• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    What do you guys think?

I'm getting into 45, xtreme has primed brass on sale @ $70/K, ready to load.

Probably use it on 230gr round nose FMJ, don't have a gun yet.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    What is Bobcat Armament's price? Always my go to...

I'm not sure. Xtrem's price is shipped no tax. BOBCAT is an hour drive each way.

From what I read most people prefer LPP brass for 45 because they don't want SPP brass mix up with what they have. I don't have any 45 brass now, so it doesn't matter to me.

I bought 25k SPP last year on the cheap from Cabelas @ $14/K, try to avoid adding LPP to my inventory.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have always been told no problem with SPP in .45. I have only loaded LPP since that is what most of the range pickup includes.

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    I'm not sure. Xtrem's price is shipped no tax. BOBCAT is an hour drive each way.

From what I read most people prefer LPP brass for 45 because they don't want SPP brass mix up with what they have. I don't have any 45 brass now, so it doesn't matter to me.

I bought 25k SPP last year on the cheap from Cabelas @ $14/K, try to avoid adding LPP to my inventory.

You say you bought 25k cheap primers, what brand. S&B primers are junk and that would be the only ones that cheap. I save a couple hundred spp 45 and load them , the change to lpp.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You say you bought 25k cheap primers, what brand. S&B primers are junk and that would be the only ones that cheap. I save a couple hundred spp 45 and load them , the change to lpp.

C you don't see any change in load data from SPP to LPP do you?

I have heard S&B and Wolf primers can be hard but have never tried either. I wouldn't expect any problems in pistols that haven't had the striker or hammer spring lightened, but like I said I have no experience.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I use S&B & Wolf primers, but prefer CCI. Wolf primers can be a $&%# to seat, but have went bang every time (a few thousand).
    S&B have required a few double strikes, roughly 1 in 200 (pure guesstimate). I wouldn't use either in SD rounds (which I don't load for SD anyway), or for competition rounds.

I have no issues with SPP vs LPP (load wise), use same powder weight, oal, etc. I do make sure to only take one or the other to range, never both.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    www.ingunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/398241-first-45-spp-problem.html

I have and continue to use small primer brass successfully as long as I stay away from the combination mentioned in my original thread.

As far as price, when I had Brass Rat internet sales, I started selling .45acp (large primer) used brass for $50/1000. I raised my prices as time went on. After Sandy Hook I sold that brass for $70/1000. I had a waiting list for .45 that I never was able to fulfill even though I shipped more than 80,000 pieces that year. $70/1000 already primed seems like a great deal

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013

I got the S&B primers in 2015,I've gone through about 2800 rounds of 9mms in 115, 124 and 147gr, I had 1 dead primer, so far.

As for Wolf SRP, I got 15K back when ProFire was still in business. They are almost gone, I don't think I had more than 4 dead primers.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I have another source in NWI for processed LPP 45 brass @ $45/K. I can pick few K's, I'm waiting for Copper Custom to call me when they receives my silencer paper work, could be any day.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    SPP in .45 seems dirty to me, just unnatural.

And you immediately know when one slips in with your regular .45 brass when your Square Deal B goes thud

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    www.ingunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/398241-first-45-spp-problem.html

I have and continue to use small primer brass successfully as long as I stay away from the combination mentioned in my original thread.

As far as price, when I had Brass Rat internet sales, I started selling .45acp (large primer) used brass for $50/1000. I raised my prices as time went on. After Sandy Hook I sold that brass for $70/1000. I had a waiting list for .45 that I never was able to fulfill even though I shipped more than 80,000 pieces that year. $70/1000 already primed seems like a great deal

I really need to sort and inventory my .45 ACP brass. I can't even guess how many thousand I may have on hand. Part of the reason why I'll likely not switch back to .45 is the SPP/LPP sorting. :xmad:

Wonder what current pricing is for cleaned range pick up brass and if SPP/LPP sorting is mandatory for selling?

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I run use both lp and sp in 45, no issues with either one, just the sorting kinda stinks! As to S&B primers i have not had any issues out of them that i haven't had out of other brands. I do use a lot of the S&B primers as i too got a lot of them on sale also!!!!!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    SPP in .45 seems dirty to me, just unnatural.

And you immediately know when one slips in with your regular .45 brass when your Square Deal B goes thud

I would have to agree it's blasphemy to stick a small primer in 45acp. When my Square Deal goes thud I pull the case and it goes in the garbage.

edicius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2017
    Evansville
    I would have to agree it's blasphemy to stick a small primer in 45acp. When my Square Deal goes thud I pull the case and it goes in the garbage.

So you've pulled the handle on brass with spp and it didn't go boom? I run the sdb also and that is my biggest fear. I check every piece of brass but I'm always a little concerned a small primer brass will slide through. I always assumed it would go bang.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So you've pulled the handle on brass with spp and it didn't go boom? I run the sdb also and that is my biggest fear. I check every piece of brass but I'm always a little concerned a small primer brass will slide through. I always assumed it would go bang.

Mine has never went bang. Very annoying though.

Top Bottom