• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ok, my reloading experience is limited to 9mm. That's all I've played with. This past weekend I picked up components to reload .50 AE and 500 S&W magnum.

I've got Speer 325 grain projectiles, Winchester large pistol primers that are supposed to work with magnum loads, and H110 powder.

The great thing about this (to me) is I can use all of the same components (except brass) for both loads. Hodgdon has reloading data for both rounds with H110 on their website.

So, now that I've got all of this out there, is there anything I need to know that is different for reloading these two rounds than any other straight wall pistol cartridge?? anything I need to be extra careful of? OR any general advice you want to give me on these two.

thanks!!
    Clay

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I load the 50AE, regular large pistol primers work with AA9, all reliable. I found the slower velocities were more accurate in the Eagle, plus it saves you some powder.

Oh yeah, even if the dies says carbide, use lube, these are the first straight walled cases I've ever stuck.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I load the 50AE, regular large pistol primers work with AA9, all reliable. I found the slower velocities were more accurate in the Eagle, plus it saves you some powder.

Oh yeah, even if the dies says carbide, use lube, these are the first straight walled cases I've ever stuck.

ok good stuff! thank you! I like the idea of starting low anyway, and I will be sure to lube everything!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It goes without saying that crimp will be particularly important with both rounds.
    If you're shooting lead in the .500 S&W, be sure that your alloy is appropriate to the level of muzzle velocity you intend to produce.
    I believe that Magnum Research recommends against lead in their DE guns because of problems with lead getting into the gas system; at least that's how it used to be with their DE guns.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Hodgdon list the primers for 500 S&W as Large Rifle Magnum. That is the primers I have used for it so far.
    I have only used plated or jacketed bullets for the 500. I prefer not to use lead in high velocity rounds. Just my preference in bullets.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I've been loading AE for 13 years now and this is what I've learned. Large magnum pistol primers and H110 powder are all I've ever used. With 325 grain or 350 grain bullets if you load to maximum you better check The recoil spring, OFTEN! The springs weaken real quick with crazy max loads and let me tell you, when that frame starts smacking that frame you got problems. A good firm tapercrimp is a must, if not you will get feeding issues, to much crimp and you'll deform the bullet and have it spinning in the case. The light show is awesome on heavy loads but don't think that the gun doesn't have its limits.

500 load like normal with proper crimp for the load. A walk out is no fun on a gun that size

Top Bottom