• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Picked up some Armscor 36gr HP .22L @ Rural King the other day when it was on sale for $3.99 for a box of 50. Wanted to see how it worked. So here is my opinion. Fired from a brand new Ruger Charger. 100 rounds, no, repeat, no failures. Every round went boom at the right time. Was slightly less accurate @25 yds than the Rem Golden 36gr HP that I had on hand. New cases are coated with a dry lube film that gets all over your hands, kind of sticky. Left a lot of gunk in action but did not cause any issues. Dirty ammo, but it worked. Not my top choice, but could get by if it was the only thing available.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    that seems to be the general consensus. It goes bang but isn't even in my top 10 choice wise lol. I received a 500 round brick of it as a gift. I shot it all and had very little positive to say except that it was free 22lr in the middle of the drought lol.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll never try them again. Had one with no powder go off in my Ruger MKii. Bullet lodged in the barrel, easily came out though.

The gun has 15k+ through it and has never had a problem other than a non-fire due to a bad cartridge. I've put 2,000 plus rounds through it since that day, zero problems.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I'll never try them again. Had one with no powder go off in my Ruger MKii. Bullet lodged in the barrel, easily came out though.

The gun has 15k+ through it and has never had a problem other than a non-fire due to a bad cartridge. I've put 2,000 plus rounds through it since that day, zero problems.

Looks more like an Out of Battery dicscharge. :dunno:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Looks more like an Out of Battery dicscharge. :dunno:

You know, when I was reading Big Tanker's original thread I kept thinking the same thing but didn't say anything. The mangled brass and oddly deformed bullet (not symmetrical at all) make it look like the round was cockeyed and only part way in the chamber when it went off. The indent on the case rim also looks unusually large and deep for a Ruger Mark II, from memory I don't think it matches up with the firing pin shape of that particular gun very well.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I am always cautious and leery of new/foreign ammo. Guess the results support my caution.
    Hmmm, I have fired probably ten thousand rounds of various countries, "foreign" ammo of various calibers.

Seems to all go bang, sure some is "corrosive" but I clean my weapons, even my 22's. I use foreign commercial ammo too, Serbia seems to make particularly nice ammo IMO. In fact, though, while I have some Armscor, I haven't needed it yet since I had/have a lot of 22 of various type around and always do.

Thanks for the quick review, I will note this and perhaps shoot it up and get the dirty rotten ammo out of my stock. :):

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    You know, when I was reading Big Tanker's original thread I kept thinking the same thing but didn't say anything. The mangled brass and oddly deformed bullet (not symmetrical at all) make it look like the round was cockeyed and only part way in the chamber when it went off. The indent on the case rim also looks unusually large and deep for a Ruger Mark II, from memory I don't think it matches up with the firing pin shape of that particular gun very well.

Yep. Not a firing pin indentation. Definitely an OOB discharge. IMHO. ;)

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    A follow-up to my earlier post: Have now fired 300 rounds of this Armscor 22 in 2 10/22s and a S&W 17, not a single failure! Accuracy is not bad at 25yds, but it is greasy to handle and dirty to shoot, but otherwise is ok. Won't be afraid to purchase more.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

No powder in a .22 LR case doesn't mangle/destroy the case like that one has been destroyed.

Now - perhaps it didn't get into battery fully due to it being dirty from all the other Armscore stuff...

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    No powder in a .22 LR case doesn't mangle/destroy the case like that one has been destroyed.

Now - perhaps it didn't get into battery fully due to it being dirty from all the other Armscore stuff...

I think the assumption that it didn't have powder is incorrect. I think it had powder, just that because most of the round was outside the chamber most of the powder gases vented out the top of the gun mangling the case and basically just shoving the bullet only a short distance into the chamber/barrel - note that the bullet does not have rifling marks on it, just the weird deformation on the side which looks like it got hung up on the edge of the chamber.

Top Bottom