Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I have reloaded 9mm brass MANY times before seeing any problems. Just inspect the stuff for cracks and pay attention to loose fitting primers and corrosion. Picking up brass will become a compulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by gond View Post
    Ok i am a new reloader. I have read my Lyman Manual, watched an infinite number of youtube videos and read as much as I could find about it on the web but have not found concrete info about reloading picked up range brass. I have heard people say they do it and others warn never to do it. I will be loading 9mm target loads. I will put my last recipe below and I want to go slightly hotter than that. What do you all think?

Primer: CCI 500 Small Pistol
    Powder: Wincester 231 (3.5 gr)
    Bullet: Hornaday 115gr JHP

also if this info is already out there and I missed it please point me in the right direction.
    Welcome to Indiana Gun Owners forum. There are a lot of guys here who can help you with some of the specifics of reloading, the first of which is you don't "shop" for charge weights on a forum.

You mention "target loads". Depending on what you mean by that, you may want to stick with one headstamp on your brass, to make it as consistent as possible, but that doesn't preclude using (well-inspected) range brass.

Go to the Hodgdon website, reloading section, 9mm Luger, 115gr bullets, Winchester 231 powder. You'll discover that 3.5 grains is below the recommended starting charge of 4.7 grains.

With some things in life, you either KNOW what you're doing, or you shouldn't be messing with it. Herpetologists, for example! Reloading is one of those things. If you have questions, that's fine, but when you start putting loads together, have at least two verified sources for your data (not a buddy or forum reply). Good luck and let us know how ya do.

Plinker
    Wow. Thank you for all of the replies. As for the starting grains being too low. I got that directly from my lyman manual. Maybe I read it wrong. ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)" title="Name: load_data.png Views: 33 Size: 157.0 KB">load_data.png

First thing I have to do is remount my press. I don't like how I did it the first time.

With some things in life, you either KNOW what you're doing, or you shouldn't be messing with it. Herpetologists, for example
    Interesting saying. I love my snakes!!

Check a couple of reloading manuals and start at the lowest starting load and work up.
    Range brass is just fine. If you buy once-fired brass, you are buying range brass.
    For 9x19 accuracy, unless you have a custom gun with custom barrel, you'll get a lot better accuracy from Power Pistol, Silhouette, True Blue, and other slower powders.
    It is VERY hard to have a squib load with ANY powder in the case that ignites, but a very low charge weight, if accurate in 9x19, will most likely require a lower weight recoil spring.

Marksman
    Range brass is fine, as others stated. Start with the minimum correct powder charge (5-10 rounds) and see if it cycles the weapon correctly. I find, with powders that I have tried, that just under stated max is where I end up.

Plinker
    Picked up 1000 9mm range brass from a fellow INGOer last fall... Been using 1 cup at a time to tweak my wash recipe/process. The only thing is I stumbled upon some with 2 smaller flash holes. Will have to sort them out.

We use 231 and Autocomp but mostly 231. Trophyhunter and others are correct, 3.5gr is very light and may cause unwanted/unexpected operation.

YMMV.

Good group of guys here for help. All you have to do is ask.

Welcome to

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitsandGravy View Post
    ........ The only thing is I stumbled upon some with 2 smaller flash holes. Will have to sort them out.

You have to watch out for the Berdan primered cases or you will break your decapping pin.

I've noticed TZ and TZZ having small flash holes. they like to stick to the de-priming pin
    OP, does one buy $500 cigarettes in the same place you bought your $500 tampon?

Plinker
    If you notice the OAL as tested in your Lyman load data, it is 1.090, with that OAL the 3.5g charge should be safe to shoot, although quite light. I have shot thousands and thousands of those bullets both the XTP and HAP. For target purposes the XTP and the HAP are the same, but the HAP are less expensive. My preferred load is 4.7g of W231/HP38 at an OAL of 1.090 to 1.095.
    The only problem with range brass is when you are pushing maximum velocities and pressures and you come across a case the is not up to it. That is not likely, but it is possible. So don’t push the limits with range brass. For target shooting there is no reason to.

Range brass is fine.

As for your charge......you're right. The Lyman manual says 3.5 to start for a 115gr JHP
    Broom_JM is also right....the Hodgdon web site says 4.7 gr to start.
    So what's up?
    The bullets are different.
    Lyman doesn't specify what flavor of bullets it's testing, and the Hodgdon web site is showing a Speer Gold Dot.
    Just because two bullets are the same weight, doesn't mean they use the same charge.
    According to my Speer book, some Gold Dots have a different charge. Don't have it handy, and don't recall if 9mm is one of 'em.
    Hornady #8 says 4.1 - 4.7 gr of W231 for the XTP, or the RN-FMJ

Truth of the matter is that manuals rarely agree, even when they list the exact same bullet.
    Something that has caused reloaders much wailing and gnashing of teeth for ages
    So what Broom_JM said was good advice.....have more than one source.
    And of course.....start low, and work up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast