• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I will start off by saying that I have an old Lyman manual trimmer. I've tried the power attached. I absolutely hate the thing. It's slow, a pain to use, and I'm constantly having to check and readjust it.

Therefore I was looking at electric alternatives.

I currently reload and need to trim brass for .308, .223 & 300 blackout. I'm not forming blackout brass just trimming to size.

I also am using a Dilllon 550 and and old Rockchucker.

I was mainly looking aDillon RT1500 setup or multiple Girard Triways.

I see that Dillon only makes the 300 Blackout trim die in carbide, which I don't need, so I'd probably get one of the after market steel dies. I also know I'll need a special tool head for my 550 or an extension for my Rock Chucker. My concern is that the case mouths will be undersized since there is no expander ball. Do you do something either before or after, like neck sizing to ensure the case mouth is the correct size?

While I realize a Trim-it 2 would be cheaper in the long run, I'd probably choose to get multiple tri-ways because once they are set up, I should never have to adjust them again. I do have a small drill press I could use for a power source.

Is getting the Dillon worth the extra money if I only have a 550? I do see much of a reason to get the regular giraud trimmers over a couple tri-ways.

thoughts?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I use a WFT (world's finest trimmer)

Then I hit them on a case prep center to chamfer and clean primer pockets

I do them in batches. It goes fast.

I found an old Craftsman drill press stand at a garage sale that I chuck up the WFT in. It can also flip to run horizontal. Works great.

Use that same setup with a forester holder and milling bit to cut down 223 into 300 Blk

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I recommend Giraud. but instead of buying the complete unit I would do like the link posted below and buy the cutters needed

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/430680-poor-mans-giraud-trimmer.html

This was a really easy solution, and works like a dream. I have since added a foot switch for ease of use and safety, and I love it. When you say your motorized Lyman solution was slow, I have to say the Giraud Tri-Way just zips through the cases, and chamfers and deburrs at the same time. The motor I used goes up to 3,450 RPM, and the Giraud motor goes to 3,000 RPM. Your drill press should be fine, even if it is sub-3,000.

Every case comes out looking perfect. I highly recommend Giraud, they are great products and great people to work with. I am not sure what you will need for the 300 Blackout, but you will need different heads for the .308 and the .223, and they are about $100 each.

Falconpuch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    NW Laf
    I like simple things that are all in one, The Frankford Arsenal case trimmer or Lee's Quick Trims that you can attach a drill on. Trim/Chamfer/debur. I have used many 308/300blk and 223 with no issues.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    This was a really easy solution, and works like a dream. I have since added a foot switch for ease of use and safety, and I love it. When you say your motorized Lyman solution was slow, I have to say the Giraud Tri-Way just zips through the cases, and chamfers and deburrs at the same time. The motor I used goes up to 3,450 RPM, and the Giraud motor goes to 3,000 RPM. Your drill press should be fine, even if it is sub-3,000.

Every case comes out looking perfect. I highly recommend Giraud, they are great products and great people to work with. I am not sure what you will need for the 300 Blackout, but you will need different heads for the .308 and the .223, and they are about $100 each.

going the Tri-way route, all I should need for already fired 300 Blackout is another cutter unit. As mentioned previously I'm not trying to convert 223 brass.

The drill press I have has variable speeds between 600-3000 RPM. I'm sure it would work fine. I also have a variable speed bench grinder, but I won't want to cut the threads off it.

Top Bottom