Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverAndrew ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)af3dc2d9a4838b54e&p=6969971#post6969971" rel="nofollow">View Post
    King31, I would be very interested to hear how you got into reloading for $100ish. Everything I've seen says it will cost way more than that, just for tooling.
    I started reloading 45 ACP for under $150 (The bullets, powder and primers were on sale in a package deal. I picked up my own cases at the range.)

Last edited by sbu sailor; 02-11-2017 at 12:26.

Take Broom_jm up on his offer. You reload your own with supervision, learn a few things, and avoid the ATF. Of course you also assume the liability in the event of a catastrophic failure (which is unlikely) instead of your friendly helper carrying that load.
    The colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Yes, I've Pm'd him and will follow up as I get an opportunity. And thanks for the LEE tips everyone, I'm already looking into a small setup such as those of you have mentioned

You won't regret getting into reloading, especially with an experienced reloader like Broom to guide you through the basics, which will give you a major advantage over how many of us started, myself included.

As with just about anything, you can spend a little or you can spend a lot. Personally, I think the Lee Classic Turret is ideal for loading a lot of pistol ammo, with the occasional short-action rifle. If you're going to be reloading precision rifle ammo, which is what the OP seems to be interested in, there's really nothing else for it but to buy a good O-frame press, like the RCBS RockChucker Supreme. While you can technically get into reloading for $100 or $150, I would personally set a budget of about $400 for the bare necessities of real, bench-mounted equipment.

Also, the old axiom about reloading is that you never save a dime...you just shoot better ammo, and more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpink ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)af3dc2d9a4838b54e&p=6969746#post6969746" rel="nofollow">View Post
    The wording of that is pretty vague, and it's doubtful that basically paying someone for expending his time, effort, and using his own equipment to make up some ammo for another guy won't be a big deal.
    Naturally, the ATF would likely get interested if someone did this routinely and on more of a mass production scale, especially with multiple customers, as it were.
    It's a fine line, but a paltry 250 rounds just doesn't sound like an ammo manufacturing facility.
    Oh it's highly unlikely that the ATF would ever notice, but I'd hate to be the guy they picked to make an example of.
    Much better that the OP take up Broom_JM on his very kind offer
    Everybody is coloring inside the lines....and I suspect he'll have a lot more fun than if he just bought the ammo.

Got an appointment with Broom_jm for the near future, and a plan for going ahead from there. Thanks for the input and help everyone!
    Andrew

If you are looked no to get into reloading I have a Lee powder scale and Lyman reloading manual I'll gladly donate for the cost of shipping.

Thanks! I sent you a PM. I appreciate it!

Andrew

Smile " it really doesn't matter if you are using lee or Dillon. "

Quote Originally Posted by King31 ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)af3dc2d9a4838b54e&p=6970072#post6970072" rel="nofollow">View Post
    Im not saying that's how much it cost me, but I believe with Lee equipment you can come close. The dies, press, trimmer, and scale can be had for right at $100 on Midway right now. With already having the components it wouldn't take much more than a few manuals and YouTube videos to start loading your own. You'll probably need a drill as well, but hopefully you already have that. The funny thing about reloading is that you can make it as expensive as you want it to be. In the end if you are making quality ammo, it really doesn't matter if you are using lee or Dillon.
    Thanks King31==Now I have had my good laugh for the day....

YES it DOES matter if you are using "lee or Dillon"...Now Flame on..HA HA..Bill.

"It's more important to have a gun in your hand than a cop on the phone".

NRA Life Member since 1976+Outdoor Sportsman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast