• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    article on it in the latest issue of combat handguns by chuck taylor .
    anyone shot any of it ? can purchase direct from the factory . price is around $1 per round , give or take a bit depending on the caliber.

if you read the article and check their web site it has the capability of a great defensive round at a measurable amount of reduced recoil !

may order some of it . if the info is very close to being accurate it is only a matter of time before the secret is out & the price will increase & availability to get it will be difficult . :twocents:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've never heard of it before but did a quick search.

Frangible ammo for self defense doesn't do anything for me. Stick to the proven SD loads (HST, Gold Dot etc).

There is no magic bullet. These bullets fragment away when they hit something hard. What if you do need to shoot through glass, a wall, a car door etc. The bullet ain't going to get there.

But in theroy, missing your target and having the bullet hit a wall and turn into dust instead of hurting someone on the other side of the wall sounds great.

Your choice to make.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They aren't secret, they've been out for awhile. They market well and they may look good in clear gel testing. What they don't do well is penetrate bone. I had a child, 8 years old IIRC, accidentally shoot themselves in the forearm with a CZ polymer pistol found under the couch. The gun was loaded with those light weight fragmenting rounds. The child shot herself in her left forearm. The bullet struck one of the forearm bones (radius or ulna, I don't recall which) and stopped. It made a very messy, and VERY shallow, injury. If it won't get through a little girl's arm at near contact distance, I'm going to figure it won't go through a grown man's ribs, either.

Heavy for caliber bonded hollowpoints. Proven in FBI testing, proven in the streets...and many are cheaper than the BS rounds.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Hst and Gold Dots are just about the best that is out there along with a couple others. There is so much info on the web on this subject matter. With all the data I've read and seen these are all I will carry. Save yourself money and use something proven rather than ammo such as this. I would not carry that in any of my SD firearms.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    I did a series of tests on the DRT ammo which is NOT sealed on the primer annulus and found it was easily made inert with common gun lubricants (oil and Break Free).
    Stick with Gold Dots , Federal HST, or Hydra Shocks which are sealed. In Gold Dots we trust!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I saw these marketed years ago as well.
    They were being touted as being "proven in a big sand-box" to stop an aggressor in his/her tracks.
    They even nick-named it "Dead Right There", but many sources questioned those claims and they seemed to disappear.

I don't really know a lot about them, other than the fact that they are not new.
    I have no first-hand experience with them.
    YMMV

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    thanks for the info . i load my carry & house guns in 357 & 9mm with gold dots or mag safe rounds . have always liked 230 gr hydra socks in 45 cal. the hew ammerican gunner defense ammo is a good bet also . i may be mistaken , but i thought the drt web site touched on the penitration issue , car windshields etc.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Did you know that not even the Federal Air Marshals carry frangible ammunition?

Lots of folks seems to believe that they do, for some reason. Probably because airplanes.

Anyhow - they carry Sigs (229 and/or 239) stoked with Speer Gold Dots.

NO ONE should carry those stupid gimmick rounds for any kind of serious self-defense.

Top Bottom