• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2017
    NWI
    Never tried the 9 mm ones, but I did shoot a 4' copperhead with a 45 acp from about 6' away. The snake was very dead but there wasn't enough power to cycle the slide. So all you end up with is a single shot semi auto. Your best bet would be a 38 / 357 revolver. Load 2 or 3 snake shot loads followed by some more serious bullets. That way you can still get some follow up shots if need be.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you want a version of the shotshells that works much better than the originals that come loaded with #12 shot, get the newer ones that can be gotten with #4 shot.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    .45 ACP shot shells made from .308 rifle brass. Has 1/2 inch long cut down .410 shot shell wad and your choice of shot, I like #8. Much more effective than the Speer or other commercial rounds. These will cycle the gun.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    but I did shoot a 4' copperhead with a 45 acp from about 6' away. The snake was very dead but there wasn't enough power to cycle the slide. So all you end up with is a single shot semi auto. Your best bet would be a 38 / 357 revolver. Load 2 or 3 snake shot loads followed by some more serious bullets. That way you can still get some follow up shots if need be.

My 45 ACP cycles great with snake loads...:)

I have got them for .357 magnum but I think the 45 long colt or 45 ACP does a better job....Just a bigger pay load I guess...This is my designated "going to explore the canyon and rock shelters" copperhead pistol....

Our place is very "snakey"....Love the snakes...Just not the copperheads....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Um.....huh?

Apparently he can not buy a haircut nor a comb either......I for one do not feel comfortable shooting a 250 grain bullet into our glacial run off, full of rock dirt we have..I know I can hit a snake with a bullet...I am just not comfortable shooting one into the ground or rock we have....I don't want a "ricochet" turn into a "rickgotshottoday"...

I don't carry shot loads because I think I can buy my way into marksmanship....I use them because they are safe in a barn, an Indian rock shelter, or rock filled soil....

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It seems some people need to see this. smh.

[video=youtube;6zSRbXHkHqI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zSRbXHkHqI&t=0[/video]

This vid might be pertinent if this were about anything but the rather narrow purpose of snake and small pest shooting at very close range.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I saw "9mm birdshot" and my mind went to 9mm flobert. Are these mini shotshells about the same? Besides being centerfire, that is...

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I saw "9mm birdshot" and my mind went to 9mm flobert. Are these mini shotshells about the same? Besides being centerfire, that is...

The 9mm Luger is much more powerful than the 9mm Flobert...not sure on the amount of shot, but it's probably bigger in the Luger. I've got a few 9mm Flobert firearms and have played around a bit with them. The 9mm Flobert shotshells are only doing a little over 600 fps (!) and would not break a standard stationary clay pigeon! They are nifty little firearms and cartridges, but I can't figure out how the Europeans actually kill anything with them.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This vid might be pertinent if this were about anything but the rather narrow purpose of snake and small pest shooting at very close range.

At 10 feet, I have a couple of guns that I feel confident I could kill a rat or a snake with, without bird shot (as would most of us)....but I'm not so sure that's a good idea in many situations.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    At 10 feet, I have a couple of guns that I feel confident I could kill a rat or a snake with, without bird shot (as would most of us)....but I'm not so sure that's a good idea in many situations.

Exactly...rocks and other random hard objects, lead splatter, and plenty of other hazards.
    Shooting at a rat out beyond 25 yards or so would be fine, for anyone good enough with a handgun, but anyone shooting at a snake out at that distance isn't defending himself; he's being an indiscriminate asshat.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    CCI lists the 9 mm shot shell velocity at 1450 fps- the 40 cal at 1250, all other center fire cals at 1000 fps. Some years ago, my son and i killed 11 moccasins in a day in Arkansas- used 9s and 38/357 CCIs, as well as home rolled 44's w/ #9 shot. The 9s were the most effective, as a bonus, they cycled perfectly on my EAA Witness

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    Seems weird to me to shoot bird shot out of a rifled barrel. Has anyone tested this on paper to see what kind of spread you get at different distances?

Top Bottom