Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhart View Post
    Thanks for all the reply's

To answer a few question, I have shot the course of fire before several time but not since my military days, so not with in last 15 yrs, and not a bullseye style mach it was just measueard hit or miss on man size target. This will be a different game and require different approach.

So the reason for the 55 grain is one cost savings while working on just getting consistent tight groups. No real need to throw high price when just working on getting groups tight. (if I'm wrong please tell me). But that was my thought process.

As for choosing the 68 grain Hornaday or 69 Sierra. I have a box of both I was gonna try and see which one would hold better groups in my rifle. But for this year will be a year of learning the ropes I hope to be competitive but not my main goal really it's my love for and missing shooting long range. So with that and wanting to keep it simple (ie.) load everything mag length. I was looking at the lighter grain h-68, s-69. I was under the assumption that the larger ones would be incapable of magazine load. Also I wanted to keep my range card simple to calculate and figured a consistent load one yardage to another would be easier and more simplified. Especially since I will be using a scope on my ar with a ballistic calculator to figure dope for the yardages. Cause as of this point I have been unable to shoot beyond 100 yards. Trying to find a range I can join to be able to get at least a 200 yrd zero. So Dennymac thanks for the offer if you want drop me a pm I would be more than happy to come out and shoot a day with you and pick your brain on how this how competition thing works. Or any one else for that fact Im always willing to shoot and learn.
    Using 55 FMJBT bullets to get consistent tight groups is a frustrating and fruitless endeavor. If you want to progress in the sport, 100% use of match ammo takes the ammo out of the equation when learning how to shoot small groups from position. Your match rifle deserves good ammo.
    Red Fire 372

Plinker
    Makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by jhart View Post
    Thanks where are you getting them from, I usally use midway or cheaper than dirt. Sometime plainfield shooting supply.
    usually Midsouth shooters supply but I also but from Monmouth reloading, bullets.com, and a couple other sources all online.

I also had better luck with the Sierra 69grn Match King pills out of my rifle. I loaded them with Win 748.
    I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on.

Leo
    Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by sloughfoot View Post
    Using 55 FMJBT bullets to get consistent tight groups is a frustrating and fruitless endeavor. If you want to progress in the sport, 100% use of match ammo takes the ammo out of the equation when learning how to shoot small groups from position. Your match rifle deserves good ammo.
    +1

The bullet selection needs to match the job requirement. You will never learn to shoot well if each shot you have to wonder if it was your mistake or ammo weakness.

I have make record scores with 52 grain MatchKings at 100 yard reduced courses, but never got good scores with 55 gr FMJ. They are combat bullets designed for other purposes. Even the 52 gr Sierras that have made several 200 clean/high X score at the 600 reduced target on a 100 yard range start to fail by 200 yards, by 300 you are just making noise, not a score.

Unlike some above, I did have some great results with the Hornady 68, it equaled the performance of the 69 Sierra, which is outstanding. A variable may be the barrel. If I bought a new barrel blank, had it machined and chambered, ad it didn't shoot to my liking, I would unscrew it and buy another. A top barrel and a top bullet together is a beautiful thing. When I was seriously competing, I never had a marginal barrel at a match.

To simplify life, I started using just one ammo, the 77 gr Sierra in sitting on a compressed load of Varget. 200 yard, 300 yard, 600 yard, same bullet, same load. I even ordered bullets a couple thousand at a time with to get the same production lot. I never felt like I lost a point due to that bullet.

I have not been to the Highpower matches at Camp Atterberry for years, but it was always a good group, lots of great memories. If you carried yourself decently, you got treated very well.

Good Luck and have fun.
    Last edited by Leo; 02-09-2017 at 22:40.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Hop
    So what size groups does it take to be middle of the pack or near the top?

Me too Leo. How about we wobble down there for an old timers match this year?��

Lynn Richter has been state champ like 7 or 8 times. He is well into his 70's and he uses 69 Sierras under Win 748 for 200. He has used this for as long as I have known him.

During that period when Sierra bullets was having consistency problems, the Hornady 68 filled in very well. It is certainly capable of clean scores. It is a very good bullet, even though the design is slightly different from the Sierra.
    Red Fire 372

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    So what size groups does it take to be middle of the pack or near the top?
    Middle... High 90's

top.... clean with high X-count

But you will only be shooting against others in your class. Sharpshooter, Expert, Master, High Master. And winning or placing high in your class is immensely satisfying. And that money spends as easily as match winner money.
    Last edited by sloughfoot; 02-09-2017 at 22:45.
    Red Fire 372

Plinker
    Am I correct since I have no scores my first few I have to shoot in master?

Leo
    Grandmaster
    yes, unclassified master.

Don't worry about your finish at the first few matches. Concentrate on Safety, following commands, doing things right, Safety, your responsibilities for other shooters, your technique, Safety. Getting all the shots on target in the time periods allowed is a high enough goal for the first match. If they are in the scoring rings, that is great.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast