• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jelzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    New Albany
    I've been offered a trade for 2 MEC reloaders and I don't know much about reloading. One is a 9000 and the other is a 600jr.

I do shoot a ton of 12ga, so I am entertaining the trade and becoming a reloader, I just don't know if these are good units or not, or what a guestimate value would be?

Any feedback is appreciated!

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    They are good units to have if you reload shotgun. I use to but with the increase in shot prices it was more economical to just buy the factory shells. last i reloaded for 12 gauge it was adveraging 5 dollars a box.

jelzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    New Albany
    hmm, I hadn't thought about that. You bring up a very valid point, and it's probably the same reason it's offered for trade!

Thanks for the input!

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I have the MEC 600 Jr and it's a good press. But, as already mentioned there is very little savings in reloading shotgun shells right now unless you are loading Buckshot or slugs.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    The 600JR carries a resale value of about $75-$125 depending on condition and how badly one wants it. Resale on the 9000 is around $350 on up, depending on condition and whether it's paired with hydraulic or electric actuation. A novice to shot shell reloading would be advised to shy away from a 9000 unless they have experienced eyes to look over their shoulder as there are more adjustments on this press by virtue of it's features that can be a source of frustration. An argument of price comparison between factory loaded and hand loaded shot shells becomes moot when one understands the versatility acquired when choosing loads.

If both of these presses are of the same gauge, I'm not certain why you would want both.

jelzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    New Albany
    Thanks for the input 4651feeder!

I have a pic of the 9000 and it is manual - no hydraulics or electric. I do have some friends that reload and I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping me learn.

I think they are both the same gauge, but am still waiting to get a pick of the 600jr.

I get all of the manuals, about 1000 wads, 1200 primers, very little powder and shot along with both reloaders.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    ...I get all of the manuals, about 1000 wads, 1200 primers, very little powder and shot along with both reloaders.

New wads start at about .02 each and primers .03 each. More so than metallic, shot shell components are load specific; meaning one should consult one of the online powder guides to determine what is compatible with the hull/load chosen. Guess I'm saying the components you mention may be worth a few $ or nothing to you depending on what you want to load.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Long time shotgun reloader, I reload to get the shells I want for the game I'm shooting and not to save money. As stated component prices are high (lead) and add your time spent reloading, you don't save anything. Good luck.

jelzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    New Albany
    I think you all have made my decision pretty easy for me and I'll probably be staying a non-reloader for now. With 2 young kids and a demanding career, I don't have much spare time anyway.

It doesn't sound like the 'extras' offered are worth much anyway.

Thanks for all of the input and information!

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I've been offered a trade for 2 MEC reloaders and I don't know much about reloading. One is a 9000 and the other is a 600jr.

I do shoot a ton of 12ga, so I am entertaining the trade and becoming a reloader, I just don't know if these are good units or not, or what a guestimate value would be?

Any feedback is appreciated!

If you're serious that you shoot a "ton" of 12 ga. I think you should consider reloading. Reloading benefits you in two possible ways. First it can save you a little money. It won't save you huge sums of money if you buy cheap discount shells and wait for the sales and rebates. You have to be really diligent and patient to find those deals. If your preference is to shoot quality shells - Remington STS or Winchester AA - then you can save some money reloading. You can also tailor your reloads to equal the higher quality shells instead of being stuck with shooting Estates or Rios which are minimally acceptable in my opinion.

The second benefit is being able to tailor your reloads to fit your specific needs. You didn't mention what type of shooting you do. Trap, Skeet, sporting clays, bunker trap, five stand, or handthrown clays in the back yard. You also didn't specify what you considered a "ton" of shells. Reloading for 12 ga. can allow you to produce a 1 1/8 oz, 1 oz, 7/8ths oz, or even 3/4 oz she'll. All have their use. 1 1/8th oz for serious trap or skeet shooting. Especially handicap trap. 1 oz for practice or 16 yard trap. 7/8ths for practice or for lighter recoil. 3/4 oz to save on shot costs. If you're a backyard clays shooter none of this is important.

Re: which reloader - go for the MEC 9000. If you're shooting a lot you'll want to minimize your time at the reloading bench by cranking out the most shells in the shortest period of time. There is no comparison between a progressive press ( the 9000) and a single stage (MEC 600). If you're uncomfortable at first with the auto index feature on the 9000 you can disconnect that feature and advance the shells by hand until you become more proficient. MEC reloaders are equivalent to a Dillon re: market share. More people use MEC reloaders than any other - I bet 100 or more to 1 so don't worry about quality or design. If you can get the MEC 9000 for $350 or less and it's in really condition that's a good price and you could always get your money back out of it if you change your mind. The 600jr - is probably a $100 reloader.

If you truly do shoot a ton of shells the arithmetic re: cost savings may or may not be a little marginal. Especially if you place a monetary value on the time you spend reloading. If you factor that in it may not make sense. If you want to save a little money, tailor your shells to specific needs, and consider reloading a secondary part of your shooting hobby - then go for it.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    As someone that once averaged shooting close to 10k+ shotgun rounds a year, The only thing I would reload for now is 28ga and .410... Component cost (primarily lead) is more than 3x what it was 15 years ago. Additionally, unless you're shooting 28ga or .410, there are a number of shell brands that can be had for 5.45 a box while on sale (12 or 20 ga) -- 12 gauge shells cost $4-$4.50/box to reload 15 years ago. It's not worth my time for the few pennies I save reloading shotshells.

Top Bottom