• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    So I was at my favorite local indoor shooting range today, and was picking up some range brass on my way out, and one of the employees stopped me and told me that was against policy. I could pick up my own brass, but that was it.

I felt bad, and honestly, I have had some of the other employees sweep some of the loose range brass my way on occasion so I had no idea it was against policy. It is certainly not posted anywhere.

Is this pretty standard procedure? I had no idea I was violating the rules...

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yep, once it hits the floor it's theirs unless it was yours to begin with. Pretty standard rule at most indoor ranges.

Why, you ask? Follow the money.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    One of the local indoor ranges sells reloaded ammo. They must reload the "floor sweepings" I only pick up my brass. I had a guy there(not an employee) tell me that we weren't suppose to keep the spent brass, that is was suppose to go in a can "over there". I said I leep my brass and if someone from the range wants to inform me other wise that it would be my last trip there. I kinda figured it was BS. I did not bother asking on my way out.

I don't like reloading unknown brass. Pistol rounds might get a little leeway with me but I just shoot & reload my known brass. I keep track of the how many times reloaded. I'd toss brass after a few split cased but I haven't spit that many cases. I have had cases split on reloads I have bought at the local range. I reload everything here at home now.

Hows your new setup going? I am sure you are still loving it! It's about time to start reloading here this summer shooting season. I have not reloaded anything since early winter. Having issue with my back. I have a second procedure done tomorrow. I hope to be good enough to start shooting in the next few weeks.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    One of the local indoor ranges sells reloaded ammo. They must reload the "floor sweepings" I only pick up my brass. I had a guy there(not an employee) tell me that we weren't suppose to keep the spent brass, that is was suppose to go in a can "over there". I said I leep my brass and if someone from the range wants to inform me other wise that it would be my last trip there. I kinda figured it was BS. I did not bother asking on my way out.

I don't like reloading unknown brass. Pistol rounds might get a little leeway with me but I just shoot & reload my known brass. I keep track of the how many times reloaded. I'd toss brass after a few split cased but I haven't spit that many cases. I have had cases split on reloads I have bought at the local range. I reload everything here at home now.

Hows your new setup going? I am sure you are still loving it! It's about time to start reloading here this summer shooting season. I have not reloaded anything since early winter. Having issue with my back. I have a second procedure done tomorrow. I hope to be good enough to start shooting in the next few weeks.

WOW asking you not to pick up your own brass?
    It's like if you dropped your wallet would they tell you to leave it on the floor? :):

I've been to range where NOT picking your own brass was considered rude.
    You need to leave the place clean for people (doesn't matter if you take it with you or drop it in a box there).

You certainly want to pick your own brass if you shoot outside on public land.
    Don't leave trash behind.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    WOW asking you not to pick up your own brass?
    It's like if you dropped your wallet would they tell you to leave it on the floor? :):

I've been to range where NOT picking your own brass was considered rude.
    You need to leave the place clean for people (doesn't matter if you take it with you or drop it in a box there).

You certainly want to pick your own brass if you shoot outside on public land.
    Don't leave trash behind.

I worded that wrong. Pick up and put it on there brass can. I leave the range as clean if not usually cleaner then when I got there.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I worded that wrong. Pick up and put it on there brass can. I leave the range as clean if not usually cleaner then when I got there.

Oh I got that.
    But if the guy told you you couldn't pick it up and bring it back with you that's BS especially if you brought your own ammo.
    Even if it's ammo you buy at the range.If you bought it you own the brass too and can take it home.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Brass reclamation varies from range to range and event to event.

Roush Lake DNR range, for example, allows folks to pick up their own brass. All else belongs to the range, and it does provide income.
    The last time I shot the Glock GSSF match, it was a "lost brass" event, meaning the brass stayed on the ground and volunteers for the match had access to it.
    TDI-Ohio (John Benner's group) lets anyone pick up as much brass as desired. TDI-Ohio does not reclaim brass for scrap; so, those folks are happy to see people police the range(s).
    I shot for two days with the Indiana SWAT Officers Association (ISOA) on May 2 and 3 at the Carmel PD range. Not only were we allowed to pick up any brass, the range master gave us boxes and a fancy Ammo Up machine to pick up the brass: thousands of once-fired 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP, as most attendees were shooting ammo provided by their agencies.

In my classes conducted on a private range, I tell the students they are welcome to any or all of the brass, if they wish. Otherwise, I keep it.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks everyone. I guess I need to be more observant. I belong to ACC, and I think they encourage the picking up of discarded brass, but after today, I am going to make sure I ask first.

@1911LY: Loving the new setup! Light years ahead of the LCT as far as throughput goes. I hope things go well with your procedure tomorrow. Bad back stuff sucks for sure.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've collected a ton of brass at Wilbur Wright. I used to go early Sunday morning, and most of the time they hadn't cleaned up from the previous day, so you pick up yours and whatever is left from the day before.

A couple of times when my son and I were the only ones there on a drizzly morning, we even picked up a bunch of lead.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Yes standard practice. Brass is worth a bunch. Over a dollar a pound in my area currently.

I get around it by asking others to save their brass for me if they don't want it and they dump it in my range bag on their way out.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I ask folks that bring Ammo in a WalMart or Rural King bag of their going to save their Brass. When their done I clean it up and it goes in my Range Bag. I clean up the rest of the area near me and that Brass goes in the Range Bucket. I also remove Targets others leave behind. Save the Rangemaster some time at the end of the day. Pat It Forward Folks!.

MD Coltrane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2023
    Granger, IN
    I'm done shooting at DNR ranges. Too many cocky young R/O's think the brass you paid for belongs to the state. We pay excise on our ammunition and the state is just plain greedy! Indiana's coffers are overflowing. If they want an entrance fee per shooting day, I will gladly divvy up $5 a day if they would leave the brass for the shooters.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, it varies from range to range. Like it was mentioned ACC encourages scrounging as much as you want after a match.
    Proteq says "pick up your own brass. Put it in your range bag or in their recycling buckets. As long as its not left behind on the ground." Once brass goes in their bucket, its theirs and is off-limits.

MD Coltrane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2023
    Granger, IN
    Yeah, it varies from range to range. Like it was mentioned ACC encourages scrounging as much as you want after a match.
    Proteq says "pick up your own brass. Put it in your range bag or in their recycling buckets. As long as its not left behind on the ground." Once brass goes in their bucket, its theirs and is off-limits.
    Have you ever been to Jasper-Pulaski? They don't police any of their brass there and have a few gestapo range officers who watch you pick it up. Then they jump your ass for picking up your brass! That place could be nice, but cordial staffing and lack of infrastructure is holding it back. I say it's taxpayers' brass, not the states. I talked to a lawyer buddy of mine who agrees. They didn't provide you with ammunition to shoot there. They need to charge a daily fee if they need more cash for maintenance.

MD Coltrane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2023
    Granger, IN
    I pick up lots of brass when I go to Tim’s Academy in Westfield .

I never had anyone tell me I couldn’t.
    Howard Township Conservation Club in Niles, MI was the best range I belonged to. They gave you the combination to get on the property and had concrete benches set up for the 100m and 200m ranges. They had 15m and 50m pistol and rimfire bunkers also. Nice trap stations also. Brass was leave it or pick up as much as on the ground. No R/O, but you were to report any dangerous condition to the committee. I think the 4 years I belonged, I saw one guy and his son that needed safety lessons. These DNR ranges, especially Kingsbury, where you have terrible staff and super strict rules are not even enjoyable to shoot at.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If a policy is clearly posted then whatever. But if it’s not posted and you are just supposed to know and they give you crap, then screw ‘em for poor customer relations.

FWIW, I have been cleaning up an old shut down range (with permission from the new property owner) and have so far netted 2 5 gallon buckets full of brass and about 140lbs of lead.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Have you ever been to Jasper-Pulaski? They don't police any of their brass there and have a few gestapo range officers who watch you pick it up. Then they jump your ass for picking up your brass! That place could be nice, but cordial staffing and lack of infrastructure is holding it back. I say it's taxpayers' brass, not the states. I talked to a lawyer buddy of mine who agrees. They didn't provide you with ammunition to shoot there. They need to charge a daily fee if they need more cash for maintenance.
    Yes I was at JP and picking up brass where I was shooting not mine it was the guy before me. The RO drove up and told me I could not do that. So I tried to hand it to him so he would not have to pick it up later. I did pick up mine. So now if I want to pick up brass I look to see where the brass is and that is where I shoot.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom