• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Fantastic! I've got a Dillon 550b and I crank out great ammo for many different calibers. Once you get your loads dialed in for each weapon the pride of doing it yourself really ramps up. Congrats on the 650 and keep up the good work! Enjoy!!!

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    Just wait until you get some experience with it, and you will be able to load that 100 rounds in less than 10 min. Especially if you got the case feed.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks everyone. It was this community that got me going on reloading about a year ago, and then finally started cranking out the rounds last November, so about 6 months into the actual loading part (after a ton of research and silly questions).

The difference between the Dillon and the Lee Classic Turret press is stark, but I still think that is a great press to get started on, and I will keep it for load development and maybe some rifle rounds. My *biggest* problem with the LCT was that it could not keep up with my shooting volume, and now that I have tasted the blue kool aid, I get it, I TOTALLY get it!

The difference in the engineering and the quality between the XL650 and the LCT is just off the charts (sorry Lee, no offense).

@OHOIAN: Yes, I have the case feed as well, and I can see where you can really crank them out. I went slowly, took my time and double-checked my rounds for powder weight (about every 5th round or so) and to fine-tune the COAL, so it took me about 45 mins or slightly less. I was going very slowly however, and I can see pumping out 500 rounds an hour should be an easy goal.

I hope to crank out some more rounds this weekend depending on what Mrs. Helix has on her honey-do list.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    those rates will be easily obtainable... I beat those on my 550 w/o feeling rushed.

-rvb

That is going to be awesome, it takes me hours an hours to make 500 rounds in a weekend on my Lee Classic Turret press, and I am fried by the time I am done. I hate that I can out shoot my press.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have been loading 100 rounds at a time up until yesterday when I loaded 500 rounds all in one go. Very awesome, took me about 52 minutes, and that was stopping periodically and weighing powder drops and checking a few COALs here and there.

WOW!

I used to struggle to get 500 rounds in an entire weekend, and that would about kill me. These 500 rounds were a piece of cake, and I did not even feel the stress!

Now I need to really get busy and prep more brass, more quickly!

I am in heaven! :yesway:

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    I loaded 700 9mm rounds today, I wasn’t timing myself but it took less than 2 hours, and that was at a very leisurely pace.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I've been looking for my second 550 for a while, but I hate paying retail prices.

Oh well.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Blue Floyd made my day. Way cool. That song will be stuck in my head next time I load on the 650. :)

Top Bottom