• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    I have about 700 or 800 empty 12g shells that I'm trying to figure out if I should reload them. Is it cheaper to reload them then buy new? is it hard? What info do I need to start?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Unless you are going to reload them multiple times and ultimately shoot thousands of rounds it is probably cheaper to buy new ammo. If you are serious about shooting some sort of clay pigeon game and have a load that you and your gun like that duplicates a premium factory load (like Winchester AA) then reloading will eventually pay off - really though you won't save money, you will just shoot more for the same amount of money (and have more fun!). It's not hard if you are using common components and once you have your machine set up (there will be a trial and error period where you screw things up or don't have ammo that performs as good as you like). Start by reading shotgun specific forums and loading manuals - it's not like loading for metallic cartridges. I hope this helps get you started - I load both metallic and shotshell for both performance and cost savings. Please feel free to let me know if you have more specific questions. Hull selection is important in reloading shotshells.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    +1000 on all that Aaron told you.
    It's almost impossible to beat the price of most 12 gauge and 20 gauge field loads if you reload, with only the more expensive factory loads (steel, specialty turkey, buck shot) giving you room to beat the price at all.
    Now, if you reload for the less popular shotshells, say 16 gauge, 28 gauge, or especially .410, it's definitely still quite worthwhile from a cost savings aspect to reload.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    +1000 on all that Aaron told you.
    It's almost impossible to beat the price of most 12 gauge and 20 gauge field loads if you reload, with only the more expensive factory loads (steel, specialty turkey, buck shot) giving you room to beat the price at all.
    Now, if you reload for the less popular shotshells, say 16 gauge, 28 gauge, or especially .410, it's definitely still quite worthwhile from a cost savings aspect to reload.

+1 on this. I used to reload 12's but it has gotten to the point where the math doesn't work for me. Now if you scored a deal on reclaimed shot I might be able to see it. Also keep in mind that not all shells are created equal when it comes to reloading. The Winchester AA worked great for me but the cheap hulls didn't hold a crimp for me..just my experience running full boat 1 1/4 oz loads the cheap hulls wanted to come uncrimped.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    +1 on this. I used to reload 12's but it has gotten to the point where the math doesn't work for me. Now if you scored a deal on reclaimed shot I might be able to see it. Also keep in mind that not all shells are created equal when it comes to reloading. The Winchester AA worked great for me but the cheap hulls didn't hold a crimp for me..just my experience running full boat 1 1/4 oz loads the cheap hulls wanted to come uncrimped.

Right on about the richly deserved reputation of the Winchester AA.
    Those hulls are hands down the overall best of them all, and you can load them as lightly or heavily as you like.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I reloaded shotshells since 1968 and have several progressive presses. I used to load out a keg of powder (3000 shells) in a single afternoon. In those days I reloaded for quality shells for well under 1/2 of new price. With the price of lead shot and Quality components, I save less than $1.00 (20%) a box over factory Remington Gun Clubs and Federals. I am not going to load for less than a dollar a box, especially since I can afford the extra $10 a week. I keep the equipment cleaned and oiled in storage just in case it is needed when things change. Say you get an entry level progressive like a MEC grabber. The press and a few accessories uses up a $400 bill pretty quick. It will take over 400 boxes (not counting time) to break even. Do you shoot that much? Even a single stage MEC is pushing $200 these days. I bought my first MEC jr singe stage for $29.00 at a department store.

That said, I know people who reload just because they like to. Technically, almost any shell can be reloaded. Can be does not mean they should or that they are trouble free. The problem is some of the foreign made shells have loose primer pockets with American primers. Some hulls are tapered,and some straight, you really need the right wad for the hull you are using. The old one piece compression formed Winchester AA hulls were great, the new multi piece AA hulls are problematic. Federals run a separate base wad, and are ok, (with the proper wad) but I only reload them once for use in a pump or semi auto. This is based on the fear of the base wad coming loose and left in the barrel, ruining the gun. With a break open, you can visually look down the barrel every shot and check for a clear barrel. I never had a wad jam, but I am not risking a gun (or my face) to save 2 pennys on a hull. The Remington STS, Nitro or Gun Club hulls are still pretty good.

If you are bound and determined, I'll be glad to help you with specific questions, or help you find the answers.

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    I think i wanna do what i have just to be able to say i did it lol. I have someone offering to let me borrow a very nice reloading machine if I want so I don't have to worry about that right now. Where is the absolute cheapest place to buy shot? What about powder? Most are just winchester universal (7.5 shot size) 12g shells.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Currently costs $4.81 in material to reload a box of 12ga 1oz loads for me, even less for 20ga 3/4oz. Not only do I reload for relaxation and enjoyment as Leo suggested; by reloading there is more control over the recoil I'll be exposed to when compared to the bargain factory loads available around me. When I encounter AAs I toss them in my brother's bag and when he finds Remingtons, he tosses them my way. Maybe it's one of those Ford Chevy things, but neither of us has as good of results loading the other's favorites.

If you get up by the Howard Twp Conservation Club (Niles) on Wednesday nites, I've been told Ken sells shot, powder, wads, & primers for about as cheap as you're gonna find close by. Everywhere else up around here is hit and miss unless you are willing to drive to Ostego, MI.

Last edited:

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    My first taste of reloading as a teenager was loading all of my shells for skeet shoots during the summer... A little over 75,000 rounds later, I can say reloading of any kind can be looked at one of two ways: (1) You reload because you like to shoot and you're saving money to fund your habit and shoot more OR (2) It's another element of the 'gun culture' and you find reloading a hobby all its' own.

At this point (for me) shotgun shell reloading isn't fun. On the smaller gauges, you can save a tremendous amount of money vs factory ammo - sadly, the same can't be said for 12ga and 20ga.

However, if you're reloading for the enjoyment and experience, go for it. Shotshell reloading is among the simplest forms of the craft (craft = reloading) and one where your final product appears - in bulk - much faster than either rifle or pistol reloading.

A couple of things to remember when loading shotshells:

1) Pay attention. It's easy to get distracted or let your mind wander... Focus on what you're doing. A primer going in upside down or an irregular charge can cause major problems, and cocked wad will also be a menace.

2) Take your time. Again, misaligned primer, bad powder charge (or no powder if not paying attention), or cocked wad can cause major problems.

3) Ask questions. Don't hesitate to ask questions about your loads or process.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I have about 700 or 800 empty 12g shells that I'm trying to figure out if I should reload them. Is it cheaper to reload them then buy new? is it hard? What info do I need to start?

You did not say what kind of shells. If they're multi-piece shells, and you're a beginner, it is not worth it. Pitch them and be done with it.

If they are single piece target shells, and you're a beginner, it is still probably not worth it for you to do...however, you could take them to a club that shoots trap on a weeknight, and sell them for 40 bucks.

Loading multi-piece shells, and I cannot stress this enough, is not worth it for a beginner just to say you did it. It is a potential safety issue, and they are not meant to be reloaded. 699 of them may work just fine. The club will invariably have a guy who will claim he's done thousands of them with no trouble. But don't stand next to him when he shoots. I know one gentleman who ringed a Perazzi TMX barrel just this way.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I'm about 25mins from Niles. Who would I have to talk to to be able to buy stuff there? Just show up?

There's a Calcutta Shoot this Sunday morning at Edwardsburg Conservation Club, understand Ken will be there with supplies to sell. Rather than render my own low opinion here on those hulls, perhaps an internet search on "reloading Winchester universals" will enlighten why many if not most just toss them. If you do proceed, I'm told they are straight walled, unlike the tapered AAs, so should use a different wad. Good Luck

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I used to load shotshells, 420 and 12 ga, when I shot registered skeet. I shot thousands of shells a year and lead WAS cheap back then so it made sense. Lead is not cheap, or at least as cheap as it once was, and I don't shoot skeet now, no where nearby to do it. I have found you can buy shotshells a lot cheaper than make them yourself these days. I admit to loading some exotic stuff now and then for fun, I have the loaders so why not? Other than this though, I buy what I need as far as basic shotshell types go.

as for the hulls, I loaded mostly AA's but I also like the Remington green and gold hulls. Mostly AA's though and they worked out great.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    My cost is $4.67/box for 1 oz 12g loads with retail priced components currently. When I started, it was more like $4.25. I used to put $5 in the jar for every box I took out to fund loading supplies. Did that for several years and always had supplies and cash in the jar.

However, the lead I am currently using I got a deal on 2nd hand and I am currently loading for about $3.75 a box. When this supply of lead is done with I will likely take a break from it and go back to factory rounds and of course save the hulls for another day while I keep my eye out for a deal on shot. I do not run reclaimed fwiw.

It took me 1 year to break even on the press ($1000) running around 10 boxes a week...

I've always had the policy that if I can buy 12g for $5/box I buy it.

Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    So I have been looking and exploring local gun shops and few in Illinois where I used to live. I found a Lee shotshell reloading kit that has the powder measure, shot measure and the tools to de prime and re prime.
    I also found a crimping tool that has the 6point and the 8point crimps. Got it for $5 so that is great.

What tools do I need to crimp the shells? From what I am seeing there are two crimping tools you need. A crimp starter and then the one that closes it. Is that true?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    So I have been looking and exploring local gun shops and few in Illinois where I used to live. I found a Lee shotshell reloading kit that has the powder measure, shot measure and the tools to de prime and re prime.
    I also found a crimping tool that has the 6point and the 8point crimps. Got it for $5 so that is great.

What tools do I need to crimp the shells? From what I am seeing there are two crimping tools you need. A crimp starter and then the one that closes it. Is that true?

If you shoot any volume of shells you will become very tired trying to keep up using a Lee loader. Plus, although I've not used one, I would think using the Lee Loader would not make consistent reloads. My suggestion would be to check eBay or Craig's list for a basic MEC reloader. I would also strongly suggest a MEC that will allow you to resize the brass. Otherwise, you may experience feeding problems. As has been stated, unless you just want a new hobby, you can buy 12 and 20 ga. shells new just as cheaply if you watch for the sales. .410 and 28 ga is a different story. Those gauges sell for over $10 a box retail.

Another alternative would be to start showing up at some local trap shoots on a regular basis and see if you can make friends with a shooter or two that currently reloads. Politely explain that you are considering getting into reloading - and hopefully one of the shooters might offer to let you watch some shells being reloaded. They could also share best places to purchase components.

Good luck.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I bought single stage MEC earlier this year and all of the components in bulk. And there it all sits. I am happy that I have it all because I am the type of person who appreciates having the items even if I don't use it. Also, I shoot a winter league and don't do much shotgunning in the summer.

Part of the reason I bought all of the gear is on my math and research I decided that I can load AA quilty shells at gun club prices. It remains to be seen if that will work out.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    ...What tools do I need to crimp the shells? From what I am seeing there are two crimping tools you need. A crimp starter and then the one that closes it. Is that true?
    That is true, however the MEC and even the LEE DoAll will or should come with those. It normally isn't like metallic reloading where one purchases a press and dies for each stage separately.

Top Bottom