Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x54R

Plinker

7.62x54R

In this day and age when did a span can of 7.62 get to be over 200 dollars?It's not like the Russian's have only made eleventy billion rounds of this stuff over the last 100 years.

Because THEY can! .22lr shortage=high price=all ammo=high price.
    The colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Obama's Russia ban.
    “Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.” -Chesty Puller

Sharpshooter
    On gunbroker they range from $185-$240. Seems like I've seen them pop up in the classifieds on here for $150 so definitely search around. While you know it was much cheaper at one point, some people don't and will pay the high price never giving a second thought about it.

I know someone sitting on about 30 spam cams of X54R.
    I think he's planning for the next Russian revolution.
    NRA Instructor/Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

Sharpshooter
    I've got 10 cans stashed that I purchased for between $60-90 over the course of the last 5-6 years, but I doubt we will see that again.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Plinker
    I just find myself buying ammo and putting it back now for my boys not so much for myself.I hope this helps them in the future with the uncertainty of things. I just remember buying my first m44 and 440 round spam can for 120 bucks. Long gone are those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tula47 View Post
    I've got 10 cans stashed that I purchased for between $60-90 over the course of the last 5-6 years, but I doubt we will see that again.
    Depends or not if Trump nullifies Obummers ban on firearms related things with Russia.
    The unarmed man is not only defenseless - he is also contemptible.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryN View Post
    In this day and age when did a span can of 7.62 get to be over 200 dollars?It's not like the Russian's have only made eleventy billion rounds of this stuff over the last 100 years.
    A lot of other countries made it , too. Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, China, Romania, Ukraine, as well as a few others.

A very large chunk of past imports came from countries that were changing from Warsaw Pact to NATO spec weapons and ammo. All those dried up years ago. That leaves basically the countries that still use Warsaw Pact type stuff- Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, China, and a few other smaller countries.
    Imports from China, Belarus, and a few other ex-USSR nations have been banned for a lot longer than Obama's ban on Russian imports, Belarus for one from day 1 as an independent nation. That leaves Russia, no go because of the Obama ban, Ukraine, and a very small number of smaller countries.
    Then then there is the situation between Ukraine and Russia. A very large percentage of imports of surplus x54r ammo prior to the Crimea deal actually were coming from Ukraine. Since then, a lot of what would have been sold on the surplus market has been used in the Donbass fighting and hoarded for use in the event of an invasion by Russia.
    So, because of empty ammo dumps, bans, and invasion fears, we're left with a very small number of smaller countries as sources of imports. Some won't export, others are sitting on theirs, and others simply just didn't have the large dumps that were present in the western parts of the ex-USSR.
    Last edited by johntheplinker; 02-17-2017 at 20:39. Reason: typo

Sucks. I'm tempted to start reloading it vs paying that much for spam cans.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast