• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    So I am fairly new to reloading (3K-4K of 9mm, 44mag., & 45 Colt)

I have been using CCI primers on everything but picked up some S&B small pistol primers for the 9mm recently when on sale. I loaded up +-500 and have already noticed a difference. I have not shot any yet and am hoping to do so today.

What I have noticed is they seem softer than the CCI, I have a few in every 100 that look a little cupped in the middle and others that show a small half moon on the side from not sitting square on the primer piston.

The CCI have a radiused edge and the S&B are squared up which may explain why they don't get centered up on the primer piston as well.

Is this normal?

What has your luck been with them?

Now that the panic buys are over and primers are on the shelves should I save these for a rainy day and keep using the CCI?

I have a buddy that shoots whatever is the cheapest as he may run 20K-30K a year but I would rather spend the extra couple of pennies for better quality since my volume is a lot lower. Are the CCI worth the extra $6.00-$8.00 a 1,000?

Thanks

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm using S&B primers on 45acp with my Dillon 550.
    The radius issue with the shoulder makes them a little more difficult to pick up in the primer feed tube.
    Other than they I've had no trouble with them

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They aren't quite as hot as "brand name" primers, at least for my .38. It costs me about 25-50 fps vs CCI or Winchester. They are reliable, though, and for target loads I don't see any significant difference.

Top Bottom