Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Best factory 243 deer round

As the title says what is the best factory 243 round for deer? Preferable something readily available locally. Thanks

Expert

User Info Menu

Best? I dunno. It depends on how you hunt, to some extent.

That being said, if the rifle is decent, I seriously doubt under field conditions that you OR the deer would be able to see much difference between a Winchester Super-X 100 grain PSP load, and Hornady's best Superformance.

It just doesn't matter much, unless you are pushing the boundaries of the cartridge such as thinking it is a 500 yard deer rifle, or choosing to take raking or heavily quartering shots.

If I had only one suggestion for you, it would be to find a round that you can afford at least 150-200 of them between now and November, for practice only. Get to know it, log it, and place it in a 6" circle at any prudent range. THAT will make a difference.

-Nate

User Info Menu

Federal Premium Power Shok.
    Don't be upset because it only comes in 80 gr as far as I know but it's designed for Whitetails. I've taken Muleys, antelope, and a half dozen whitetails with the Federal Premium.
    This is a newer round than what I'm using but it's pretty much the same ammo.
    Let me edit what I spaced a moment ago.
    Not all guns like all ammo but I haven't seen a rifle yet that didn't like Federal Premium ammo to hunt with.
    IT's not target ammo and every caliber I've used the premium in has been very good shooting with tight groups for factory chow.
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

Marksman

User Info Menu

If I hadn't reloaded my rounds, I was going to try the Hornady American Whitetail. You can find a box of 20 for $20-25. I just heard a lot of good things about the BTSP. Like the previous post said, get some and try it out for yourself. When testing my reloads I shot some Winchester soft points as a reference and they shot less than 1.5" groups at 100 yds. Unless you are planning on stretching out distances, I think just about any 100 gr bullet would work.

User Info Menu

Federal makes the Power Shok in 100 gr and even heavier in the Vital Shok.
    Federal Premium Ammunition - Rifle
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

RMC

User Info Menu

I have used Federal Premium in numerous calibers and it always gave excellent results.
    This is RMC and I have approved this message.

User Info Menu

Nearly any load with a standard bullet in the 95 to 105 grain range should get the job done in most circumstances so your best bet is to try several brands and see what your rifle shoots best.

Personally, I don't like the caveat of "in most circumstances" and would choose to use a load with a premium controlled expansion bullet, preferably a Barnes TTSX or TSX.

User Info Menu

If I didn't hand load I would go to Walmart and see what's on the shelf. Remington or federal and see what shoots the best from your gun. Walmart ammo prices are hard to beat. There's A Walmart within fifteen miles of me in every direction. When you need more it's not something you have to order or make a road trip to pick up.

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgreene78 View Post
    If I hadn't reloaded my rounds, I was going to try the Hornady American Whitetail. You can find a box of 20 for $20-25. I just heard a lot of good things about the BTSP. Like the previous post said, get some and try it out for yourself. When testing my reloads I shot some Winchester soft points as a reference and they shot less than 1.5" groups at 100 yds. Unless you are planning on stretching out distances, I think just about any 100 gr bullet would work.
    I have been loading and shooting the 100gr Hornady BTSP in 243 for many years. Start this bullet around 2800fps and it performs very well, as long as the shot isn't at 20 yards or 520 yards. I also load the 85gr Partition about about 2700fps, for a reduced recoil load that still has very good terminal performance.

I don't know much about factory ammo for any cartridge, really.

User Info Menu

Just go get some corelokt PSP. It works, has for years and is found just about anywhere.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." Voltaire

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast