• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Is there any place that sells 1F or Cannon grade Black Powder in the Indy area? I want to buy a small amount to start with (a pound or two) and the hazmat shipping tends be real killer online and I don't know that I'm quite ready to stockpile 25lbs or 50lbs of it yet to get the bulk rates.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Deer Creek is the Goex distributor for our area. If anyone has it it will be them. Don't know the price for individual cans. About a year ago, I bought bulk 25# 2F for about $12 per pound. Only other suggestion is to wait for the NMLRA Spring Shoot at Friendship, IN but that is even a longer drive. It is open all week including weekends.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    It may be worth looking into what it would take to do a group buy ??
    I don't know how 25# or 50#'s of powder ships in order to divide it up properly.
    I have never done a group buy on here , but am sure there are some guide lines that one needs to follow .

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I think for the most part, they ship in 1lb cans. I believe the max you can ship is 50lbs (and some places cut you off at 25lbs) without some additional Federal rigmarole (license maybe?).

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Let us know if you are going in that direction and what it would cost per pound , as I would be interested in 4 / 5 # . Also have some in-laws in Civil War reenactment and have a cannon , that may be interested also .

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Bulk powder comes in a 25# box lined with a plastic bag. I transfered it to my empty 1# cans (you have been saving your old bp containers, right?) using an ice scoop and funnel. Did the transfer outside in case of spark.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Bulk powder comes in a 25# box lined with a plastic bag. I transfered it to my empty 1# cans (you have been saving your old bp containers, right?) using an ice scoop and funnel. Did the transfer outside in case of spark.

And you bought that from Deer Creek? Hmm.

Well, I shot them an email to see what their prices are and if they carry cannon powder.

In the meantime, I ordered a few individual 1 lb cans of Goex Cannon from Grafs, just so I have some to start with when I get my cannon up and running. Though at 4 to 6 oz of powder per shot (or more), I imagine it won't last me too long once I get it shooting.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    You might give them a call. They may not have a big call for 1F or Cannon granulation so it may not be in stock all the time. They were very nice when I bought powder. Were out of the 2F at first but took my contact info, called me when it came in and reserved a box till I could drive down. That was around the time when Goex was having production problems due to an explosion. Supply may be better now.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I just heard back from them. They sell for $19 per lb or $350 per 25lb case (I'm getting confirmation if that is 25 cans or bulk powder). They do charge a $32 hazmat fee on top of shipping if you want it shipped.

So, per case, that is probably the cheapest I've been able to find it by about $100, especially if you can avoid the hazmat/shipping fees. That might be worth an hour drive each way.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I'm betting that is $350 for the 25# bulk pack which equals $14 per lb. That would be in line with the price difference from when I purchased my 2F.
    Keep us posted.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I just heard back from them. They sell for $19 per lb or $350 per 25lb case (I'm getting confirmation if that is 25 cans or bulk powder). They do charge a $32 hazmat fee on top of shipping if you want it shipped.

So, per case, that is probably the cheapest I've been able to find it by about $100, especially if you can avoid the hazmat/shipping fees. That might be worth an hour drive each way.

I buy my 1F powder from powderinc. They will sell you 25#'s for $360 INCLUDING shipping AND hazmat fees. This is NOT bulk - it comes in 1# cans.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I buy my 1F powder from powderinc. They will sell you 25#'s for $360 INCLUDING shipping AND hazmat fees. This is NOT bulk - it comes in 1# cans.

I take it you are using KIK powder then? How do you like? Have you compared it to Goex or Swiss and if so, how does it stack up?

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    For local, I have bought my black powder from the Outdoorsman in Greenwood. They have it next to the checkout counter. But I haven't bought from them in years (they still have the storage container) so i don't know what they charge.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I made a run down to Deer Creek Products on Friday, picked up 2 pounds each of 1, 2, 3f goex, $19 a pound. Nice people, shop has no signage so if you do not know where you are going it is easy to miss. I recognized it from the google people view. They have a nice selection of muzzle loaders also. There is a 36 cal flintlock that is calling my name.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Late to the game, but you might give a call to 2nd Amendment Guns in Whitestown. Mitchel Starkey has been my supplier of 2f and 3f for the past few years.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    OP, what project do you have going that has to have 1F? I use 2F in my bowling ball mortar, also the 4 inch softball mortar. I will donate a can of Goex or skirmish (each are 2 f ) skirmish in slightly less powerful, 10 % less I believe, than Goex. I have used this for 13 years in my bowling ball mortar. If this will help?

Top Bottom