• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield
    So I am just starting reloading and bought a open box lee breech lock kit that came with everything I need to load 9mm. In my research before purchasing I saw alot of recomendations to reload with unique in many pistol configurations so when the kit came with a brand new unopened bottle of unique I was excited. Now that I'm trying to reload with it, my two books don't show it for my current supplies. Is this common with powders or am I missing sone thing g. The books I have is lyman 49th edition and lee modern reloading 2nd edition. I do have a couple other books on the way but currently trying to decide how much powder and oal to load for berrys 124grn round nose and a couple different cast bullets. Thanks

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Speer # 10, YES, I know it is OLD, so am I .....

pg 351

125 gr soft point 5.5 - 5.9 gr. 1061 - 1192 fps .....

Start at the bottom, and work up, till you have no malfunctions .....

then load for accuracy .....I am is the Speedway area, if you want or need any help .....

Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield
    Yes berrys 124 grain plated I also have some samples to try of acme lead 125 grain round nose and bbi lead 125 grains from a friend who is also starting to reload. And that would be great ssgsad as I'm in plainfield area.

Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield
    I have looked at their website but when I enter in what I want to load they say different powders and never even list unique. Unless I'm navigating it wrong which is more than possible

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    From the Lyman 49th Edition...it lists a 125gr jacketed hollowpoint at a OAL of 1.075"
    For Unique powder:
    Suggested starting load-4.5 grains..velocity=997fps...pressure C.U.P.=23,100
    max load-5.0 grains...velocity=1078fps...pressure C.U.P.=30,700

The FAQ from the Berry's site has some good info regarding what loads/velocities their respective bullets can handle...https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq#FAQ5

Same info from another popular plated bullet manufacturer...https://www.xtremebullets.com/Bullet-Load-Info-s/1952.htm

Last edited:

Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield
    But isn't it being a round nose instead of a hallow point going to seat the bullet farther in raising the pressure quite a bit? Also aren't isn't a jacket on the round going to be stronger than a thin plating? I've seen a few recipes on other forums around 4.5

Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield
    Ok based on all the resources you guys have shown me and your recomendations I'm thinking an oal at 1.155 based on berrys table showing a max of 1.169 and a charge of 5.5 grains. Any other suggestions or great resources I did know where available?

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    New manuals like to concentrate on new powders so the manuals will sell. If they just republished their old data, how many folks would buy it?
    Go to Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide
    and see it they have data for you. Alliant only shows max loads, so they note on the first page:
    "Reduce rifle and handgun charge weights by 10% to establish a starting load"

PS: All jacketed lead-core bullets can use the same data. All lead and plated lead-core bullets can use the same data.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Ok based on all the resources you guys have shown me and your recomendations I'm thinking an oal at 1.155 based on berrys table showing a max of 1.169 and a charge of 5.5 grains. Any other suggestions or great resources I did know where available?

Coming in a little late, so just wondering how that worked out. I have the same book, and it looks like the max is 5.0 Unique. I use 4.5 gr Unique and 124 gr hard cast bullet. Works well in all my pistols.

Top Bottom