• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have read a ton of information on how to size rifle rounds. It gets pretty crazy if you let it.

But...

I see very little information out there on the best way to size pistol rounds.

The directions that come with my die say to screw the die down until it makes contact with the shell holder. That's it.

Are there any tricks that others use to optimize their pistol case sizing? Is there such a thing as too much or too little, or am I just overthinking this?

Thanks.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    You, are overthinking this .....

The only problem, I have encountered, is

a friend of mine, had a Dan Wesson, and

he was trying to reload his .357 cases,

he knew I reloaded, so he asked me ......

Anyway, his cases, just fell into the Lee

resizing die.

He had the little hand kit.

I just figured, that the cylinder bore,

was smaller than the sizing die .....

Anyway, if you are NOT shooting competion,

I would not worry about it .....

I load my revolvers light, and have gotten

20 reloads from a case.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    use a sizing die with carbide ring---no lube necessary, bell the case mouth just enough to take the bullet and pay attention to seating depth.

Steve

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    FortuneCookie has a video about trimming.....

[video=youtube;rRmkdKclw8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRmkdKclw8Q[/video]

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    The instructions are correct. Like said above, only bell the case mouth as little as needed. With a carbide die, lube isn't needed, but on my progressive press a little hornaday one shot on a bucket or bag of brass sure makes it run smoother than brass with no lube.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Most straight walled cases are pretty simple for basic shooting. Trim them all to length to standardize crimp if you're looking for really consistent ammo. Old bottle neck cases like 44-40 and 38-40 take some special attention.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Others have given great advice. One thing I would add, assuming you are using a carbide die, is to make sure the shell holder doesn't apply a load to the die when the ram is fully raised. I just raise the ram all the way, screw the die in until it touches the shell holder, and then back the die out just a little to make sure the two don't make contact with any force. The instructions for my RCBS dies indicate that the carbide insert can be cracked by loading it with the ram/shell holder.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks everyone for the great advice.

I got this notion from reading one of Glen Zediker's books where he says that the instructions to raise the ram and then lower the sizing die to just touch the shell holder are the worst directions you can follow. He as directing his comments 100% at rifle round sizing, I get that, and he goes on to explain why.

It just got me to wondering if this was also a true statement for pistol rounds even though there is a not a neck to push back or size.

There is so much information about making match rifle rounds, but very little (that I can find) on making match pistol rounds.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    it matters for rifle because you're affecting how much the shoulder gets pushed back (headspace). it doesn't matter one lick for straight walled pistol cases. (might for something like 357sig, I don't know, never screwed with those). don't over think it.

I have never trimmed a pistol case, not a single one of the ~125k I've loaded....

-rvb

Top Bottom