Advice needed about reloading press I could use!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rratledge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2014
    Milan
    I have been loading for over 15 years but came down with MS. I started with Lee single stage but moved to Dillon 550 soon after.
    MS has robbed me of my legs and one arm is becoming very weak. I can still load some but it is very slow and difficult and sometimes painful. I would sell the dillon and get a full progressive with case and bullet feeder but I am scared of getting a press that needs too many tweaks and modifications to run efficiently and make me more miserable than I am. Any suggestions?

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The greater the complexity of the press the more “fiddling” is required: press setup for a new run, caliber changes, periodic quality checks during a load run (i.e., checking powder throw weight, OAL, etc.), clearing primer jams, restocking casefeeder (and/or bullet feeder) reservoir, etc.
    I think increasing automation (i.e., complexity) will be more difficult vs. simplicity (less difficult).
    Solution: get an ARC (Automated Reloading Companion). So both of y’all can enjoy reloading together, and your ARC can automatically do those tasks that are more difficult for you.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    jglevyjr has a great idea. Find a reloading buddy, share your equipment, have them pull the levers. If I was closer to your location I would be glad to help out.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    First, I'm very sorry to hear about your medical condition.
    That must be an incredibly difficult thing to deal with, especially with a hobby that you love.
    Yes, a reloading helper would be great for some of the more difficult tasks, leaving you to explain what needs to be done.
    As a suggestion, maybe you could get your wife (assuming you have one) or one of your kids (assuming you have them) to be your helper.
    You would be killing two birds with one stone that way, by getting the help with the physical tasks and by training someone in your own family how to reload.
    I don't know exactly how your MS is limiting your movements, but I would think that the greater complexity and greater force required to operate the ram would make a progressive tougher for someone with a degenerative disease that makes physical activity difficult.
    A single stage might be better, even though there are more steps for each round loaded, simple because you can deal with any hitches you may encounter and better observe the all important powder charging section of the process.
    However, if you get a family member to help out, the Dillon would be great, although the learning curve would be steeper, but not too bad because you'll be there to explain how to do it with hands on.
    Good luck.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have been loading for over 15 years but came down with MS. I started with Lee single stage but moved to Dillon 550 soon after.
    MS has robbed me of my legs and one arm is becoming very weak. I can still load some but it is very slow and difficult and sometimes painful. I would sell the dillon and get a full progressive with case and bullet feeder but I am scared of getting a press that needs too many tweaks and modifications to run efficiently and make me more miserable than I am. Any suggestions?

If you have the budget:
    1050 + bullet feeder + drive system (e.g. ammobot). yes, a little extra set up, but then you sit back and watch the ammo get made.

-rvb

rratledge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2014
    Milan
    Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. You point out some things that I hadn't thought of but one thing I do face is that there are few load reloaders in my area. My son is willing to help but he's in the film business and is always gone. I will use your suggestions and make some decision thanks

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'm trying to think what it would take to reload single handed with the presses I've been introduced to as well as considering the capabilities of my Aunt who had MS. It seemed she lost fine motor skills but maintained gross skills for years afterwards, although with reduced strength.

I do think with your reloading experience a fully progressive may help out, especially with a bullet feeder. I've got a Hornady Lock n Load. I've installed a bullet feeder die, but don't have a bullet collator, instead put bullets in tubes similar to primers. That greatly reduces the amount of hand motion and finesse that it takes to load a case leaving only the insertion of an empty case into the press.

Caliber conversions are another consideration. If you stepped up to the Dillon 650, you still have to deal with the brass buttons as well as the shell plate, just as you do with your 550. The head should be similar to swap as it is on your 550. Large to small primer changes may be an issue.

If you switched to the Hornady, there is only the shell plate with no buttons, but it is surrounded by a finicky spring that takes 2 hands to install. this spring is considered a wear item so will need replaced even without caliber changes. Additionally changing primers from large to small would be tough with one hand. Based on this I wouldn't recommend the Hornady (even though I personally love it).

I realize you are new to the forum, but there is a reloading company in Indy that apparently has a full installation of Dillon equipment. I've not been there myself but would suggest that you take a trip there and take a look at the 650 yourself to make your own decision.
    --Rick

Searching the forum itself it may have been Bobcat Armament in Shelbyville which would even be closer. Give them a call to verify that they have what you need.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No matter which brand of press you use, you might try having someone make you a different pull lever.
    If you extend the lever length, you increase your mechanical advantage, requiring less force to accomplish the same task.
    You could also increase the length of the levers between the handle and the press.

All of this would require more travel, but would be mechanically easier.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    If you have the budget:
    1050 + bullet feeder + drive system (e.g. ammobot). yes, a little extra set up, but then you sit back and watch the ammo get made.

-rvb

I love the Mark 7 but you can buy a LOT of ammo before you ever start to break even. Personally, I would just buy ammo and enjoy shooting without the hassle of reloading.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    My question would be to ask why are you reloading? Is it to save money, make better quality ammo, or is it the enjoyment of the hobby? Obviously, there are elements of all three of these motivations in each of us, but if the hobby aspect is important, then an automated system like a 1050 would take away some of that pleasure. Basically, you load it up, turn it on, and watch it make ammo. After a few days of that, I would be bored I'm sure.

Some of the appeal for me is the tactile aspect of making the bullets myself. It is a therapeutic, relaxing experience. Something "brainless" in some respects, and yet complicated in others, but certainly something that gives the reloader some pride and pleasure.

With a reloading buddy (or family member), at least you get to share the experience with someone you care about, but you are still losing some of that feeling that you are making something with your own hands.

The very best of luck with solving your dilemma.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Think I would dump handloading all together and consolidate firearms. Shoot cheap as you can and sell brass to recoup a few bucks. It's something we are all going to face at some point.

Top Bottom