• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gyro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    I have a dedicated room in my basement that is only used by me for reloading and other gun stuff. Things are usually quite organized but every once in a while...
    Yesterday I began to clean things up to get ready to load ammo for the upcoming season. I found a primer tube full of small primers. Having both small rifle and small pistol primers on hand I just decided to play it safe and dump them in the trash :-(
    I also found that I had left my powder measure about 1/4 full of powder with a piece of painters tape on the tube with nothing written on it. Fortunately my Hornady measure meter assembly is labeled for powder and grains. This kept me from having to dump the powder.
    Yesterdays discovery has caused me to rethink how I am approaching my reloading processes and reaching out to others for ideas on what they do. If anyone has any thoughts please share.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    JMHO, finish what you start, mark everything, do one thing at a time .....

Reloading, and "gun stuff", is NOT the time for "multi tasking" .....

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    I have done the same thing with primer tubes.
    Since then I have dedicated tubes for SR, SP, and SPM, LR, and LP. I mark the tubes with a sharpie.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I only place one kind of powder and one kind of primers on the bench top while loading. When done whatever is left goes back into original container and put away.

If I get tired and need a break I leave things as they are with powder can and primer box on bench. That way I know what's in the tubes and hopper.

Never a problem.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I only place one kind of powder and one kind of primers on the bench top while loading. When done whatever is left goes back into original container and put away.

If I get tired and need a break I leave things as they are with powder can and primer box on bench. That way I know what's in the tubes and hopper.

Never a problem.

This

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    With some primer manufacturers if you flip the primer anvil facing up, the primer mixture will have a colored coating identifying what primer it is. Like with Federal, regular LR primers will have a pink to red color and LR Magnum primers will be purple.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have all my primer tubes marked as to type of primer, as to powder i keep the bottle out next to dispenser so i know what is in it, keep only one powder on bench at a time helps too!!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I try to finish things up, but do work on rifle and pistol caliber stuff at the same time.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Learned a long time ago to label everything that's out.
    Even if you get called away for something, (and you will at some point), it's not a big deal because you know where you left off.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    The one "one type of item at a time" is a good rule. One of the things I did was to buy a small whiteboard about the size of a clipboard. I Velcroed it to the wall so I can pull it down easily, I then write all the particulars for whatever I'm loading at the time.

For example right now my board says

40 S@W
    CCI 300
    AA#7 9.3 gr.
    165gr. Berry's
    OAL 1.125
    Mixed H.S.

This helps me know what should be on the bench, and keeps me from having to keep looking back at the book. Just make sure you write it down on the white board correctly.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    The one "one type of item at a time" is a good rule. One of the things I did was to buy a small whiteboard about the size of a clipboard. I Velcroed it to the wall so I can pull it down easily, I then write all the particulars for whatever I'm loading at the time.

For example right now my board says

40 S@W
    CCI 300
    AA#7 9.3 gr.
    165gr. Berry's
    OAL 1.125
    Mixed H.S.

This helps me know what should be on the bench, and keeps me from having to keep looking back at the book. Just make sure you write it down on the white board correctly.

Great idea! I'm going to do this today. Thanks for the post!

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield

Never a problem.

Yep. This ^^^^

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I only have the components I am using on the bench. I do not store anything in the reloading area. The other powder/primers/bullets are kept put away in properly labeled containers. Before I leave the bench, whatever I use is put back away. Being deliberate in every step all but eliminates the possibility of fouling something up.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I load everything on a single stage press. I will process a large amount of brass, clean, deprime, size, bell, and prime that particular batch. After that I load as needed. Only thing that is out at any given time is either primers or powder. When I am done for the day powder always goes back in the bottle. This way, for me at least, things stay organized.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The only components on my bench are cases and projectiles being currently loaded. Powder stays in the original container and locked in storage. Primers stay on the bottom shelf off to the left. If I leave off for a while, I will write down complete load data on a slip of paper and put it in the powder feed. That stays with the turret head in case I have to remove it.

Last edited:

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy

Never a problem.

I second this

Top Bottom