• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pool67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Homecroft
    I have been reloading 9 mm and 45 ACP plated bullets for about five years with no problem, My question is loading 38 caliber lead bullets should I order .357 or .358 dia. I see mainly .357. Beside lugging the barrel and find it maybe oversized is there another reason for the two different sizes, looking for suggestion on the best dia. to order.... THANK YOU

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Lubed lead bullets oversized for the cylinder throats and cylinder throats larger than groove diameter are what I have found to generally give the best results.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Lead bullets are NOT a one-size-fits-all item.
    For auto-loaders, the bullets must be at least 0.001" larger than the actual (not the assumed) groove diameter of the barrel.
    For revolvers, the bullets must be as least 0.001" larger than the actual (not the assumed) groove diameter of the barrel, plus they must be at least a snug slip-fit in the cylinder's throats. If the cylinder throats are 0.357" and the actual barrel groove dimeter is 0.358", no matter what size bullet you use, the throats will swaged it down to 0.357" and the bullet will suffer gas cutting the barrel.
    Thus, if you don't want to measure anything, you use 0.359" and hope for the best.
    If you want to go by SAAMI, then the lead bullet should be 0.359" (+0.000/-0.0030) to fit all guns. The cylinder's throats should be 0.3580" (+0.004/-0.000) and the groove diameter should be 0.355" (+0.004/-0.000). However, that is for ammunition to fit all guns and not ammunition tailored for YOUR gun(s).
    As you can see, you could have a gun that meets all SAAMI specifications with throats that are 0.362" and a 0.355" groove, or one with throats that are 0.354" and a groove diameter of 0.359".

Top Bottom