• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2017
    Sheridan
    Hi again. I am still a new reloader and while my 9mm ammo seems to shoot and cycle fine I am putting a ton of smoke downrange and my gun is filthy. I don't have the recipe on hand right now (still at work) but I can post it later if that is relevant. Any advised would be super helpful!

I think the recipe is this but I can't be sure until I get home.
    4.7 gr 231
    122gr Cast Powder Coated bullet
    Mixed Brass
    CCI 500 Small Pistol

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I think it may be the powder coating burning off. I started off using lubed lead and it was the worst! Smoked like all hell and the gun took me hours to get clean. What ever I saved on projectiles I spent in cleaning supplies and time.

All I shoot now is plated over Titegroup

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The powder coating I use creates virtually no smoke at all. The gun and barrel are very clean after a range session. W231 is definitely not the factor with your problem. Makes me wonder exactly what powder coat is being used on those bullets.

gond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2017
    Sheridan
    The bullets are Vulcan Casting Company. I picked them up at the local shop. IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0529.jpg I don't really know much more than that.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    fwiw I run plated with hp-38 (new to reloading as well, so this is the powder I started with), and I get no smoke.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Ok now were getting somewhere. Those are Hi-Tek coated bullets which are completely different than powder coat. I have no personal experience with the Hi-Tek coating but have read that they do infact smoke. I'll guarantee that powder coated do not smoke. Do some googlefu on those Hi-Tek's and you should find your answer.

PC_blue%20Custom_zpsiotivotu.jpg

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I did a little research for you on those Hi-Tek's and here's what I found out. If the bullet has a thin coating and the cure time was done correctly they do not smoke at all. If the coating is too heavy OR the cure time was done incorrectly then they smoke a lot. The process is done with chemicals completely different from how powder coating is done.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    I've found that 231 and hp38 smokes and has alot of flash in my 9mm loads. I have alot of those powders, so they are range loads only for those reasons.

Falconpuch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    NW Laf
    I powder coat my own bullets using Harbor Freight Red, I shake them in a old Sour cream container, place them in a toaster oven at 400 degress for 20 mins. Works great and no smoke. I do this for 9mm,45 acp, 44 mag, 45 colt.

Lubed bullets will cause smoke due to powder burning the lube, Powercoating lubes the bullet and acts like a polymer shell.

View attachment 53528

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I use the Hi-Tek coated in 9mm, .45 ACP and 30 Carbine from Bayou Bullets and Missouri Bullets. Not a bit of smoke from either when using Tightgroup on the pistols or Win 296 for the carbine. The carbine crono's at 1850 fps and there no sign of fouling from the coating. A wet patch followed by a couple of dry ones and it's clean.

I guess my point is 1) the company didn't apply the coating correctly or 2) it isn't actually the Hi-Tek coating.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Anypowder or bullet combination will be dirty and smokey if the bullet crimp is light. Try increasing your crimp to get a better combustion before the bullet leaves the case

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I powder coat my own bullets using Harbor Freight Red, I shake them in a old Sour cream container, place them in a toaster oven at 400 degress for 20 mins. Works great and no smoke. I do this for 9mm,45 acp, 44 mag, 45 colt.

Lubed bullets will cause smoke due to powder burning the lube, Powercoating lubes the bullet and acts like a polymer shell.

View attachment 53528

Are you coating already lubed bullets?

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Are you coating already lubed bullets?

That's just a product of tumble coating vs spray when applying the powder coat. Spray coating the bullets comes out much smoother but no real difference in the final performance. Just depends how nice you want the final product. I'm a little finicky when it comes down to it so I apply using the spray method.

Top Bottom