• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I reload 9mm strictly for target practice. I used up about 1000 124 gr cast bullets and have had zero problems. I can get them for around $55 per 1000. Just wondering if there is any advantage in spending a little more money for plated bullets when I am having no problems from the cast...:dunno:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You can (I think) push them slightly faster than lead, although not quite as fast as actual jacketed.
    I suspect they would also do well in Marlin carbines with the Microgroove rifling where soft lead pushed very fast would fail to stabilize.
    They're also much less messy than conventionally lubed lead and less likely to get dinged up with moderately rough handling.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    They're cleaner to handle, and there's no lube to smoke w/ plated, which is sometimes a problem indoors.
    Other than that.....if you have a load that works, I'd stick with it

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lee 358-125 RF works for me in all my 9mm as well as 38 ACP. A six cavity mold piles the bullets up for not a lot of time or money, Alox lube and size, good to go.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    IMO, the biggest advantage is the plated/coated is cleaner throughout all the steps in the cycle of a bullet. i.e. seating/crimp dies don't get gummed up with wax, fingers aren't black with lead from handling the bullets, less smoke when shooting, and my guns seem to be cleaner after a range trip. At least for me, it is worth the extra $10/1000 for a coated bullet to avoid the mess. I figure if I can't afford an extra $20 or so per year, I probably can't afford to be shooting.
    --Rick

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Other choices...

Coatings and Alternatives

^^^I went this route several years ago, and have NOT shot a Lubed Cast bullet since..Clean shooting, NO Lead in Glock or any other barrels, and look neat..

Try a box of coated from Missouri Bullet Company, and go from there..Do not be afraid to load them to jacketed bullet data.Bill.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    What ever I saved on cast I spent in gun cleaning solvent and hours scrubbing that crap out of my loading dies and guns. NEVER AGAIN!

I can easily run 500-700 rounds down the pipe of plated and have no issues at all. Hardly clean my guns now. Wonderful!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    First you buy a cheap mold. Then you start scrounging for scrap lead. First thing you know you're mixing up homemade lube in the garage.
    Then your deer rifle has to shoot cast.
    And you realize that you are truly lost.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    First you buy a cheap mold. Then you start scrounging for scrap lead. First thing you know you're mixing up homemade lube in the garage.
    Then your deer rifle has to shoot cast.
    And you realize that you are truly lost.

:laugh: I have the lead melting pot, the scrap lead and a .50 cal round ball mold. Was thinking about .44 cal molds...but others have talked me out of getting lost that way so far. I will probably try it one day. :)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If it ain't broke...don't fix it. When shooting, I never considered getting my fingers dirty a problem. When I shoot guns, I have to clean them. I've loaded tens of thousands of swaged lead bullets on my Dillon presses and the little I have to clean them isn't a problem to me. I never got pristine accuracy from plated bullets. The reports of coated bullets gives me similar thoughts. Of course, the accuracy I needed when shooting bullseye pistol matches years ago is probably much greater than what you need.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Try Xtreme Plated bullets for 9mm. Particularly the 124 Grn Heavy Plate Concave Base bullets. You can usually get them on sale at their website often with free shipping that beats the quoted price from the original poster. Enjoy!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lee 358-125 RF works for me in all my 9mm as well as 38 ACP. A six cavity mold piles the bullets up for not a lot of time or money, Alox lube and size, good to go.

Coatings and Alternatives

^^^I went this route several years ago, and have NOT shot a Lubed Cast bullet since..Clean shooting, NO Lead in Glock or any other barrels, and look neat..

Try a box of coated from Missouri Bullet Company, and go from there..Do not be afraid to load them to jacketed bullet data.Bill.

It's still early, but I've been playing around with this stuff. So far barrels, dies and other equipment staying clean. Accuracy seems very good on the PCC. The Glocks seem to shoot them similar to plated. I have a lot more accuracy and reliability testing to do.

20170405_013435_zpstyod4xt8.jpg

I seen a guy named Leadeye casting at a cool reloading class put on by Indygunworks, years ago. Thought to myself, "I'll never do that." :rolleyes:
    Thanks again Leadeye! :ingo:
    Same to you billybob, I think some of your posts on powder coating might have pushed me over the edge. :ingo:

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    It's still early, but I've been playing around with this stuff. So far barrels, dies and other equipment staying clean. Accuracy seems very good on the PCC. The Glocks seem to shoot them similar to plated. I have a lot more accuracy and reliability testing to do.

I seen a guy named Leadeye casting at a cool reloading class put on by Indygunworks, years ago. Thought to myself, "I'll never do that." :rolleyes:
    Same to you billybob, I think some of your posts on powder coating might have pushed me over the edge. :ingo:

Looks GREAT bw..You are on your way...Bill.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Try Xtreme Plated bullets for 9mm. Particularly the 124 Grn Heavy Plate Concave Base bullets. You can usually get them on sale at their website often with free shipping that beats the quoted price from the original poster. Enjoy!

This is the way! I buy enough on cyber Monday to last me through the year. Hand loading is a time burglar as it is I don't need to spend any more time on it than I have to. Not to mention all the health hazards with kids around its a real issue.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

How often do they go on sale? $46 for 500 is a lot more than $55 for a 1000.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

The coating does not change the diameter?

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN

Someone is ready for Easter!

Top Bottom