• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I did a quick search and did not find anything like this. Offer links if you know.
    So.. it seems like a good idea to use one of Lee's shields on the Lee Loadmaster regardless of primer brand. My question/idea is why not use a bag-like device over the primer tray to catch and contain debris in the event of detonation? This would be in addition to the shield. I am thinking of something along the lines of a kevlar bag or an "explosion proof" li-po charging bag that the R/C people use.
    Thoughts? Your own system already in place?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Thank you, but not as much as losing my sight if shrapnel gets past the shield. Do you have examples?

You should be wearing safety glasses when reloading to begin with.
    And I will add if the priming system on your Lee press makes you uncomfortable you should look into a higher end press like a Dillon that comes with a double wall primer storage tube.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    At first glance, Kevlar bags seem quite spendy.
    BulletBlocker | Bulletproof Armor Travel Bags and More
    Of course bulk rolls of Kevlar cloth are much cheaper if your sewing skills are up to snuff.

Nothing wrong with trying to be safe.....but perhaps a simpler idea would be to just wear your safety glasses?

You should be wearing safety glasses when reloading to begin with.
    And I will add if the priming system on your Lee press makes you uncomfortable you should look into a higher end press like a Dillon that comes with a double wall primer storage tube.
    Already covered on the safety glasses ( check member name for clue to occupation ). Come on guys, I'm just looking at/for a form of additional protection as well as put an idea out there.
    mac45, The kevlar cloth idea I had thought about and I may still have some lying around here from vacuum bagging model airplane stuff. The li-po bags that I can find are only reinforced with fiberglass but may suffice as I am not looking to eliminate the Lee shield.
    Clay Pigeon, thanks for the Dillon info! I did not know about their storage tube system and will check that out today.

gds

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Lawrencburg
    I understand your wanting to be safe .With that said. I've been reloading on a Lee Loadmaster press for over twenty years , all calibers, and have reloaded hundreds of thousand of rounds without one explosion . Win, cci and fed primers . Maybe I'm just lucky .

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've been loading since about '95. I've set off one primer in that time and it was with a hand priming tool. Totally my fault, primer didn't feel right and I went ahead and squeezed anyway.

I understand wanting to be safe, but no need to reinvent the wheel.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I've been loading since about '95. I've set off one primer in that time and it was with a hand priming tool. Totally my fault, primer didn't feel right and I went ahead and squeezed anyway.

I understand wanting to be safe, but no need to reinvent the wheel.
    Yes, just leery I guess. I'm moving from a Lee turret press that I am very comfortable with to the Loadmaster and really don't want to screw up. Second to all of that was the thought that if the mishap ever did happen maybe some kind of bag would contain things somewhat instead of being all over the place. I appreciate ALL of the input. I keep finding many good ideas and tips here.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Of course debris will miss the shield, most of it will actually. you just need to deflect it away from your face, which the shield + eyewear does.

The problem with using a "bag" is the expansion rate of the primer detonation. Either you make a balloon if it's even remotely closed (pop) or a simple rocket if it isn't. Even if you could get the materials cheap, you can't get the R&D and insurance sign off to drop the price below that of the press.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Think the OP is just trying to avoid getting pranged in case he ever has a sympathetic detonation.
    Not sure why he would need insurance to sign off on anything.

I confess, my first thought was that this was a case of much ado about nothing.
    But.....if that were the case, why does Lee feel a need for the shield?
    Do these things go boom on a regular basis?
    Or is this just a manufacturer covering there rear.....just in case?

Think the only case of sympathetic detonation I've ever heard of was years ago on a Dillon
    (No clue how they managed to actually do it)
    But being on a Dillon, the tube directed the blast up and away, and the only damage was a scorched ceiling, and ruined shorts.

In any event, this thread made me curious.......is there an issue with Lee's primer system?

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Think the OP is just trying to avoid getting pranged in case he ever has a sympathetic detonation.
    Not sure why he would need insurance to sign off on anything.

I confess, my first thought was that this was a case of much ado about nothing.
    But.....if that were the case, why does Lee feel a need for the shield?
    Do these things go boom on a regular basis?
    Or is this just a manufacturer covering there rear.....just in case?

In any event, this thread made me curious.......is there an issue with Lee's primer system?
    #1, correct. Just mainly thinking of containing the mess if it ever did happen. #2, probably just a manufacturer's "cover." #3 Seems like it is a non issue from what others are saying. I have started loading with the press now. I have worked up to having the shell plate completely full (1 round, one pull). There is a lot going on here and I am doing a LOT of checking as I go. Thanks everyone!

Top Bottom