• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Getting ready to order a 1874 sharps from Montana. I like the idea of the 45-110, but I know I will not like the recoil. I plan on using the rifle for a range gun and maybe shooting some BPCR matches. I currently load the black in pistol and shotgun. I know I can modify the load by either using fiber wads or filler (cream of wheat) to take up the air gap. Anybody currently do this or have experience with down loading to 45-70 levels? How was your accuracy?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    jamesb,
    My black powder loading is limited to arms that don't need reduced load fillers.
    So, on this question I'm gonna refer you to here:

Black Powder Cartridge

There are threads discussing case stretch. From what I've read in the past the friction of a column of filler makes it worse.
    By the way, I went caseless, shooting a .458 bore x 24" twist modified TC New Englander. It was a used .54 and now has a custom made liner added. I've found 90 grains of FFg behind a 450 grainer to be lots of fun. Best wishes on the 1874 Sharps. The rifles are uniquely beautiful and historic Americana.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had really good luck so far with 5744 in old BP cartridges, that said I don't load 45-110. I've got a Sharps in 45-70 and it does everything I ask although one of the longer cartridges would be fun to experiment with.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I want to get black loaded in the No.1 chambered for 9.3x74R. Paper patches. Big long soft lead bullets. Cross stick rest.
    Anybody need help with an infestation of miniature buffalo?

Top Bottom