• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So I bent the decapping pin on die #1 for .38.

I have replacement pins but the pin is not coming off the brass collar/retaining cap (if this is the term).

What is the trick to this? I found RCBS and other videos on you tube, but nothing on Dillon.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Use a small punch , nail or a new pin to tap it out with a hammer. Don't hurt your typing fingers.
    The pin has a button head on it. Make sure you are driving it the correct way.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Use a small punch , nail or a new pin to tap it out with a hammer. Don't hurt your typing fingers.
    The pin has a button head on it. Make sure you are driving it the correct way.

A valid concern when dealing with Freeman.

I really should hire myself out to gun companies to test their vaunted gear. Oh, your pistol is reliable? Well, let's just see about that now.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ok, back up and humming along. Loaded up 50 more before dinner break. I have now gone through 4lbs of powder (HP-38) loading up .38s this winter. That's 7K rounds and I am up a .50 can more than I had at the holidays and the boys and my bro burned through a BUNCH of ammo.

Thanks, Clay, for your advice.

For future reference, if anyone jacks up a decapping pin like I did so that the pin will not come out of the retaining collar, fire and 2 channel locks works magic.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Or switch to a Lee die... I've punched through berdan primed steel cases with my Lee decapper. Only one I've ever broken was due to a piece of gravel stuck in the case.

Lee's will work, but they don't have the ease that Dillon has with a one clip removal for die disassembly. It's a great feature when seating lead pistol bullets and you need to clean the seater without readjusting the die. :):

Top Bottom