Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by throttletony View Post
    I'm always VERY glad to see any developments in the firearms industry, and I hope the market will respond positively.
    Imagine these in a hot 10mm load, 327 or 357 mag, 41 mag, 357 sig, etc.

As a guy looking for some new 9mm dies... this has me wondering.
    (love the idea of policing brass with a magnet! and the color options... but I got into reloading to shoot more for less money, this kind of defeats that purpose)
    I thought that was one of the benefits of this new brass. Didn't they give a breakdown of the cost of this brass with conventional brass?

Quote Originally Posted by BE Mike View Post
    I thought that was one of the benefits of this new brass. Didn't they give a breakdown of the cost of this brass with conventional brass?
    Yes
    As it turns out, the new cases cost significantly less than the cheapest new unprimed conventional brass.
    Other benefits cited (assuming that the new new cases turn out to be all that they're cracked up to be): They weigh almost exactly half as much, you can have the case heads anodized to just about any color you can imagine for easy load identification, five to ten times the number of reloads, case trimming is no longer needed, you can generate higher velocities with lower pressure, they have slightly greater internal capacity, the magnet thing, and larger and beveled flash hole to get better and more consistent ignition.
    The liabilities cited are that they require the specialized dies that cost about twice as much as conventional dies, they require case lube, pulling the bullets compromises the cases and necessitates they be discarded.
    We already know that these new cases cost quite a bit less than regular brass, so if you really can get at least 40 reloads apiece with them, you'll be reloading for less than with regular brass, considerably less.
    It's also worth commenting that the specialized dies for these cases also work with regular brass, so anyone who doesn't already have the dies for regular brass who wants to try these new cases first will have no problem going back to the regular brass if he wants to expend it or if the new cases prove unsatisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by BE Mike View Post
    I should have been more clear...
    If I'm already sitting on a pile of recovered range brass, then it's more expensive
    "Stay classy, San Diego"

Quote Originally Posted by throttletony View Post
    I should have been more clear...
    If I'm already sitting on a pile of recovered range brass, then it's more expensive
    That's where I'm at, but this is really cool. If I ever burn through my 9mm stash of brass, I will really consider going this route. Picking up brass with a magnet sounds amazing.
    "Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Who you calling old and fat wait, that would be me. Sounds interesting. Hopefully one of you guys will try these and let us know what you think from real world experience. Rifle calibers would get my attention. I shoot rifle probably 25:1 over pistol. I would find this really handy rifle loads. And if you got more reloads that would be even more awesome!

Grandmaster
    I wonder how many times you can load this... It is certainly pretty cool, it would be more worth it to me for calibers that aren't easily found, I can go pick up 9mm for example any time at the range, and I don't have to worry about loosing it if I'm out shooting at home and don't feel like throwing a tarp down. If anyone jumps in on this, please report to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
    I wonder how many times you can load this... It is certainly pretty cool, it would be more worth it to me for calibers that aren't easily found, I can go pick up 9mm for example any time at the range, and I don't have to worry about loosing it if I'm out shooting at home and don't feel like throwing a tarp down. If anyone jumps in on this, please report to us!
    The article says up to 40 times. Amazing.

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911ly View Post
    The article says up to 40 times. Amazing.
    Is it really all that amazing for 9mm though? I tend to load relatively large quantities of 9mm so I haven't been through the reloading cycle enough times to wear out any of the brass but from what I understand pistol brass should last a long, long time itself. I know bottle necked rifle cases can easily last 6-8 reloadings and twice that with annealing and a low intensity, straight walled brass pistol case should last far longer. However being magnetic should make finding spent cases far easier and reduce the likelihood of losing cases before they are worn out.

rvb
    Lots of marketing hype, I don't buy much of it.

aluminum head? I've never tried reloading aluminum, how does it stand up to lots of cycles compared to brass? eg extractor/ejector damage.

Two pieces that won't pull apart, like absolutely never over thousands and thousands of samples? There's a lot of pulling pressure on a case mouth (powder funnels, bullet leaving, extraction, inertia under recoil in the mag, etc. feeding can put a lot of "bending" pressure on a cartridge, as the case head slides up under the extractor and the chamber tries to align the round. Not to mention as they get stepped on... on rocks...

higher velocities, with lower pressure? sounds like they might have a bridge for sale somewhere, too...

no trimming? who trims 9mm? who cares.

40 reloads? I've never even counted how many times I've loaded 9mm. 40 is not 5-10x the number of loads from 9mm bass, that's laughable.

You all get through a few million rounds and let me know how it's going. I'll go buy some 1x fired 9mm brass for ~$40/1000, assuming I can't find enough on the ground for free...

I'm all for innovation, but I'll need to see how it shakes out before I go risking my match performance or even my safety with such questionable tech.

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

Sharpshooter
    It is interesting from a design standpoint, but I wonder about the longevity of the aluminum case head as rvb mentions.

Seems like this was posted some time ago.... maybe just a false sense of deja vu since the article is dated more recently. For some reason I was thinking Kirk had posted it, but I'm getting old, and I think one of the first things to go is memory, but I can't remember.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast