• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I take it that this is your first ever foray into reloading, right?
    You'll love it once you get the hang of it, and straightwall handgun cartridges are a great place to start.
    I load both rounds, the 10mm quite a lot, and they're a lot of fun to load for.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Welcome to the world of reloading! The 38/357 were the first cartridges I ever reloaded some 30 years ago. If it were not for reloading the 9mm would probably be the only centerfire round I could afford to shoot!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Setting up dies and getting crimp right then finding the right powder is the hardest part. Powder selection shouldn't be problem with those two cartridges. Heard Longshot is the stuff for 10mm and there's couple for 357 from mild to wild.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Longshot and Bluedot are both good performers in 10MM, you can get a little more out of 800X but it's not worth the bother as far as I'm concerned, it meters like wet oatmeal.

Starline is the best source for new 10mm brass and it's good stuff. Personally I won't use once fired brass, unless it's been my brass since new, you just don't know what the last guy put it through.

Welcome to the sickness, reloading is more fun than shooting to me. In other words I only shoot so that I can reload more.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Longshot and Bluedot are both good performers in 10MM, you can get a little more out of 800X but it's not worth the bother as far as I'm concerned, it meters like wet oatmeal.

Starline is the best source for new 10mm brass and it's good stuff. Personally I won't use once fired brass, unless it's been my brass since new, you just don't know what the last guy put it through.

Welcome to the sickness, reloading is more fun than shooting to me. In other words I only shoot so that I can reload more.

Seconded on the recommendation for Starline for 10mm.
    As a matter of fact, it's also the best to get for .45 Colt and probably just about all other handgun caliber use.
    Also, have to agree about 800-X, which is not worth the effort except for those who don't mind going to the great trouble of individually weighing each charge.
    Blue Dot is nice, albeit with lots of flash.
    I'll have to give Longshot a try, but I've yet to find anything that nearly measures up to No. 9, which gives me 700+ FPE with 155 grain and 165 grain bullets out of my 10mm.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Yes, Starline brass and Accurate #9 for 10mm. Can't double charge with it, and I like the way it smells. I also use Hodgdon Universal for plinking loads.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    congrats... and welcome to the cult! (feels like it sometimes)
    38 is very forgiving, and is a great place to start.
    I'm jealous of your 10mm, that will likely be my next semi auto pistol caliber to add. (with my 9mm, 38/357 I don't feel too lacking... but a 1911 and some flavor of 10mm will live under my roof in the next year or two)

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Am I thinking correctly #9 can be used also used for 357mag? Same way with bluedot if I'm not mistaken. Don't load with either of them powders but seen them for 357 mag loads. 357 is such a great versatile round.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Am I thinking correctly #9 can be used also used for 357mag? Same way with bluedot if I'm not mistaken. Don't load with either of them powders but seen them for 357 mag loads. 357 is such a great versatile round.

There are definitely load data for .357 Magnum with No. 9 if you'd like to see what it will do.
    2400, 4227, H110/296, Blue Dot, and a few other relatively slow handgun/shotgun powders will make that caliber really perform if done right.

jhart

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    greenwood
    welcome to the fun world, I started with .223. And will be getting in to handgun loads shortly Mak 9x18, and 9mm. Just collecting brass like you for now.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I just came back from Ludco with a pound each of two powders that I haven't loaded with before: HP-38 and Longshot
    I'm looking forward to seeing what these will do for me.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I just came back from Ludco with a pound each of two powders that I haven't loaded with before: HP-38 and Longshot
    I'm looking forward to seeing what these will do for me.

How was he on the powder? I was there a couple of months ago and picked up 1000 primers. My butt was hurting as I left.

Top Bottom