• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Has anyone tried the Speer plastic training bullet? Looks like a simple way to shoot inside when the weather is bad.....also possibly good for training inside.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    They pretty much work as advertised. Follow the instructions, especially the part about cleaning the primer fouling out of your bore every 10 shots or so. The main primer compound is lead styphnate, when it decomposes (goes off) it leaves powdered lead compounds in your bore. Normally it is blown out of the bore by the powder gasses, but when only the primer is used all that residue just sits in your bore (heaviest near the chamber). If you let it build up, it sort of becomes a solid mass (instead of a loose powder) and is a real pain to clean out - almost like regular leading from improperly sized/lubed cast bullets.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have played with hot glue sticks in a 1911. They are .45cal and whack cardboard pretty good. Not good to be breathing that crap in the basement so I quit. Better off hand loading for the cause and filling the ammo cans. I picked up some steel cased ammo for when I cant retrieve my brass in bad weather.

I know the cowboy guys load foam earplugs and hog the brass out to except a shotgun primer. That would be for .45LC

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've played with the .38spl plastic cases and bullets, primer fired.
    They are rather fun.
    In a LARGE basement, we hung a sheet about 25' out with a paper target hung 6" in front of the sheet.
    The plastic bullets cut a pretty nice round hole in the paper targets, much like wad-cutters.
    Sheet caught them with no damage to the bullets, and they just fell to the floor in a nice neat pile.

We were shooting a snub-nose Taurus, and a S&W Chiefs special.
    Lots of fun, but a LOT louder than expected.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Not good to be breathing that crap in the basement so I quit.

The smoke/residue from primers is really bad for you. If you do, make sure there is a substantial air exhaust that does not allow the poison into you house furnace system. And wet mop the floor from you to the target with a mop and bucket that you do not use for anything else. That was the training when I worked at the indoor range.

That said, I used to shoot .22 rimfire pistols in the basement as well as the Speer plastic target bullets. Like anything, a little bit occasionally probably will not make a big difference, That is my opinion, but I never went to Med school.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I used the 45acp version for a short time 35 years ago. Loading one at a time in a 1911 got old quick and without good ventilation in the basement, I gave up on them.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I cast some bullets from glue sticks a few years back. I fired them 3 or 4 times. They held up pretty well.

Shot them from a S&W .38 snubby. Not great groups, but fun to shoot.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Back in the day (mid-late 1980's) USAF SP's we use to utilize wax bullets for training indoors in our USAF issued S&W model 15 38 special revolvers (yes some AF bases issued revolvers until the early 1990's)

Basically prime the case and push it down in a block of wax it looked like a wadcutter.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Back in the day (mid-late 1980's) USAF SP's we use to utilize wax bullets for training indoors in our USAF issued S&W model 15 38 special revolvers (yes some AF bases issued revolvers until the early 1990's)

Basically prime the case and push it down in a block of wax it looked like a wadcutter.

I have done the same thing. As some one above said, you will need to open up the flash hole for the primer to avoid the primer popping out of the pocket. It seems counter intuitive, but the reason primers don't pop out with the much higher pressures of regular cartridges is the case pushes back against the face of the receiver and pushes it back in. If you have one pop out in a revolver it can lock up the cylinder.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have done the same thing. As some one above said, you will need to open up the flash hole for the primer to avoid the primer popping out of the pocket. It seems counter intuitive, but the reason primers don't pop out with the much higher pressures of regular cartridges is the case pushes back against the face of the receiver and pushes it back in. If you have one pop out in a revolver it can lock up the cylinder.

We never experienced the primer set back. I can only presume but I believe that was due to the wax we used (thickness of the blocks) had just enough weight there was more resistance than with plastic or rubber bullets

Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Thanks to everyone for the responses! I've heard of the wax but would be afraid of it melting and getting everywhere in the firearm. I'm going to try the Speer plastic in a 38 snub-nose revolver.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks to everyone for the responses! I've heard of the wax but would be afraid of it melting and getting everywhere in the firearm. I'm going to try the Speer plastic in a 38 snub-nose revolver.
    I've used them many years ago and they work as advertised. I don't know how accurate they really are at greater distances than 7 yards. I once used one to pop a stray dog. It made him decide that my property wasn't the place to be and it didn't penetrate, so didn't do any damage. As a matter of fact, I found the plastic bullet and used it again, but not on a dog. I think they are best when used for revolver training.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have .45 Colt cases drilled out for shotgun primers and load them with wax bullets. I use them to practice drawing from a holster and firing.

Top Bottom