• 147gr 9mm Powder

• Total voters

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Looking to start reloading 147 gr (or something around that weight) 9mm and wanted INGO's thoughts on powder choices.

I listed what seems to be popular powder choices. If you choose "Other", please say what powder you prefer.

Mainly be shooting out of a CZ75 and a S&W 639.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I would go No7 or Power Pistol. I wouldn't use Unique for anything unless black powder were my only other option and I would be wary about using Clays for anything heavy.

W231 is fine and Tight Group is way too fast.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I picked PP because thats what I use for the range of weights 115-147. The double edged sword of it is that the drops are bigger which cost more per round but fills up the case better (debatable how much that matters in 9mm). Truth be told it was the powder that was available when I got into reloading.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Voted for Titegroup, I've just recently started reloading 147 gr 9mm's with Titegroup for low recoil loads. It took a little more adjusting to get the desired results than the 115gr projectiles, but I think I'm going to stick with this load for a while due to the accuracy and faster double taps.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    What do you want to do with the load?
    If you are going to shoot action pistol where heavy bullets and fast powders rule, you want AA2, Bullseye, or other fast powder.
    If you are thinking that you want to load for self-defense, and you think 147gn is the right weight, you would want a slow powder for maximum velocity.
    The thing is, you have to know what you want before you can make a decision: maximum velocity, minimum felt recoil, what?

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    What do you want to do with the load?
    If you are going to shoot action pistol where heavy bullets and fast powders rule, you want AA2, Bullseye, or other fast powder.
    If you are thinking that you want to load for self-defense, and you think 147gn is the right weight, you would want a slow powder for maximum velocity.
    The thing is, you have to know what you want before you can make a decision: maximum velocity, minimum felt recoil, what?
    Great Q. I plan to mostly use for range time, both paper and steel. I like the way the heavier bullets shoot compared to the 115 gr. My main focus will be on precision and not so much on velocities. I really just wanted to get a powder choice or two to start with to see what I learn I like and don't like with the loads it can produce.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

superluckycat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2016
    Madison
    I started out loading 147's and now load 125's for the cost savings.

I find the difference in recoil to be negligible.

I shoot the same Bill Drill times with either load.

Top Bottom