started salivating a bit (and the Albanian government was selling them for $.02 a round).

war-dogs-jonah-hill-and-miles-teller-in-albanian-arms-warehouse.jpg

Too bad our government is too busy protecting us from the evils of cheap Soviet bloc/Chinese Communist guns and ammo. I remember shooting the Norinco made 7.62x39 ammo in the 90's. It was good stuff. It ran great in my Norinco NHM-91 and Chinese SKS. Those were the days, though. Cheap brass 5.56 from Israel, cheap .308 from Australia and South Africa, cheap 9mm from Egypt, cheap .303 surplus from World War II.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    Slightly off topic, but did anyone see the movie War Dogs? When they go into the warehouse in Albania stacked to the gills with crates of 7.62x39 spam cans from China, I think I just started salivating a bit (and the Albanian government was selling them for $.02 a round).

war-dogs-jonah-hill-and-miles-teller-in-albanian-arms-warehouse.jpg

Too bad our government is too busy protecting us from the evils of cheap Soviet bloc/Chinese Communist guns and ammo. I remember shooting the Norinco made 7.62x39 ammo in the 90's. It was good stuff. It ran great in my Norinco NHM-91 and Chinese SKS. Those were the days, though. Cheap brass 5.56 from Israel, cheap .308 from Australia and South Africa, cheap 9mm from Egypt, cheap .303 surplus from World War II.
    And to think all they had to do was pay the guy that repacked it into cardboard boxes.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Does the US military destroy its surplus ammo or what?

If so, I wonder how much is destroyed per year. In a sensible government it would be funneled through the CMP.

Top Bottom