• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have been storing my 9mm handloads in some MTM boxes (100rd), but I am finding that they are hard to store that way. They don't fit well into the ammo boxes I have.

With my factory loads, I keep them in the cardboard boxes with the plastic dividers for long-term storage (since they come that way), but then usually dump 300-400 rounds into a sealable Tupperware container that I keep in my range back. They are easier to load this way and they take up a lot less room in the range bag.

Is there any reason that I should keep them in the MTM boxes for long-term storage? It certainly makes inventory a lot easier since you can easily count them. If I just dump the bulk rounds in my ammo boxes with some desiccant, is that a safe way to store them?

armstrongchris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Should be fine to store them with desiccant. Not likely that there will be any damage done to FMJ, JHP, etc. I shoot a BTSP and those bullets come from the factory shipped as you describe. I don't see a significant amount of damage to the nose, but I am researching a meplat uniforming tool to try to make them consistent.

In the end it comes down to what type of bullet and the intended use.

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    I put mine in ammo cans loose with desiccant, never had an issue. I'v been doing it that way for 30 years now. I use blue masking tape with the date and load inside. It saves a lot of space. I also keep my factory rounds in ammo cans.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I just toss all my reloads in a plastic or metal ammo can. I usually put a couple dissectant packs in there as well. But stored ammo for years without doing even that. Bulk ammo and components are in my garage. Ammo always goes bang. I wouldn't sweat it OP.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Most of my stuff goes into 20 or 50 round plastic boxes.
    Calibers like .45ACP or 9mm that I do in batches of 4-500 at a time get tossed in a plastic ammo can.
    Have never used a desiccant, have never had a problem.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I use old factory boxes/dividers, with large white labels on the handloads with the load info.

Why would storage of handloads be any different than storing factory ammo?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Sounds like an almost unanimous response, thanks everyone.

To address LP1's question:

Why would storage of handloads be any different than storing factory ammo?

Of course there is no difference, but I store my factory ammo in the boxes they come in, and then put them inside of big ammo boxes as they are. I only take out several hundred at a time and put them in a bulk storage format for convenience. I know you can buy bulk ammo in cans and buckets, although I have never done so, but that is what got me to thinking that it was probably OK for long-term storage of my handloads as well.

Thanks again everyone.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Metal ammo cans with desiccant. I used to use the plastic ammo boxes but found that I can store more ammo with less space just putting them loose in ammo cans. For indoor range trips, I'll put ammo in the plastic ammo boxes or a G-Code bang box instead of lugging a full ammo can for a 30 minute trip to run a drill or 2. I also used to use plastic zip-lock bags inside the ammo cans to separate in to 100 round "packs".

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Counting your reloads and putting them in little bags is to stressful. Then you know exactly how much you are shooting and what it costs. Easier to dump it all together and grab handfuls like they are M&Ms. Guilt free pleasure!!!! Just like M&Ms or eating a whole baking pan full of brownies one little slice at a time.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I used a plastic can last year for my 9mm reloads. Switching to 50 cal metal one this year. Have plenty of ammo cases sitting on the shelf unused as I switched to just dumping both 9 mm and 357 in ammo cans.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Store? :dunno:
    Heh, I normally store what little was left from the last range session in the range bag, in magazines. I load more a day or two before the next one.

Top Bottom