• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    My upcoming move positions me in a location where I can legally shoot and hunt, however still requiring that I dodge noise complaints. I picked up some 22 colibris and those should be just fine in my revolvers and other guns that I cannot suppress (whenever my can finally comes thru). Anyone try the Aquila 60 gr sniper rounds? They aren't stocked locally so I'd have to order them.

Any recommendations?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've shot some of the 60 gr stuff. Didn't have any issues with it that I can think of.

Depending on the speed of the rifling in your firearm, it may not be all that accurate due to stability issues. And check with your suppressor manufacturer if they'll "allow" it to be shot through the can. My can's instructions warn me against it due to stability issues.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    A regular .22 is too loud to avoid noise complaints?

I second the suppressor. I would like to get a few for my rifles just to be a polite neighbor even though all my neighbors shoot.

The problem is that I would rather never be called out on it as I'd lose the privilege, for sure. It's in a home owners association. Suppressor has been bought and paid for. Just waiting on uncle Sam. That doesn't solve revolvers, though. My wife is fully aware of my current love affair with S & W revolvers.

Are the 60 grainers quiet BEFOREa suppressor? CCI quiets? Colibris works just fine regarding noise. Is that my only option?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The problem is that I would rather never be called out on it as I'd lose the privilege, for sure. It's in a home owners association. Suppressor has been bought and paid for. Just waiting on uncle Sam. That doesn't solve revolvers, though. My wife is fully aware of my current love affair with S & W revolvers.

Ah, an HOA. I'll save my HOA rant for some other time, but I see why you wouldn't want an issue to begin with.

Put up a yard barn with a big window. Shoot out of the window. Keep the firearm inside the barn. :D

Unrelated, but that reminds me of a friend that specifically built his out building with a front and rear overhead door so that he could shoot through it to get the most distance he could across his property.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The sniper subs are cool but a lot of silencer companies aren't a fan of you using them, they destabilize pretty bad.

Just stick to standard velocity/subsonic 22 and you'll be golden. If you're super worried go CCI Quiets but really though a semi auto or a bolt gun a standard velocity 22 is quieter than most farts

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Like Gabriel said, with us it's a matter of being polite.
    The neighbors occasionally bangety-bang-bang dump a mag and I certainly do not have an issue with anybody shooting.
    With me though usually the arm of choice is a flintlock or percussion rifle with extended periods between shots. That means the shooting would stretch out over an appreciable amount of time. People being people and all so often looking for something to complain about they would probably not be happy with that so I go to a shooting range. That way they don't start it and there's nothing to finish.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    God, I love living in the country...I'll take slow internet speeds and truly quiet evenings over a mcmansion in a HOA any day!

CCI's quiet 22's can be shot w/o hearing protection, from a rifle, but from a pistol they still have a decent crack. It all depends on just how close/sensitive your neighbors are, I guess.

What I don't understand is how you say you'll be able to hunt, but you're worried about sound from a gun. I guess your definition of enough acreage to hunt must be a little different than mine? :dunno:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Country living...
    That's when you throw rocks at the deer eating your grape vines, blue berry bushes and fruit trees.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    God, I love living in the country...I'll take slow internet speeds and truly quiet evenings over a mcmansion in a HOA any day!

CCI's quiet 22's can be shot w/o hearing protection, from a rifle, but from a pistol they still have a decent crack. It all depends on just how close/sensitive your neighbors are, I guess.

What I don't understand is how you say you'll be able to hunt, but you're worried about sound from a gun. I guess your definition of enough acreage to hunt must be a little different than mine? :dunno:

I own 6 acres. It goes from mostly dry to true southern swamp depending on the season. My acreage is surrounded by similar and few houses that are not a part of the HOA. I can shoot a few rounds without drawing undue attention. I cannot get good pistol practice in without potentially harming my good standing in the HOA.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I shoot the Quiet-22 rounds at the 100 yard steel, on the range behind my house. Where the wire of the reticle goes from thin to thick, well below the actual crosshairs, is what I use to aim with. On humid days, I can see the bullet as it arcs back down and into the steel. If I'm wearing hearing protection, I can barely hear the impact, but I can always see it through the scope.

There is just under 30 acres between my property and the vacant one next door, but it is hilly and lays out very well for access. There are few neighbors, no HOA, and reasonably abundant wildlife. I thin the squirrel population each fall, but those things breed like rats! :)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Country living...
    That's when you throw rocks at the deer eating your grape vines, blue berry bushes and fruit trees.

While we were eating breakfast this morning two of the most nefarious perps (last year they were belt high bush munchers) came through the yard and put their noses up to the protective cage wire, turned and looked at us like dogs with an empty bowl. I laughed and said no you don't get any!

This is about how it was in Liberty County, Texas. Kin folk would say hey you can deer hunt off your back porch.
    I'd try to keep a straight face and say "Oh no, you don't understand. They have names."

It helps if you have a watch cat to let you know they're around.
    dreamingofthekill.jpg

Rummaging around this morning found an old box of some 0.359 diameter 115 grain truncated cone plain bases with one lube groove to make pellet rifle loads for the .35 Remington. And some 160 grain SWC's. Got some 190 grain WFN's somewhere. Might be even more fun than 110 grainers in the lever action .308.

Last edited:

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I've fired several colibri and am happy with them for the intended purpose of continuing to fire my revolvers under 25. I compared them in a double blind scientific study against CCI quiet -22 and colibri wins, hands down. Something I hadn't previously considered was 22 short. Now I must find that for further comparisons.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Talking 1980's, CCI and Remington short hollow points would "crack" half the time using a 16" barrel on a bolt action.
    With however they are loaded now a longer barrel might slow them down a bit and provide quiet hunting.

Anyone pulling bullets and removing part of the powder could probably fix up LR hollow points to work just fine.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I think you'll be very happy with the CCI Quiets. Here's a non-scientific comparison video.

[video=youtube_share;aw444AyMjxI]http://youtu.be/aw444AyMjxI[/video]​

Top Bottom