• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My father-in-law is thinking about a Hipoint carbine in 9mm for varmint (coons and the like) for his property. I said they were pretty good rifles and might be a decent choice. He has also shot my AR and likes it too (but really likes the Hipoint price). Maximum range would be about 75-90 yards.

What bullet would be good for these critters? I'm thinking light weight, 115 or less, for the job.

What have you used for this?

Pistol boy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Griffith
    115gr is cheap and easy to find. Or if you reload throw some 147gr at them buggers. Although if he trees them shot gun prob will be better. How much property and what's around him? 9mm will travel

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    He owns 14 acers but is out in farm country. There is a farm near by behind the NE side of the property and a house across the road to the south. Most of his shots will be low as they will be taken when they are trying to get into the chicken house.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Maybe those spatter nosed light weight hollow points they make for reloading .380's? He could make chicken feed at the same time!
    Really though, isn't reliable feeding (the gun not the chickens) the only thing that's a'gonna matter?

If it was me I'd shoot wheel weights through it and use the flattest nose cup point that would function OK.
    But that's just me.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Cor-Bon has a 90 gr +P at 1,500 fps. I wonder what the fps would be from a carbine.

I hadn't thought of the fragment rounds. I wonder how something like the powerball would do.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Bullet shouldn't matter too much as shot placement is more critical. A 115, 124, or 147 gr HP will anchor a raccoon as long as it hits the right spot. The carbine should work nicely. I watched my dad use his beretta 92 to take a couple groundhogs at about 60' in the barnyard at my uncles farm. Those 115s opened up and anchored the groundhogs like they were hit by lightning.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    This is a .45ACP from a five inch barrel. No doubt a 9mm from a carbine could get really stupid, dumb and dumber.

452484 HP.jpg

Or as an anti-gun marxist university rag once said while killing off a character in one of their politically slanted comic strips, dumb-dumbs for the dumb-dumb.
    Not that I have anything against coons, but they go for chickens like kids on ice cream. Last one I dealt with was an injured baby about four years ago that was so banged up, so hurt that the little rascal could only take three steps without stopping. Got it healed up pretty well and then had to relocate it to keep it from being killed by our nearest neighbors. The coon got to know that people were OK and would have visited them (and their chickens) sooner or later.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    This is a .45ACP from a five inch barrel. No doubt a 9mm from a carbine could get really stupid, dumb and dumber.

View attachment 55573

Or as an anti-gun marxist university rag once said while killing off a character in one of their politically slanted comic strips, dumb-dumbs for the dumb-dumb.
    Not that I have anything against coons, but they go for chickens like kids on ice cream. Last one I dealt with was an injured baby about four years ago that was so banged up, so hurt that the little rascal could only take three steps without stopping. Got it healed up pretty well and then had to relocate it to keep it from being killed by our nearest neighbors. The coon got to know that people were OK and would have visited them (and their chickens) sooner or later.

Rehabbing coons is bad policy and unless you're a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, it could get you in legal trouble. Besides getting shunned by your chicken owning neighbors. Known guys to live trap 'em, paint their tail orange, carry them 10 miles away, and have them be back in two days.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Rehabbing coons is bad policy and unless you're a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, it could get you in legal trouble. Besides getting shunned by your chicken owning neighbors. Known guys to live trap 'em, paint their tail orange, carry them 10 miles away, and have them be back in two days.

To each his own. And thanks, but I don't need advice on how or whether or not to care for an injured baby.
    By the time "Snuffy" would come a running, shinnying down the big oak out back when called, well, healing was pretty far along and it was time to move on.
    About the last thing I'd want to have is a pet coon no matter how sweet she was. They're too smart, they have hands and no sense of appropriate behavior. Kinda missed Snuffy though for a while.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    It kind of makes me giggle a little in some of the posts. It sounds like we are discussing ethical kill shots on coons?

I am sorry and you guys can say what you will but I shoot them with whatever is close at hand. Whether that be a 300 win mag. or a 22lr, hell I have shot them with 410 bird shot before. They don't fall out of the tree or fall over dead but I know they aren't going to be a problem in the future, just saying.

They rake havoc on our chickens, carry a hole host nasty bugs, can cost a ton of $ if your dog gets one cornered....got no place for them at our house.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I believe a 10/22 or Model 60 will be plenty. I've gotten 1/2 dozen of both racoons and possums with both.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    One more post on quiet loads...

For the .35 Remington "pellet gun" loads the NEI 124 grain bevel based truncated cone nose molded from wheel weights and 1 1/2 grains of Unique.
    Loudest thing heard was the slap of the cardboard target. Good for squirrel yes, coons uhn-uhn.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I believe a 10/22 or Model 60 will be plenty. I've gotten 1/2 dozen of both racoons and possums with both.

Totally agree, especially if you give it just a bit more slap with Velocitors or Stingers.
    As an alternative that gives you about 50% more power, a .22 Magnum would do quite nicely.

Top Bottom