• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Obviously, the cases are different and I assume the charges are different. What actually makes it different? Why can't you load a 223 with the same charge?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    22-250 is a totally different beast. It's a n down necked down 250 Savage. My cousin has one. It's a neat round but basic on totally different brass. Much fatter case. Bigger base and tapered more.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Yeah, I knew there was a speed difference. I don't load so I didn't realize 223 case couldn't take that much more powder.

That speed difference has to come from somewhere. . . And it's usually more kaboom. Almost always provided by more powder. . . .which requires more room. . .

Yup, the case is mucho bigger.

But seriously, Rookie, If you have a curiosity about this sort of thing a reloading manual can be fascinating reading. The nuances of powder/bullet combinations, The pressure differences created by a difference of internal case volume within different lots of brass in the same caliber. A lot to think about.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    It's a Ferrari and a Cavalier. They weigh about the same. But there's more under the hood of the Ferrari.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    So, how much room is left in a 223 case after you fill it with powder? Is it basically full, half full?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    When you fill a case with powder, It is full. I don't think it is half full.

Somehow, I think beer or cocaine is involved in this post.

Lol, nope. I was looking at my friend's 22-250 and realized the bullet was the same. I don't reload, and I don't care to start, but I was curious what made the 22-250 so much faster. I assumed powder charge was a reason, but I wasn't sure since a straight wall case (like a 458 socom) doesn't push a bullet as fast. Of course, some of it has to do with the size of the bullet too...

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    There are over 110 different smokeless powders available to the reloader and even more to the factories. Almost all have different burning speeds and will generate different pressures depending on several factors including charge weight, bullet weight, bullet type, case volume, and so on.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    So, how much room is left in a 223 case after you fill it with powder? Is it basically full, half full?

Are you being sincere?

If so, load density, powder burn rate and maximum average pressure are just a few of the idiosyncrasies of internal ballistics. Lee Modern Reloading is a good book to read if you REALLY want to know more; for beginners, the ABC's of Reloading is probably a better choice.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes, I am being sincere. I'm not interested in reloading, but I was curious. I've pulled a 22 apart and it wasn't full, and I'm sure there's a reason for that. I was just wondering how much powder difference there is between 223 and 22-250 or if the case was what made the difference since the bullets are the same.

Shibumiseker and SSGSAD answered, thank you.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yes, I am being sincere. I'm not interested in reloading, but I was curious. I've pulled a 22 apart and it wasn't full, and I'm sure there's a reason for that. I was just wondering how much powder difference there is between 223 and 22-250 or if the case was what made the difference since the bullets are the same.

Shibumiseker and SSGSAD answered, thank you.

Powder density can vary wildly based on chemistry and the size and shape of the granules. The charge of any round is based on weight, not volume and largely determines velocity. .223 has been optimized to make the most use of case capacity using military powders as have most modern military rounds. Light and fluffy powders are often used for subsonic rounds to avoid accidentally double charging or flash detonation.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Rookie you talk about the actual bullet being the same and in that regard a .300blackout, 30-06, .308, 30/30, .300 win mag all take the same size bullets but the case size is very different so different amounts of powder which causes much different velocities.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    More powder is not the only answer. Powder burn rates go into that equation. If the powder is too fast, the pressure will go sky high instantly and blow the rifle to bits. Folks in Fort Wayne saw an AR-15 turn into multiple pieces of shredded metal when using too fast of powder. Luckily, none of the injuries were fatal, but the potential was there.

The higher powder charges are usually slower burning powder to even out this pressure curve.

Top Bottom