• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Best? I dunno. It depends on how you hunt, to some extent.

That being said, if the rifle is decent, I seriously doubt under field conditions that you OR the deer would be able to see much difference between a Winchester Super-X 100 grain PSP load, and Hornady's best Superformance.

It just doesn't matter much, unless you are pushing the boundaries of the cartridge such as thinking it is a 500 yard deer rifle, or choosing to take raking or heavily quartering shots.

If I had only one suggestion for you, it would be to find a round that you can afford at least 150-200 of them between now and November, for practice only. Get to know it, log it, and place it in a 6" circle at any prudent range. THAT will make a difference.

-Nate

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Federal Premium Power Shok.
    Don't be upset because it only comes in 80 gr as far as I know but it's designed for Whitetails. I've taken Muleys, antelope, and a half dozen whitetails with the Federal Premium.
    This is a newer round than what I'm using but it's pretty much the same ammo.
    Let me edit what I spaced a moment ago.
    Not all guns like all ammo but I haven't seen a rifle yet that didn't like Federal Premium ammo to hunt with.
    IT's not target ammo and every caliber I've used the premium in has been very good shooting with tight groups for factory chow.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    If I hadn't reloaded my rounds, I was going to try the Hornady American Whitetail. You can find a box of 20 for $20-25. I just heard a lot of good things about the BTSP. Like the previous post said, get some and try it out for yourself. When testing my reloads I shot some Winchester soft points as a reference and they shot less than 1.5" groups at 100 yds. Unless you are planning on stretching out distances, I think just about any 100 gr bullet would work.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Nearly any load with a standard bullet in the 95 to 105 grain range should get the job done in most circumstances so your best bet is to try several brands and see what your rifle shoots best.

Personally, I don't like the caveat of "in most circumstances" and would choose to use a load with a premium controlled expansion bullet, preferably a Barnes TTSX or TSX.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    If I didn't hand load I would go to Walmart and see what's on the shelf. Remington or federal and see what shoots the best from your gun. Walmart ammo prices are hard to beat. There's A Walmart within fifteen miles of me in every direction. When you need more it's not something you have to order or make a road trip to pick up.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If I hadn't reloaded my rounds, I was going to try the Hornady American Whitetail. You can find a box of 20 for $20-25. I just heard a lot of good things about the BTSP. Like the previous post said, get some and try it out for yourself. When testing my reloads I shot some Winchester soft points as a reference and they shot less than 1.5" groups at 100 yds. Unless you are planning on stretching out distances, I think just about any 100 gr bullet would work.

I have been loading and shooting the 100gr Hornady BTSP in 243 for many years. Start this bullet around 2800fps and it performs very well, as long as the shot isn't at 20 yards or 520 yards. I also load the 85gr Partition about about 2700fps, for a reduced recoil load that still has very good terminal performance.

I don't know much about factory ammo for any cartridge, really.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Barnes vor-tx load. the 80g ttsx at 3350 fps. I have hand loaded it to 3400 from my 24" barrel savage 16 and have used it for years on arkansas whitetail. My shots are always under 200 yards due to where the stand is located in the field, complete pass thru from any angle.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Why are you looking at 243 only? If you already have one it makes sense. If not, whatever a 243 can do for deer a 308 caliber can do better and still be good for larger game.

Zinga

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I'll second the "what is on the shelf at Walmart". I have been shooting Core-lokt for decades out of my 270 with excellent results. If your gun likes the core-lokt you will have an inexpensive choice that is available just about anywhere you will go. On a whim I tried some Hornady Superformance at twice the the cost of core-lokt and couldn't hold 5" group at 100yds: I now use the Hornady to foul my barrel after snaking.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Why are you looking at 243 only? If you already have one it makes sense. If not, whatever a 243 can do for deer a 308 caliber can do better and still be good for larger game.

Dead is dead and a .308 won't make a deer any deader. Unless he is planning on hunting out of state for something elk size or larger in the near future, the .243 is a perfectly reasonable choice. Everyone has their favorite cartridge(s) and there's nothing wrong with that.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Dead is dead and a .308 won't make a deer any deader. Unless he is planning on hunting out of state for something elk size or larger in the near future, the .243 is a perfectly reasonable choice. Everyone has their favorite cartridge(s) and there's nothing wrong with that.

Why are you quoting me? My post says nothing about degrees of deadness. All I did was suggest that if a person did not own a rifle already, there may be better choices. Unless the 243 is already owned, why not choose a different caliber that offers more flexibility than the bare minimum legal requirement. I would never go after moose, elk or bear with a 243, and I highly doubt many outfitters would allow it either.

If a 243 is already owned, then a person already has an adequate firearm for deer.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Why are you quoting me? My post says nothing about degrees of deadness. All I did was suggest that if a person did not own a rifle already, there may be better choices. Unless the 243 is already owned, why not choose a different caliber that offers more flexibility than the bare minimum legal requirement. I would never go after moose, elk or bear with a 243, and I highly doubt many outfitters would allow it either.

If a 243 is already owned, then a person already has an adequate firearm for deer.

I quoted you because it sounds like the OP has at the least already made a decision and there's really no reason to try to talk him out of a perfectly acceptable choice.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    LOL, you are quite sensitive. Not judging anything just posting a comment, one that is actually relevant to the thread topic.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    I would never go after moose, elk or bear with a 243, and I highly doubt many outfitters would allow it either.

243 Winchester is perfectly good for elk and moose and at least black bear, plus it has a better trajectory than a 308. There used to be a guy on here who had killed several of all that stuff with a 243. Convinced me to get one for my wife and she killed an elk cow with it. I ended up using it for the next hunt I did and got a small bull. Did fine both time and the guide had no worries with it.

Top Bottom