• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Just for the fun of it, I bought a box of 44 rounds of 8mm mauser ammo, at last weekend's Friendship gun show.

I thought I would share photos with the cartridge collectors that read this forum.

I tried three rounds in a K98k, and one had a bad primer. The other two had a much louder report than I expected for this stuff.

I pulled the bad round apart, since I wanted to see what the bullet and charge were like. The bullet appears in the first photo. The powder was a substantial load of a flake powder, probably weighed around 20 grains.

The headstamp looks Arabic, and I'm thinking maybe Syrian or Persian.

4vsZgJU.jpg

H73moN8.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Neat!

And I wish those monsters would get their weaknesses organized...wood, silver, holy water, it makes ammunition management difficult.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Interesting. What was the purpose of these? Cheap target/training ammo maybe? How much does the projectile weigh?

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Wow that's unique. What was the accuracy like?

I only fired into a stump. I doubt that there is any accuracy in these.

Interesting. What was the purpose of these? Cheap target/training ammo maybe? How much does the projectile weigh?

I weighed the wood bullet. It is 9.5 grains.

I'm not certain of the purpose of these 8mm rounds, but practice seems most likely.

I know the Swedes used wooden bullets in their 6.5x55mm practice ammo, with a screw-on "blank adapter" that would shred the wood when fired, the effect simulating the full recoil of the regular ammo, for training.

These 8mm, as I said, seemed as loud as standard ammo loads.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Wooden bullets were used in some nations as blanks for machine guns. The "BFA" would usually have a constrictor of sorts that basically turned the bullet into dust. I think the Germans may have done this at some point.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    An old friend was a 3rd Marine in WW2 and told me the Japanese used wooden bullets near the end of the war when materials got scarce.
    He'd been hit with one and occasionally a splinter would come through his skin. I was with him one day when he grabbed his elbow and pulled a splinter out. He had a trace of blood on his shirt.
    He was a good man and my friend, retired IPD. I'm sure many here knew him.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Yes, that is Arabic.

While Farsi is written in more than several alphabets, including Arabic, the ammunition you have is Egyptian.

You can find Iranian ammo in the US in a couple of different alphabets including Avestan and Cuneiform.

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I only fired into a stump. I doubt that there is any accuracy in these.

I weighed the wood bullet. It is 9.5 grains.

I'm not certain of the purpose of these 8mm rounds, but practice seems most likely.

I know the Swedes used wooden bullets in their 6.5x55mm practice ammo, with a screw-on "blank adapter" that would shred the wood when fired, the effect simulating the full recoil of the regular ammo, for training.

These 8mm, as I said, seemed as loud as standard ammo loads.

Those are so neat.. It is amazing how many countries had Wooden Projectiles in training

Germany

15_ZfG_muzzle_mag_rounds.jpg

Finland

f2ngroup.jpg

Japan

IMGP2160a.jpg

Russia

114563_ts.jpg

Netherlands

images

Sweden

5165434_01_6_5x55_200_rounds_milsurp_trai_640.jpg

United States

DSCN0847_zps5551c881.jpg

England

bullets.jpg

Israel

5375138_01_vampire_ammo_wooden_bullet_308_640.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Just for the fun of it, I bought a box of 44 rounds of 8mm mauser ammo, at last weekend's Friendship gun show.

I thought I would share photos with the cartridge collectors that read this forum.

I tried three rounds in a K98k, and one had a bad primer. The other two had a much louder report than I expected for this stuff.

I pulled the bad round apart, since I wanted to see what the bullet and charge were like. The bullet appears in the first photo. The powder was a substantial load of a flake powder, probably weighed around 20 grains.

4vsZgJU.jpg

I Meant to ask the OP did the inside if the wood bullet he pulled look more German (thinner Walls)

images

Or More Swedish (thicker walls)

5d43ecf34593c1a9a5a32a2887f3eb37.jpg

Top Bottom