• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I want to start loading for a rifle I don't have yet.
    No, I'm not getting that far ahead of myself. My new Henry will be here this month (so they tell me).

Anyway. it's a .327 Federal magnum with a 20" barrel 1-16" RH twist.

I have 115gr Meister cast bullets.
    My Lyman's 50th edition gives me so many choices...
    I would think using the least powder the better. Am I missing anything with that train of thought?

If you had your choice, which of these powders would you try first, and which would you try last, and why?
    All are equally available.
    Lyman's says,

Titegroup
    Start------ FPS ---------PSI
    4.3gr....... 1058 ...........35,000

Bullseye
    4.5gr......... 1169 ...........36,100

Unique
    4.6gr....... 1113 .............31,600

800X
    6.1........... 1181............. 32,900

Blue Dot
    6.8gr ........1154............. 32,500

Last edited:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I would be drawn to whatever powder could serve multiple roles on my reloading bench. In this case for me I would use Titegroup and Bullseye as they would work in several other calibers i load for. In regards to pressure, it's operating in the same realm of .357 magnum and I've seen several levers guns in .357 that have thousands of rounds through them with no signs of wear, so I don't think you'll be beating your rifle to death.
    Finally, in regards to the least amount of powder theory, in pistol caliber rounds even light loads give a generous amount of volume to cases resulting in a good load density. A good example of the load density article relating to pistols would be using .38spl target loads in a .357 mag round.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Read this and rethink your "least amount of powder" theory. Fractions of a cent don't matter. Accuracy does.

https://www.shootingsoftware.com/loadens.htm

Interesting.
    I think I understand the load density theory.
    I guess I really didn't state my question well.
    I get that you would rather fill the case, or close to it.

I just thought someone may have had better luck using one of these particular powders over another.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would be drawn to whatever powder could serve multiple roles on my reloading bench. In this case for me I would use Titegroup and Bullseye as they would work in several other calibers i load for. In regards to pressure, it's operating in the same realm of .357 magnum and I've seen several levers guns in .357 that have thousands of rounds through them with no signs of wear, so I don't think you'll be beating your rifle to death.
    Finally, in regards to the least amount of powder theory, in pistol caliber rounds even light loads give a generous amount of volume to cases resulting in a good load density. A good example of the load density article relating to pistols would be using .38spl target loads in a .357 mag round.

I have a pound, or more, of each of these powders now.
    I just don't know which one to try first.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Since you have a 20" tube I would go blue dot as it's the slowest burning powder. In addition it will yield the highest density load.
    If this were a 4" gun my answer would be different, but it's a rifle.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Do a test run of say 10 pcs of each powder to see which you like better / which is the most accurate ( for a starting load) then tweak that load .

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Load 5 rounds of each powder, keep them separated, then go shoot 'em and see which one YOU and your rifle like best. Take that powder up towards max load in small increments and see if your results change to the good or bad. Maybe check out your second preference the same way. This is how I have developed my favorite loads over the years. Sometimes the first test is the best and sometimes its the tenth one!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Since you have a 20" tube I would go blue dot as it's the slowest burning powder. In addition it will yield the highest density load.

Actually, I have more Blue Dot than most of the others mentioned.
    Might just try 10 rounds each. Since there are 5 powders, I can run them one after the other in the same setting.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Load 5 rounds of each powder, keep them separated, then go shoot 'em and see which one YOU and your rifle like best. Take that powder up towards max load in small increments and see if your results change to the good or bad. Maybe check out your second preference the same way. This is how I have developed my favorite loads over the years. Sometimes the first test is the best and sometimes its the tenth one!
    :+1:

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Since you have the powder......try 'em all and see what works best.
    I'd start w/ Unique. May not be the best powder for everything, but it usually does at least "decent".
    Never used Blue dot, but I follow the reasoning. Try it next.
    Bullseye/Titegroup....not my first choice for a magnum pistol out of a rifle, but worth trying.
    800X had bad luck with it 20 some years ago and have never used it since.

FWIW, have a .32 HRM, and have had the best luck w/ Unique, and Lil Gun.
    Took a quick look, but didn't see any data for that particular bullet w/ Lil Gun. But if you're not happy with your results after trying the powders you have, it might be worth an email to Hodgdon.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

This is an oft-repeated, but misguided bit of advice. The powder that gives the best velocity from a 4" pistol is the exact same powder that will give the best velocity from a 20" rifle.

It's also quite often the case that the powder that is most accurate from a pistol is most accurate from a rifle. The important thing to understand here is this: The cartridge and the chamber are going to be essentially identical, either way...the length of the barrel is really not that important.

Nobody has asked what your goals are for the rifle and load, but I will say that the only safe charge weight is one that cannot be doubled without running over the case mouth. That is yet another reason to go with a slower-burning powder that fills the available volume under the bullet, or nearly so. Presuming it's of a suitable burn rate, such a load will be safe from a double-charge while delivering good accuracy and velocity. W231 is another powder that would probably meet your needs.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    This is an oft-repeated, but misguided bit of advice. The powder that gives the best velocity from a 4" pistol is the exact same powder that will give the best velocity from a 20" rifle.

It's also quite often the case that the powder that is most accurate from a pistol is most accurate from a rifle. The important thing to understand here is this: The cartridge and the chamber are going to be essentially identical, either way...the length of the barrel is really not that important.

Nobody has asked what your goals are for the rifle and load, but I will say that the only safe charge weight is one that cannot be doubled without running over the case mouth. That is yet another reason to go with a slower-burning powder that fills the available volume under the bullet, or nearly so. Presuming it's of a suitable burn rate, such a load will be safe from a double-charge while delivering good accuracy and velocity. W231 is another powder that would probably meet your needs.

That's conflicting information Bob, with most loads you easily can double charge using 231 powder, exspecially with lighter loads.
    And it's not a slow burner.
    Manufacturers would not print loading data that's not safe. Small charges of fast burning powders have been safely used since smokeless was invented.

OP, with the powders you have I would start with Unique and then Titegroup.
    And if you have tons of Bluedot I would bump that to the head of the line.
    If it shoots dirty, I would try using a magnum primer and bump the load up and see if it cleans itself up.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Unique is always a great starting point. After that I would go with titegroup only because it is cheap, available, and I got a bunch. Never seen those other powders for sale. Even Unique I have not seen in several years.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Actually, I have more Blue Dot than most of the others mentioned.
    Might just try 10 rounds each. Since there are 5 powders, I can run them one after the other in the same setting.

This may go without saying but I would give the rifle some cool down time between batches. I have an 1894 that heats up fast and starts to open up the group after 10 rounds.:dunno:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd also try them all, it doesn't hurt and won't be a big inconvenience. The unique seems as if it'd be a good option if it shoots well. I personally always like titegroup a lot, but I always use it for pistols.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This may go without saying but I would give the rifle some cool down time between batches. I have an 1894 that heats up fast and starts to open up the group after 10 rounds.:dunno:

Thanks for the reminder.
    I've read that about more than just a handful of lever guns.
    Something to keep in mind.

Top Bottom