Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Plinker
    Thanks to all for responding!
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

I have seen the very same problem with cast bullets.
    They were made by someone else.
    In looking at the break it seemed to be crystallized.
    I think too much antimony, too hot a casting pot and dropping into water.
    This is all a guess of course without a detailed metallurgical study.

tomcat,
    Alloying elements can do some squirrelly stuff to lead allots.
    A stress line set up over long periods of time can propagate in various metals, it's just more unusual in lead alloys.
    If I had to take a shot at what caused the fracture you experienced it would be that the alloy temperature when it left the mold was inbtween the start and the finishing of solidification. The branching structures within a lead alloy casting can be in the process of forming and the casting can hold it's shape but still be weak because the constituent parts of the mix with a lower melting point are still liquid.
    Check out this lead alloy ingot that was dumped out of the pan before sufficient solidification had taken place. That's how you get a crack in something as malleable as a lead alloy.
    ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)" title="Name: mystery metal.jpg Views: 15 Size: 539.0 KB">mystery metal.jpg

Here's a hollow point .45 molded from the same batch of alloy.
    ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)" title="Name: 452484.jpg Views: 14 Size: 272.8 KB">452484.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NKBJ View Post
    Here's a hollow point .45 molded from the same batch of alloy.
    ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)" title="Name: 452484.jpg Views: 14 Size: 272.8 KB">452484.jpg
    Great post.
    You may well be onto something there.

Mine never did, but the cheap Crayola wax lube will get brittle--but, in the bullet is loaded, it isn't an issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2