• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I wish the manufacturers would design a quick dump spout at the bottom of all powder measures. Easier to empty hopper at end of session preventing discoloring of plastic hopper.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    MY Systems are EASY....

I do not know what you load on, but for ME:

Dillon RL550=Pull die block pins, remove reservoir cap, remove die block assembly, and dump back into powder jar.

RCBS Uniflow= Remove reservoir cap, loosen both mount stand bolts, remove one bolt, slide away from bench, and dump back into powder jar.

For ME both of these systems is easy==The point is that I remove the MOUNTING of the measure and pour out..Bill.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Listen to billybob on this one.
    I've done it this way with my old RCBS Uniflow for over 25 years now, and it's a piece of cake.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Dillon RL550=Pull die block pins, remove reservoir cap, remove die block assembly, and dump back into powder jar.

I am not sure about the RL550, but on the XL650, I also have to remove the fail-safe return rod. Still not a big deal...

However, it would be even easier still if there was a drain.

I like the way Lee does it on their Auto-Drum system. You twist the plastic reservoir a short distance to the "off" position, and then you can remove the reservoir completely from the powder drop. Takes seconds.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The problem is geometry. On most measures, the ONLY place where all the powder can be removed is through the drop tube. Hastabe.

So if you put an emptying spout somewhere else, there's a really good chance that only SOME of the powder could be removed. That's dangerous.

Look at this:

Custom 90 Culver Measure

...and use it for ideas on how YOUR measure could be made to be easier to turn upside down, change bottles, etc.

If you're on a progressive, disregard.

-Nate

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I am not sure about the RL550, but on the XL650, I also have to remove the fail-safe return rod. Still not a big deal...

However, it would be even easier still if there was a drain.

I like the way Lee does it on their Auto-Drum system. You twist the plastic reservoir a short distance to the "off" position, and then you can remove the reservoir completely from the powder drop. Takes seconds.
    You are right on your Dillon. On MINE, it is old enough to only use the return springs-no fail safe rod to remove..

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    It would be nice. My Dillon Square Deal is starting to look like crap. I swore I was coming right back to finish a batch.........that was about three weeks ago and now the plastic is all dark looking.

O well its broke in now. Hit it with some flat black and carry on.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It would be nice. My Dillon Square Deal is starting to look like crap. I swore I was coming right back to finish a batch.........that was about three weeks ago and now the plastic is all dark looking.

O well its broke in now. Hit it with some flat black and carry on.

Dunno if this is the issue with you, but you shouldn't leave powder in the hopper longer than needed to load up whatever ammo you intend to put together at any given time, because the powder will discolor the plastic through chemical reaction.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I guess I don't understand why I, or most other re-/handloaders, should care about a discolored hopper?

-Nate

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Get the quick change kit for the RCBS uniflow. Cycle the press up and catch one measure. Swap out the metering assembly for the purge spout, cycle down with your container under the spout.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I guess I don't understand why I, or most other re-/handloaders, should care about a discolored hopper?

-Nate

I equate it to the same folks that think they need to clean their handgun every time they've went to the range. Some folks just value certain looks or perceived notions more than the time it takes them to do the certain task. Others realize it's an inconsequential matter and don't waste their time on it. To each their own. I doubt my hoppers have ever went a day without powder sitting in them.

Top Bottom