• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trsowders76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2014
    Bedford
    Recently purchased a glock 24c with a kkm 357 sig conversion barrel. The 357 is limited in my area so I figured I will roll my own . If anyone has any good recipe or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    No,you get a manual and use that load data.
    The .357 Sig was designed for FN and JHP bullets and has a VERY short neck and can be a challenge to load for.
    You need to watch for case length growth like any other bottleneck case, except you may need a die that will flare the case mouth (if the die set doesn't come with one).
    Good luck, but don't think you can just use someone else's pet load without both verifying it and working it up from the start load.

trsowders76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2014
    Bedford
    I have been going through manuals , and will definitely verify any recipe before I load it. Thanks for the advice was just wondering what was working for other people. I will also chrono all the loads.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You have been given good advice to stick to published load data.
    I've never loaded for the Sig round, but one thing I've learned of right here on INGO is that you'll be best served with it by getting bullets specifically for it, which (hopefully) your load data should list.
    The reason is that there are many bullets of the right diameter (.355) that were originally designed for the 9mm, .380, and other autos with the same bore diameter that are tapered, while the bullets specifically for the Sig round are straight-sided, which allows them to stay much better crimped for the very short necked Sig case.
    Also, as with just about any other cartridge, you should make your first rounds using the starting load data, then work your way up, all while studiously looking for pressure signs in your fired brass until you get to the level of performance and accuracy that you want.

EDIT: Here are two examples of of the bullets expressively for .357 Sig:

Self-defense (Gold Dot) - http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?id=175

Plinking/target shooting (TMJ) - http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?id=176

Last edited:

trsowders76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2014
    Bedford
    Thanks for the advice and will definitely use starting load data first, and definitely get the right bullets for it. My main question is what powders and bullet combos are working the best .

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks for the advice and will definitely use starting load data first, and definitely get the right bullets for it. My main question is what powders and bullet combos are working the best .

Going by www.loaddata.com data, some of the recommended powders are AA#2, AA#5, AA#7, AA#9, Alliant Blue Dot, HS-7, HS-6, Herco, Unique, Power Pistol, Longshot, Universal, and W231.
    Predictably, AA#9 and AA#7 were among the powders that indicate top velocities with 125 grain and heavier bullets, while Unique and others in its burn rate category are mid-range.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Yes I load for it. It's fast ,over 1400 fps, so you have to use jacketed bullets, not plated. The best powder I found was Longshot and am going to Power Pistol next. Those are two I recommend most. Most definitely Longshot. Oh yeah 125gr Hornady XTP

Last edited:

Jim McKalip

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    The Lee factory crimp die in .357 Sig solves a lot of bullet retention problems. It's a collet die rather than a taper crimp and crimps almost the entire neck rather than just the mouth. I'm not a Lee fanboy, but this die is a winner.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The Lee factory crimp die in .357 Sig solves a lot of bullet retention problems. It's a collet die rather than a taper crimp and crimps almost the entire neck rather than just the mouth. I'm not a Lee fanboy, but this die is a winner.

This right here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The Factory Crimp die is excellent for any handgun cartridge, but it would definitely be particularly useful for the Sig round.

trsowders76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2014
    Bedford
    This is what I was looking for guys! Now I know what powders and bullets to start with that will hopefully yeald me good results. I will definitely make sure to get the lee die, and thanks to everyone for lending me advice. Going to go out and shoot up some factory ammo today and get to know this weapon!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This is what I was looking for guys! Now I know what powders and bullets to start with that will hopefully yeald me good results. I will definitely make sure to get the lee die, and thanks to everyone for lending me advice. Going to go out and shoot up some factory ammo today and get to know this weapon!

Glad to have contributed in some way.
    Definitely give an update once you've had a chance to make up your initial loads.

Top Bottom