• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I finally got started reloading, went with the suggested load, and test fired my first batch. 115gr Xtreme plated bullets with 4.0gr of Titegroup. Everything was fine, each round cycled, but I noticed the brass had powder burns on the outside. I read it was lack of case expansion, and to increase the load, but the max suggested is 4.2...I have grown attached to all ten of my fingers and would rather not lose them.

What should I do?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    the max load in the books is the max load their lawyers and insurance agents have approved as well so there's probably a fair safety margin ther. load em up.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    looking at the hodgdon website...
    the load for jhp is 4.5-4.8. I don't know why the load for LRN is so low (3.9-4.3) other than maybe to prevent leading resulting from TG being faster/hotter than most (and a shorter aol). with plated I'd lean more to the jacketed range, and at least go 4.5.
    work up; watch the primer.
    what's the chrono telling you? I bet you're under 1100fps

-rvb

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    looking at the hodgdon website...
    the load for jhp is 4.5-4.8. I don't know why the load for LRN is so low (3.9-4.3) other than maybe to prevent leading resulting from TG being faster/hotter than most (and a shorter aol). with plated I'd lean more to the jacketed range, and at least go 4.5.
    work up; watch the primer.
    what's the chrono telling you? I bet you're under 1100fps

-rvb

I do not have a chronograph..

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Assuming a std oal, 4 grains is too light. I run my 115g at 4.2-4.3 grains and those are pretty soft-just barely making "power" for IDPA. Start at 4.2 and see where that gets you.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    A lot of my pistol loads will be smokey when trying to load lighter, especially with titegroup. If it cycles the pistol, I don't really care. I suppose you get more fouling, but meh??? Also, I have found that my plated loads did best between the cast lead data and the jacketed data.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    When I first started using Titegroup I noticed the same issue, the titegroup stain, common issue with this powder. Besides the brass stain are you having any other issues? I use Xtreme plated and load using the jacketed range (not load max range).

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    When I first started using Titegroup I noticed the same issue, the titegroup stain, common issue with this powder. Besides the brass stain are you having any other issues? I use Xtreme plated and load using the jacketed range (not load max range).

No other issues, but I only shot about 20 rounds

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have found Hogdons online to be good and in line with what I am using for load data. Generally plated bullets can be loaded to the upper edge of the lead bullet range. If I remember right you are loading with a Lee Turret press. Try the next size larger disc setting which should be around 4.2-4.3 grains if the one you are using now is 4.0. Give them a try. Go with the one that shoots best. I bet somebody has a chrono you can borrow. I would shoot for at least 1130 fps or 130 PF.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I have found Hogdons online to be good and in line with what I am using for load data. Generally plated bullets can be loaded to the upper edge of the lead bullet range. If I remember right you are loading with a Lee Turret press. Try the next size larger disc setting which should be around 4.2-4.3 grains if the one you are using now is 4.0. Give them a try. Go with the one that shoots best. I bet somebody has a chrono you can borrow. I would shoot for at least 1130 fps or 130 PF.

Thanks, I'm trying to find a load so I can come shoot on Sunday!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks, I'm trying to find a load so I can come shoot on Sunday!

Figure out what your disc drops for powder. Probably have two choices. For example 4.0 & 4.3 grains. One of those will be correct. Go with the one that functions or shoots the best.

Pull the barrel out of your gun. Find a clean piece of empty brass that will fit in the chamber. Put a bullet in the brass and place in the chamber. It will push the bullet back. Measure and back off just a bit. This is your Max COAL. If you load for multiple guns use the shortest length.

Double check against a chrono. If 130-135 power you are good to go.

unfortuanately I don't own a chrono and borrowed one myself. I have ammo if you need some.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    My 115 Xtreme plated load is 4.3gr of Titegroup with a C.O.L of 1.100. It's extremely controllable and accurate out of my Glock and I've had no signs of pressure issues with it. As for powder burns on the brass, it happens and it's nothing to be worried about.

When it comes to reloading, the listed data is simply a reference. Look at your brass for pressure warnings and work up a load that shoots well for you. Also, I highly recommend the Lee Auto Drum over the discs.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Pull the barrel out of your gun. Find a clean piece of empty brass that will fit in the chamber. Put a bullet in the brass and place in the chamber. It will push the bullet back. Measure and back off just a bit. This is your Max COAL. If you load for multiple guns use the shortest length.

for a 115 ball I can't imagine having to worry about running the bullet into the lands. 1.125 give or take and go. his 1.13 is fine. Run too long and you'll be back to having low-pressure issues; I bet you'd have to go 1.160+ before you start touching lands. most guns run out of space in the mag before they do in the chamber (a few exceptions like some of the tangfos guys are competing with, but they usually need a 147 or bigger loaded long to have issues, so some guys have had to have the throat cut back).

I load 147s to 1.150 and have yet to have it be too long in anything...

ps. the only way you could do that effectively is with the barrel in the gun to use the breach to get exact max length...

-rvb

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I just got done loading a thousand Rainier 115grn plated pills in 9mm with Titegroup and mixed brass. I also noticed a lot of soot on the lower end of my starting loads. I shoot for accuracy and found my Glock liked 4.2 grains of powder at 1.145 OAL.

Have to figure out your needs and adjust accordingly. Your in the ballpark.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    for a 115 ball I can't imagine having to worry about running the bullet into the lands. 1.125 give or take and go. his 1.13 is fine. Run too long and you'll be back to having low-pressure issues; I bet you'd have to go 1.160+ before you start touching lands. most guns run out of space in the mag before they do in the chamber (a few exceptions like some of the tangfos guys are competing with, but they usually need a 147 or bigger loaded long to have issues, so some guys have had to have the throat cut back).

I load 147s to 1.150 and have yet to have it be too long in anything...

ps. the only way you could do that effectively is with the barrel in the gun to use the breach to get exact max length...

-rvb

True I doubt there would be any issues with 115 round nose. 1.125" seems to be the go to length. I am loading a 124 gr flat nose and it gives me fits in all of my Walther pistols if loaded too long.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Ive never found increased accuracy by loading longer, but for some reason I still load at 1.145-1.155. It makes more sense to load shorter to me. Like 1.10". I dont think the super accuracy is needed unless you shoot bullseye. (Im up in the air on this.) I load 3.55 grains titegroup and 124 CMJs at 1.150 and get 1025 FPS from my STI.

Top Bottom