• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    So, after many, many years of loading on a single-stage press (and not being able to keep up with the amount I shoot), I went for it this past weekend and switched from green to blue.

Now, I have a new problem -- I can load so much faster I'm running out of things to load. I guess this is a good problem to have.

33011821152_bae5e74ffa.jpg

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    550s are great machines, it'll serve you well for many years. I have ~150k on mine over the last, oh, 12 yrs.

Recommend a roller handle if you plan to load a lot, and the bullet tray and bracket for a brass bin to minimize hand motion.

I like your table and mount idea. But it looks quite far back. Do you get full handle travel there? How are you securing the back of the strong mount?

-rvb

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Congrats, I think the Dillon 550 is the single best value on earth for what you pay versus what it gives back. There's an inexpensive drop in LED lighting system for it made by inline fabrication called the skylight, you will clearly see the powder levels in the case after you drop and makes a quality check on any stage of the shell plate much easier to do it's literally a night and day difference no matter how well the surrounding room is lit.
    https://inlinefabrication.com/products/skylighttm-led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-550

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Go with the BLUE...Keep the GREEN....

You will love your Dillon 550 for higher production runs..

Keep the Green--It will also be VERY useful for a lot of other loads..

For me--RL550 on the left side of my bench and a RockChucker on the right...Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Congrats, I think the Dillon 550 is the single best value on earth for what you pay versus what it gives back. There's an inexpensive drop in LED lighting system for it made by inline fabrication called the skylight, you will clearly see the powder levels in the case after you drop and makes a quality check on any stage of the shell plate much easier to do it's literally a night and day difference no matter how well the surrounding room is lit.
    https://inlinefabrication.com/products/skylighttm-led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-550

+100 here--Works well on my 550!!..Bill.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Another happy 550 owner. If you break something, just look for my threads!:D I have a . . . . unique touch with machinery.

Oh, and Billybob said is spot on. Keep your RCBS press set up. I have a single stage Lee that I use just to size and deprime when we have reloading parties. I have it mounted on a bench that I built in the 8th grade on a island in the armory. Very utilitarian.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I think I have become convinced to buy one in the last day or so. Glad to hear and see so many people who are enjoying their's. Now I just need to figure out what I want to trade or sell so if anyone hears of a good deal let me know :) . Living this budget life is not so fun.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    My 550 works great and will last a lifetime. I've loaded thousands and thousands of rounds of Handgun and 223 practice ammo. But I just got a brand new Redding Big Boss II for when I load my military brass and other rifle brass and when I'm really concentrating on making match grade ammo for .223, .243 and 30-06. Big blue can't otherwise be beat!

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    550s are great machines, it'll serve you well for many years. I have ~150k on mine over the last, oh, 12 yrs.

Recommend a roller handle if you plan to load a lot, and the bullet tray and bracket for a brass bin to minimize hand motion.

I like your table and mount idea. But it looks quite far back. Do you get full handle travel there? How are you securing the back of the strong mount?

-rvb

At that mounting point, I am getting full travel (just barely) -- The back of the mount is secured with a clamp that screws in to the rear section of track.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    For rvb (and anyone else that's curious)

Here's a better picture of the entire bench. The rear portion has an additional channel I use for clamping the rear of the strongmount. Rockler has some great accessories for the channel -- just know up-front, they're very proud of them.

33176357615_39655c09b4.jpg

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    At that mounting point, I am getting full travel (just barely) -- The back of the mount is secured with a clamp that screws in to the rear section of track.

Here's a better picture of the entire bench. The rear portion has an additional channel I use for clamping the rear of the strongmount. Rockler has some great accessories for the channel -- just know up-front, they're very proud of them.

very cool, thanks for sharing! :)

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

very cool, thanks for sharing! :) Great idea!
    I see now the back channel was just hidden in the first picture.

-rvb

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Congrats on the upgrade.
    Dillon is one company whose customer service and quality are the stuff of legend.
    Keep your RCBS, though.
    It'll still come in handy for precision loading bottleneck rifle cartridges and for depriming in batches.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield

That's a pretty cool idea. I did something similar but used threaded inserts sunk in to my workbench top and ratcheting lever knobs. Now that I've seen your setup, T-track might have made for a more versatile setup.

JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    I bought a 550 in December, set it up and started cranking out quality ammunition instantly. The LED light form Inline Fabrication is a must in my opinion.

Top Bottom