• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A customer gave me what appears to be a bar of lead, but it is marked with the following,

Sn60 B.S. KESTER SOLDER E 1lb Sn60

So, I know it is solder, but what is the lead content, and what are the other alloys?
    Can anyone help?

Thanks

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good stuff for mold flow out, mixing it with something like plumbers or roofing lead. Antimony is what really hardens lead. Stuff like foundry type or machined industrial counterweights can be hard enough to ring when you hit it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As was already mentioned by the knowledgeable casters, tin is one of the two metals customarily alloyed with lead to harden and/or produce better filled out bullets, although the other (antimony) is the one that serves to harden it the most.
    Keep that tin and be grateful that you obtained a fairly large amount at no charge.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Tin will harden lead but I like tin because it makes the alloy tougher. A good rifle bullet for hunting should be tough and malleable. Too much antimony will cause bullets to become brittle.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah, antimony and other adjuncts can give you a bullet that fractures while mushrooming at close range and doesn't expand long range.
    The crystal structure of adjuncts as they solidify while the lead is yet molten does some strange things when you are trying to get good clean filled castings and also strange things when hitting flesh and bone.
    But a little bit of tin doesn't produce hardness so much as good flow characteristics to fill out the mold.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Great information, and even more good news.
    I got hold of a casting buddy and he is quite excited about getting the bar of solder, but I got a bonus.
    Another friend just dropped me off about 17lbs of reclaimed plumbers lead.
    This is stuff that was poured into a cast iron pipe joint on top of oakum.
    I would bet this stuff is really close to pure lead.

It's nice to have generous friends.
    I'll get some nice new cast boolits for my troubles...

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Neighbor gave me 400 pounds of linotype a few years back. Makes a real pretty rifle bullet! I mix it 20-1 with pure lead. Another buddy gave me 1000 pounds of the pure stuff. Another buddy gave me 750 pounds of WW lead. I think my garage floor is sinking.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Neighbor gave me 400 pounds of linotype a few years back. Makes a real pretty rifle bullet! I mix it 20-1 with pure lead. Another buddy gave me 1000 pounds of the pure stuff. Another buddy gave me 750 pounds of WW lead. I think my garage floor is sinking.

Don't let the EPA types get wind of your stock, they will throw you out and declare your house a Hazmat site.

Top Bottom