• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    Just looking for recommendations on Loads for the 17 Hornet, such as bullet weight, type of powder and the amount of powder ? Also any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Lots of load data online. One place to look is Sabier.com

Here's a cut and paste to save me a bunch of typing,

There’s a choice of bullets in 20, 25 and 30gn weights and 12 different bullet types from Berger, Hornady, Nosler and Remington. Polymer tipped or hollow-pointed, they’re all designed to expand readily against light resistance. All have a relatively low sectional density and ballistic coefficient, the equivalent of a .308 bullet that weighs 95 grains, which means they slow down real fast over the long haul.

The maximum average chamber pressures permissable for .22 Hornet brass is 47,000 psi, and the thin-walled cases will be ruined very quickly if pressure limits are exceeded. This figure also holds true for the wildcat .17 Ackley Hornet, but evidently the new .17 Hornet case is capable of withstanding a SAAMI maximum average pressure of 50,000 psi. If the handloader follows Hodgdon’s data and loads the case to an average 48,000 psi, case life should be extended. The cartridge headspaces off the rim, but Hornady tightened up the chamber at the shoulder to reduce cases lengthening.

Handloading the .17 Hornet was quite an experience. When working with such a small cartridge, all cautionary advice and warnings that apply to reloading in general apply double to the.17 Hornet. A grain or so added powder doesn’t mean much in an ‘06 capacity case, but in the .17 Hornet even one-quarter grain can make a big difference in the ballistical properties of the cartridge. When approaching maximum loads, 1/4-of-a-grain can suddenly send pressures through the roof. For that reason I strongly recommend weighing and not measuring all powder charges.

Like the .17 Ackley Hornet the .17 Hornet is sensitive to minute changes in powder charges and seating depths, so caution is indicated. I seated all bullets out as far as practical within the limits of the rifle’s magazine. According to the chamber dimensions of the Model 25, the maximum permissable brass length is 1.363 and the “trim-to length (reached after four or five firings) is 1.3500”. Hornady lists the Cartridge Overall Length as being 1.720-inch.

We load a few small calibers, be very careful when working up loads and ladder tests. Hoenet cases will blow out primer pockets quickly with higher pressure loads.
    I would recommend 20- 30 grain bullets, check Midsouth shooters supply
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/reloading/rifle-bullets/-point-172-dia
    and look at there varmagedon? Bullets, they are imported Noslers I believe. Very reasonably priced.
    Midway sells Dogtown bullets it's the same as midsouths.

For powder we tend to use 296, 4227, lil-gun and a few VV pistol powders.
    If you pick Lil-gun I suggest you really pay attention when working uploads because it really can get wild quickly with that powder. It's a great powder just be careful.
    Also Google Todd Kindler and his store and products over in Baltic Ohio.
    There used to be a great magazine called Small Caliber News but it's been defunct for a few years now.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Have you reloaded before?

With the thin hornet cases be sure to ream the inside of the necks when prepping brass, if you have a VDL reamer use it. Otherwise when seating flat based bullets you easily can collapse the case when seating a bullet.

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    OK, thanks for your help. . . i do appreciate it. I have reloaded off and on for years, a lot of Rifle in the early days and some resent. I also do a reasonable amount of Pistol loads too. I have both a single stage press and a Progressive LEE. I have never loaded anything as small as the Hornet and assumed it was very sensitive to any thing I did. I will weigh each powder charge as suggested. I do Have a machinist background so I understand how to measure. I have not decided on the Powder or the Bullet, that's why I asked. Again I am grateful for the info you posted, thanks you once again.

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    Clay Pigeon: Couple other questions come to mind, it mentions a reamer. . . does this mean you ream the I.D. of the neck before you seat the bullet ?? The reamers I saw on Midway USA were Damn Pricey ?? Also Primers ! I have Winchester small Rifle Primers, would you use those ?

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    OH ! OK Its a Chamfer tool ! I understood it as a reamer, to were you were actually removing metal from the inside diameter of the neck the entire length of the neck ? Yes those tool are within my budget LOL

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    OH ! OK Its a Chamfer tool ! I understood it as a reamer, to were you were actually removing metal from the inside diameter of the neck the entire length of the neck ? Yes those tool are within my budget LOL

Bad wording on my part. Yes just a few turns to put a taper inside the neck of the brass.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Not knowing what rifle you're planning on using. Consider checking the twist rate of the barrel. I had a single shot New England that had a 1 in 12 inch twist. Not the normal 1 in 16 (IIRC). It would shoot patterns with the light bullets. Had pretty good luck with the Speer 52gr HPs flat base. Loads sure looked odd though.

Well, reading is fundamental. Sorry, saw Hornet. I need a nap.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Not knowing what rifle you're planning on using. Consider checking the twist rate of the barrel. I had a single shot New England that had a 1 in 12 inch twist. Not the normal 1 in 16 (IIRC). It would shoot patterns with the light bullets. Had pretty good luck with the Speer 52gr HPs flat base. Loads sure looked odd though.

We are talking about 17 Hornet. :dunno:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby

Well, reading is fundamental. Sorry, saw Hornet. I need a nap.

We are talking about 17 Hornet. :dunno:

I'd argue that barrel twist rate still matters :) Though there's probably not a wide range for the 17 hornet.

I'm jealous... that looks like a fun little round. That would be a great cartridge out to 200-250 yds for gophers. I guess there's nothing wrong with the .223 either, but a little less noise and recoil (minimal to begin with) would be good for some shooters.

Top Bottom