• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Been reloading for 25+ years. However, I have only been loading a rimless caliber for a revolver for a few years and I am having a regular issue.
    Caliber is .45 ACP and the revolver is a Ruger New Vaquero.
    So, I set down and load several hundred rounds. And when I do a plunk test on the cylinder, I'll have several rounds that won't fully drop into the cylinder. The chambers all measure the same, in diameter and depth.
    When I check the rounds the neck diameter checks at a .001" below spec. The base diameter checks at .001"-.002" below spec. The case lengths are well below max spec and the OAL is well within spec.
    So what am I missing?
    I have even checked the case diameter where the base of the bullet sets, to make sure it is not fat in the middle.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    One cylinder or all? Since the 45 ACP registers headspace on the case rim check case length, and look for any burrs or blemishs in the cylinder closer to the end of the chamber. Can you take a suspect round and run it in all cylinders and will it fail in all or some. If you have a 1911, you could cross check the offending rounds in the barrel, or one of the lyman case gauges. If you have a carbon steel sizing die, it may be worn out.

Bob

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    The .45 ACP headspaces off of the case mouth, not the rim. A suspect round fails in all six cylinders.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    The chambers all measure the same, in diameter and depth. Do the chambers meet min or max specs for the caliber?
    When I check the rounds the neck diameter checks at a .001" below spec. The base diameter checks at .001"-.002" below spec. The case lengths are well below max spec and the OAL is well within spec. How do the specs on the bad ones compare to the ones that do fit?
    So what am I missing? Are you using mixed brass, could be different case thickness affecting resize or spring back.
    I have even checked the case diameter where the base of the bullet sets, to make sure it is not fat in the middle.

I am still thinking on it to see if I can come up with any other considerations.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Try a little more crimp

That what I was thinking also. The crimp is established by the die. I had a similar problem with a Sig 1911. Bought a case gage and then slowly lowered crimp until a high percentage passed and the ones that don't get scrapped.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Are the bad ones "AMERC" brass? I ran into that because the side walls of that brass are too thick right where the bullet base sits when properly seated. It makes it a little too wide in the middle, especially with cast bullets

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I had thought it might be a case issue, since they are all range pickups, but some that would chamber were the same brand as some that would not and vice versa.
    The bad ones are not AMERC brass, Leo. Actually, I thought all the AMERC brass that I have found has been Berman primed. ???
    I took 12 bad ones to the press and ended up adjusting the crimp die a little better than a full turn before they would all chamber easily. A couple still required a gentle push with the fingertip.
    I am loading my as cast bullets. Could be a slight difference in bullet diameters as the alloy composition changes ever so slightly?
    I may run a large batch of bullets through my sizer die and see how they chamber after loading.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Since cranking the crimp die down improved them maybe the "as cast" vary in size. Mic them and see where they are running, or run them through a sizer to get uniform diameter. I think you are onto the problem.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lee factory crimp die should fix the problem or the Redding Profile crimp die. I've used both for chambering problems like you are experiencing in a lot of cartridges. Check your bullet profile if that doesn't work.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I am running the Dillon carbide pistol dies with a taper crimp die. Never had any issues with chambering with them in .45 or 9mm.
    Going to take a closer look at the bullets, first.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Did the same thing by re-running them back through the crimp die it helped many of the cases. By increasing the crimp it also helped out the accuracy significantly. I was loading cast bullets also didn't think it was the cast bullets themselves but thought the case length was shorter therefore not crimping. The bullet being cast and the variations in hardness or diameter could very well be the problem.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Take your "bad" rounds and ink them up with a black sharpie marker. Tap them into a chamber, pop them back out, rotate a little, tap it back into the chamber, back out, tap in some more, and after you've rotated it a few times, see if you have a "witness line" around the body of the case somewhere. It might help you zero in on whether it's something you can control easily.

Also, since .45 ACP is supposed to be .451 / .452, make sure your bullet supplier didn't put some of them through his .45 Colt sizing die (.454) by mistake.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Any chance the offending rounds have the "Gock" bulge.
    I had a similar issue with my 10mm reloads.
    Bought a Lee Bulge Buster and the problem rounds all drop in fine now.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I am running the Dillon carbide pistol dies with a taper crimp die. Never had any issues with chambering with them in .45 or 9mm.
    Going to take a closer look at the bullets, first.

Taper crimp is the way to go, run it down a 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more. Don't be afraid to crank it down.
    You could also set you taper crimp up with a factory loaded round.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am loading my as cast bullets. Could be a slight difference in bullet diameters as the alloy composition changes ever so slightly?
    I may run a large batch of bullets through my sizer die and see how they chamber after loading.

Finished diameter on cast bullets can get inconsistent. I'll bet if you measure them up you will find the problem. I had a proper lubriziser when I would cast a lot of bullets, but sold off most of that equipment. Lee does make a sizing die that is used on a regular press. They also sell an alox bullet lube. It works pretty good for low volume use.

Good Luck

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you're not doing it already, be sure to crimp in a separate operation after seating, and the Lee Factory Crimp die is particularly good for that application because it runs the length of the case through a carbide collet as it crimps, acting somewhat as a secondary resizing die and making chambering much easier.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    If you're not doing it already, be sure to crimp in a separate operation after seating, and the Lee Factory Crimp die is particularly good for that application because it runs the length of the case through a carbide collet as it crimps, acting somewhat as a secondary resizing die and making chambering much easier.

He is, he is using a taper crimp.
    They don't come with a seater stem. :):

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    As cast?
    Wager that's the problem.
    Size all my .45 ACP boolits to .451"

And yes, different alloys will shrink differently when they cool, but generally not enough to be an issue.

Top Bottom